• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ's more prone to obsessions?

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm not sure if this has done before, if it has I'm quite sorry.

I curious as to if other people here have felt this way. As an ENTJ, I feel I'm more driven to get things done faster than most people. I continually wish to be in the future and therefore rush time, events, things, etc to go by ridiculously fast in order to reach "the future". This is debilitating at times because I tend to push people or rush into things, when I should be "patient".

I will then obsess over these things UNTIL I have carried them out. It's like, I can't stop thinking about it to the point where I can't do anything else. I am so focused on a particular thing happening. I especially find it difficult when it pertains to people.

Or for example, when I find something enjoyable I will do it to excess. I keep doing it over and over and over until someone (generally a kind friend) tells me I should stop. This is with work, working out...other things.

If anyone else feels this way, even if you aren't an ENTJ, how do you stop one track focusing on something and obsessing about it? It could be just a deep flaw with no regards to my personality, but even if that is the case, any advice is much appreciated.

G

Glycerine

It's the future focus with Se as the relief. "I have to do this NOW or it's going to screw up the FUTURE." :devil: I think ENXJs seem to struggle with this the most.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow has enough worries of its own.

I'm always "peering" into the future. I know where I want to be tomorrow and I know where I want to be in 2, 5, 10 years. But those moments will not arrive any sooner because of my extreme focus on them. I see the world "happening" or "unfolding" at a certain speed and there's nothing I can do to speed it up or slow it down. All I can do is be in it as it unfolds. I can influence a lot of things as it unfolds, but rushing around like a madman or like a chicken with my head cut off, doesn't do me or anyone else any good. All it does is stress everyone out and make the process less enjoyable. Learn to be satisfied with having one, good, solid workout per day (or every other day). You won't be the world's fittest man next week, but surely you'll be on your way to feeling better. Learn to gain satisfaction out of the "process" and the "progress" you are making, slow as it may seem. After 1 week of working out, you're tired, but your muscles are just a little bit more firm. After 3 weeks, you start to have more energy. After 2 months, someone says, "Have you been working out?" After 6 months, "You look really good!" After 2 years, "Hey, where do you work out? Do you think you could show me your work out routine?" Learn to enjoy those small improvements as they unfold, rather than wanting them all tomorrow.

Look into the future. Have a clear vision of where you're going. But, don't rush that. Let it come to you at its own natural speed. It's a huge weight off your shoulders when you stop trying to carry it like a big, heavy backpack.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
vieamemusique, your experience seems a bit strange. If you feel the need to push people into a rush-job, you might, just might, suck at what you do.

David Hackworth, a US Army Colonel, once remarked that if we find ourselves in a fair fight, we didn't plan our mission properly.

For example, consider the building of a piece of software. After we get the concepts correct, we'll want to hit certain benchmarks at certain points of time. A job well-planned is a job well-done.

As far as personal time goes, who gives a shit, right? If you want to be obsessive, go for it! It is no one else's business; there is no normal way to have fun. Since I never was a big hit with the ladies, books end up filling up my free time, mostly philosophy with some literature mixed in.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
vieamemusique, your experience seems a bit strange. If you feel the need to push people into a rush-job, you might, just might, suck at what you do.

David Hackworth, a US Army Colonel, once remarked that if we find ourselves in a fair fight, we didn't plan our mission properly.

For example, consider the building of a piece of software. After we get the concepts correct, we'll want to hit certain benchmarks at certain points of time. A job well-planned is a job well-done.

As far as personal time goes, who gives a shit, right? If you want to be obsessive, go for it! It is no one else's business; there is no normal way to have fun. Since I never was a big hit with the ladies, books end up filling up my free time, mostly philosophy with some literature mixed in.

with particular jobs, i rush them. but these are the ones I find boring. I rush those in order to get to the big jobs.
But mostly it is in my personal time.

Lark

I get obsessive about chicks I fancy sometimes, its a two way street though.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I rush to BECOME my future self. Not to LIVE the future. That's why I can get so philosophical and try to find my perfect answer to life's questions.

I get people telling me I need to allow myself to be happy and just enjoy life because of this.

Lark

I tell you what we are more prone to:-

Getting shit right, first time.

Getting shit done, in record time.

Getting awesome.

Being right, all the time.

Judging the hell out of that shit. Being right to do so. Being right about it.

Getting the love of everyone. Even the people who got all resentful to begin with.