• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] iNtP...?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have tried to figure out one persons MBTI type for some time now. He doesn't like me to analyze him type but I try it anyway. ;) (I know him very well so he really doesn't hate me for trying to do that.)

This person has agreed that he is extremely strong N and very strong P. So I was thinking up a theory of him. Let's say he is iNtP. In function test Ne is his best used function. So, could it be that his iNtP causes that even if he is introvert, his Ne is so strong that it overpowers Ti. So he is very much like ENTP's except he is quite reflective.

How does this sound? Have you experience with iNtP's? How do they seem?
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This person has agreed that he is extremely strong N and very strong P. So I was thinking up a theory of him. Let's say he is iNtP. In function test Ne is his best used function. So, could it be that his iNtP causes that even if he is introvert, his Ne is so strong that it overpowers Ti. So he is very much like ENTP's except the he is quite reflective.

Yes, it's possible for an introvert to focus on their secondary if they are discouraged from using or at least revealing their primary in childhood or on the job, etc. So they can mimic the extroverted version of their type.

The main difference is as you point out, the "reflective" side is much more apparent. Another indicator is that while ENTP feeds off interaction and often roams around looking for interaction whenever possible, INTP with strong Ne will still be drained by socializing even if they seem to enjoy it -- they will often suddenly withdraw, as if a switch was thrown. And they don't go around as often seeking to "cause socializing." Most ENTPs are like puppies that way, looking to stimulate interaction.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
One of our lovely paradoxes: we analyse all the time and yet don't want to be analysed ourselves. At least, that's what we may pretend ;)

ms_ambivalence

MBTI Type
INTP
my INFP friend hates it completly when he is catagorized in any way by me. I should just accept he is uniquely special.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have tried to figure out one persons MBTI type for some time now. He doesn't like me to analyze him type but I try it anyway. ;) (I know him very well so he really doesn't hate me for trying to do that.)

This person has agreed that he is extremely strong N and very strong P. So I was thinking up a theory of him. Let's say he is iNtP. In function test Ne is his best used function. So, could it be that his iNtP causes that even if he is introvert, his Ne is so strong that it overpowers Ti. So he is very much like ENTP's except he is quite reflective.

Any thoughts?

That's possible. I know some INTP's who seem to focus more on Ne than on Ti, yet Ti still seems to affect Ne somehow before it appears. It's hard to explain.

Most of them seem to be more strongly Ti, but I've also seen the kind you're talking about.

I don't understand their aversion to being analyzed. I usually like it, and only dislike it if the person comes up with something negative about me and shares it with others. If they tell just me, I usually don't even mind negative ones as much.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't understand their aversion to being analyzed.

That's because we don't like being the subjects. We like to be the observers not the observed.

It reminds us that we're just the lowly humans like everyone else, not the impartial panel we like to think of ourselves as. I know that when I think, usually about global issues, that I imagine it from the point of view of an alien who has no interaction with the planet. We have trouble thinking of ourselves as part of the multitude. We're never in the crowd, the crowd is around us.

It is arrogance, and there really is no excuse we can give for it.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP

Any thoughts?

Well remember, it's just a test. He could be some totally different type for all you know. Any number of confusing results can come out of that test, because people almost never answer the function questions like they're supposed to. They answer yes to shadow functions because the filter/interpret the description through thier dominant or auxiliary process. Some older people will score high on thier sixth function. Many also have almost equal scores between dominant and opposing functions, because the dominant sees it as 'the same thing'.
Now, with the possibility that he's an ENTP: in this culture that we live in that expects one-sidedness, you'd expect every 'extrovert' to be some kind of diva. But we know that extroverts can also be shy.