• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and hyperliteralism

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do INTPs tend to be more literal than other N types? I've heard from various places that INTPs tend to be overly literal at times. Maybe its because they seek clarity and precision in their thoughts and ideas that it gives them that impression?

I'm kind of leaning towards INTP for my type, even though I'm a strong N overall, I have this hyperliteral trait. When reading stuff, I generally prefer that writers just say what they mean and mean what they say because its a whole lot easier to establish logical clarity that way. I tend to shy away from the really figurative and symbolic stuff. A lot of poetry is lost on me, I have trouble wrapping my head around it. Probably because I'm overanalyzing it, when its more feeling based. When I read something I want the message to be clear and with much poetry, the reader makes their own meaning out of it, which is too fuzzy for me.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
On the contrary, my everyday language is glistening with metaphors.

Lucky_Rabbit

MBTI Type
iNTp
Enneagram
IDK
Maybe when it comes to reading we like to come to our own conclusion instead of wat the writer is trying to say so we often miss the meanings inbetween

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the contrary, my everyday language is glistening with metaphors.

:yes:

I find it extremely tough to be literal. Everytime I try to be, it's like writing a book that has no ending. I use symbolism, metaphors, and other tricks, in order to compress my language. I like deep, thought provoking, written literature. I am good at spotting metaphors, puns, and the likes, and I thoroughly enjoy reading them. Literal literature bores me sideways.

However! Bad clichés, poor written depth, annoying puns and painful metaphors will get on my nerves from time to time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs can be very metaphorical in terms of their Ne use. It's a type of broad inductive reasoning.

However, in terms of being precise in logic, yes, INTPs will parse statements for logic exactly as expressed. Your words matter. One small word can change the strength of the statement, and if the nuance is off, the INTP will note it as "wrong."

Also, in terms of relational intelligence, the INTP might often take words at face value rather than naturally understanding the emotional cues that are driving them. A lot of relational communication is not literal, it is an organic exchange with multiple types of cues.

For example, if your girlfriend of a few months says it's okay if you don't get her a card on her birthday, it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't want a card on her birthday. She might be letting you off the hook from buying something because she doesn't want to control you but she also hopes to see that you care about her all on her own; so if you take it literally and not buy her a card, she'll be hurt, and actually might be expecting/hoping you'll get her something or do something anyway. INTPs get pissed about stuff like this because it comes across as a "lie" because her comment was not literally true; but it was true in the respect she wants to see an authentic display of commitment, and there are other cues that are often missed by budding INTPs to suggest she does want a card after all.

Crazy, I know.
But either you sink or swim.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For example, if your girlfriend of a few months says it's okay if you don't get her a card on her birthday, it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't want a card on her birthday. She might be letting you off the hook from buying something because she doesn't want to control you but she also hopes to see that you care about her all on her own; so if you take it literally and not buy her a card, she'll be hurt, and actually might be expecting/hoping you'll get her something or do something anyway. INTPs get pissed about stuff like this because it comes across as a "lie" because her comment was not literally true; but it was true in the respect she wants to see an authentic display of commitment, and there are other cues that are often missed by budding INTPs to suggest she does want a card after all.

Crazy, I know.

In that sense, yeah, I'm literal too. I don't like being puppeteered. But that's not in the literal sense. That's only an issue in personal relations.. It's funny you use this example though. On my sisters last birthday she said she wanted money. To which I responded that I'll get her what I want to get her and whatever she says will not influence me in the slightest!

Ironically, I was the one ending up lying as well, because I gave her a monopoly game, thus I let myself be influenced by her by choosing a gift based on what she wanted to have. She downright manipulated me, grr! Luckily, she is an ESFJ and doesn't see through things like that though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In that sense, yeah, I'm literal too. I don't like being puppeteered.

It is rather funny to me too, in the sense that when I was experienced enough to realize what people actually did want or what I was expected to do... I'd still feel an immediate kneejerk reaction and be tempted to give them exactly what they said they did or did not want, because I didn't like feeling forced to play their game!

Ironically, I was the one ending up lying as well, because I gave her a monopoly game, thus I let myself be influenced by her by choosing a gift based on what she wanted to have.

it sucks being a P.

She downright manipulated me, grr! Luckily, she is an ESFJ and doesn't see through things like that though.

heh.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Actually I'm very interested in metaphors. I would have to guess it's the analyzing of the meaning that gets me interested. I can usually read through a person's wording enough to know what they really mean versus what words they use.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Metaphors are nice playthings. You can write a beatiful poem or bit of prose, or flesh out an argument... They can get you in trouble when doing serious work though - I find the mind can be limited by the metaphors chosen (particularly true in science).

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Some subjects demand the rigorous use of language (ie scientific debate) while some are inherently incoherent (love, etc).

Also, speaking figuratively is fun.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTPs can be very metaphorical in terms of their Ne use. It's a type of broad inductive reasoning.

However, in terms of being precise in logic, yes, INTPs will parse statements for logic exactly as expressed. Your words matter. One small word can change the strength of the statement, and if the nuance is off, the INTP will note it as "wrong."

I guess now that I think of it, it isn't so much figurativeness that's the problem, but its when something is worded in a way that's ambiguous.

I use and enjoy metaphors and make up my own. Don't have a problem with them as long as I'm clear what the real underlying meaning is.

Sometimes I have trouble understanding instructions because I'll see more than one way that they can be interpreted and I'm not sure what the writer's original intention was. That's a problem.

I totally relate to parsing statements for logic. Alot of humor is based on what if I take this statement to the logical extreme.

Yes, every word matters. I used to hate writing papers because I'd be so damn perfectionistic about the wording. I have ideas that are hard to express because sometimes its hard to come up with just the right word. I don't want people to unintentionally misinterpret what I'm saying.

Also, in terms of relational intelligence, the INTP might often take words at face value rather than naturally understanding the emotional cues that are driving them. A lot of relational communication is not literal, it is an organic exchange with multiple types of cues.

Crazy, I know.

I completely relate to that. I think I might have a mild case of Aspergers syndrome. I know that as a child, I fit just about all of the criteria for it according to the DSM manual. In relational settings, I oftentimes didn't catch on to hints or sarcasm. I expected that people would be truthful in their words and say exactly what they meant. It took me a while to grasp all these little cues and I'm still learning.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:yes:

I find it extremely tough to be literal. Everytime I try to be, it's like writing a book that has no ending. I use symbolism, metaphors, and other tricks, in order to compress my language. I like deep, thought provoking, written literature. I am good at spotting metaphors, puns, and the likes, and I thoroughly enjoy reading them. Literal literature bores me sideways.

However! Bad clichés, poor written depth, annoying puns and painful metaphors will get on my nerves from time to time.

^
This. I know people find it hard to listen or make out my meaning when I talk. I can't help it....

MBTI Type
ESFJ

This and this:

Sometimes I have trouble understanding instructions because I'll see more than one way that they can be interpreted and I'm not sure what the writer's original intention was. That's a problem.

I totally relate to parsing statements for logic. Alot of humor is based on what if I take this statement to the logical extreme.

Yes, every word matters. I used to hate writing papers because I'd be so damn perfectionistic about the wording. I have ideas that are hard to express because sometimes its hard to come up with just the right word. I don't want people to unintentionally misinterpret what I'm saying.

Normally I'll speak in metaphors, but in debates I'll do the above.