• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] XNTPs and frustration with limits

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Venting:

I am feeling very frustrated at the moment. :steam:

I love what I do, work long hours in research and development and development of online learning resources as well as teaching. I am left/right brain balanced, right handed (I know - unusual in my area) and XNTP.

So what is my problem?? :huh:

I have a recurrence of a right shoulder injury and have to limit my mouse work and whiteboard work. How do I find the balance between doing what I enjoy - my work and research on talent & aptitude, crocheting, reading and gardening AND making certain this thing repairs.

I had a cortisone injection yesterday into the joint and may have to have surgery to repair a tendon tear. I taught for 3 hours today but the pain was bad so my manager wants someone else to teach my two 4hr Illustrator classes tomorrow.

My greatest fear in life is boredom - I am certain there is a lesson in there somewhere!!

The college has ordered voice-to-text software so I can continue writing and I do have tenure and this is considered a work related injury BUT despite all of these good points I feel very irritable :doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You definitly need to take time to bring structure into your projects. After reading only your post, it looks like structure is a thing you could need.

My girlfriend has a similiar problem, which is maybe not the same as yours, but similiar: she wants to have things completed all at once. And because she doesnt manage her approach to completing a task, like for example learning for an exam and rather takes in all information at once or unstructured, she becomes desperate about if she can handle the projekt at all.

I took some time and sat down with her to encourage her to make a masterplan to complete a project. Now with this plan in the back of her head and a clear overview of progress on a task, it's more easy for her to relax and concentrate on the real objects.

Maybe doing a masterplan is a thing for you too. If you got health problems that hinder you from doing certain things, you should calculate a factor like that in and maybe schedule some recreation times in which you read about intresting stuff. I do that a lot for myself, lately so often that I am already lazy again :D.

but when you relax your shoulder, you have in time more power again to do work with it, maybe watch a movie, there are some intresting movies to come in the next months :).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Limits are SUCK.

When I was still playing football, I got an achilles heel injury, but instead of letting it heal, I kept trying to play. Most of the games I had to cut out after first half because the pain would be too much. Right up to the point of me having to quit it alltogether because of it. When I realized that I wouldn't likely be playing football ever again, things got a lot easier though.

It seems I had most problems with not wanting to wait for my body to heal, and wanted to do the things I wanted to do now without delay. But once it was definitive, and I had to quit football, it was easy for me to accept and move on to other things.

Ironic, huh..

Force yourself to give your body the time it needs to heal.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You definitly need to take time to bring structure into your projects. After reading only your post, it looks like structure is a thing you could need.

My girlfriend has a similiar problem, which is maybe not the same as yours, but similiar: she wants to have things completed all at once. And because she doesnt manage her approach to completing a task, like for example learning for an exam and rather takes in all information at once or unstructured, she becomes desperate about if she can handle the projekt at all.

I took some time and sat down with her to encourage her to make a masterplan to complete a project. Now with this plan in the back of her head and a clear overview of progress on a task, it's more easy for her to relax and concentrate on the real objects.

Maybe doing a masterplan is a thing for you too. If you got health problems that hinder you from doing certain things, you should calculate a factor like that in and maybe schedule some recreation times in which you read about intresting stuff. I do that a lot for myself, lately so often that I am already lazy again :D.

but when you relax your shoulder, you have in time more power again to do work with it, maybe watch a movie, there are some intresting movies to come in the next months :).

Thanks for the input! :blush: Now I have vented I will take the time to evaluate.

I had a masterplan but unfortunately the shoulder didn't come into it. :(

I am however a natural optimist - the glass half full type - so will need to reevaluate and see what lessons can be learned. One of those I suspect is to slow down. The new software will give me a chance to be productive even with this hiccup.

You are right tho - I am impatient and I want everything done NOW! LOL I have however discovered that even in adversity there is always a blessing. I will dust myself off and replan I think and may start a blog when the software arrives.

I am going to miss the immediacy of creating all of the visuals for my projects to give them a sense of the spatial that my more visual learners use - unless I can find a way to create vector images etc by voice.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Limits are SUCK.

When I was still playing football, I got an achilles heel injury, but instead of letting it heal, I kept trying to play. Most of the games I had to cut out after first half because the pain would be too much. Right up to the point of me having to quit it alltogether because of it. When I realized that I wouldn't likely be playing football ever again, things got a lot easier though.

It seems I had most problems with not wanting to wait for my body to heal, and wanted to do the things I wanted to do now without delay. But once it was definitive, and I had to quit football, it was easy for me to accept and move on to other things.

Ironic, huh..

Force yourself to give your body the time it needs to heal.

Thanks for sharing your story!

That is ironic - and have you found new passions?

Last time life slipped me a few curve balls I had to change direction too :) I am hoping that this time I won't need to as I really love what I do.:huh:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Nescio's joke. Entropie approved of it.

And you all know how good a joke is when Entropie approves. :newwink:

Thank you - must be the pain meds I didn't notice the link in Nescio's post. Apologies to Nescio and thanks FluffyWolf for pointing it out! :blush:

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Here's a tip you can use to make your computer mouse work more comfortable.

Wacom%20Bamboo%20bam_front2.jpg

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Here's a tip you can use to make your computer mouse work more comfortable.

Wacom%20Bamboo%20bam_front2.jpg

Thanks for reminding me Shimmy ;)

I have one but to date have used it very little - something about 26 years of fine tuning my vector skills using the mouse has both contributed to the problem and made me much too comfortable I think!! So much so that I didn't even consider this as an alternative - but you are right and it may very well help! :hug:

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I think the "nothing is impossible" we try to apply to ourselves is always forgetting that we are flesh and blood and that the will does not necessarily match the body's limitations. :doh:

I used to have big arguments with my INTJ ex over this sentiment. I didn't like "accepting limitations" - I accepted failures, but never in absolute terms. "Where there's a will, there's a way" has always resonated with me. (He was frustrated that I wouldn't "accept" that I would never run faster than him).

A few years back I injured my back and had my first experience of my body "saying no". I tried to get out of a chair, in the usual way, and found that certain muscles simply weren't responding! Some might have said "ok this is serious let's go to the doctor" - not me. I kept trying until I wrenched my back even worse, and the whole time I was FURIOUS that my body could (how dare it!) refuse the electrical impulses being sent out by my mind. Totally crazy, I know.

As to dealing with it... I'm not sure I'm much help. The main thing is to prioritize. I find my impulsive nature makes me sometimes focus overly much on the things that aren't on the top of my real priority list - but if I really check often on what I am doing and why, I can be more productive toweards goals.

The other thing I think an INTP should be good at is finding the silver lining. Maybe this is your body saying no for some reason, and you need a break? Maybe now you can let some things go that you secretly wanted to. Take up hobbies that require active listening (learning a language, etc).

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I used to have big arguments with my INTJ ex over this sentiment. I didn't like "accepting limitations" - I accepted failures, but never in absolute terms. "Where there's a will, there's a way" has always resonated with me. (He was frustrated that I wouldn't "accept" that I would never run faster than him).

A few years back I injured my back and had my first experience of my body "saying no". I tried to get out of a chair, in the usual way, and found that certain muscles simply weren't responding! Some might have said "ok this is serious let's go to the doctor" - not me. I kept trying until I wrenched my back even worse, and the whole time I was FURIOUS that my body could (how dare it!) refuse the electrical impulses being sent out by my mind. Totally crazy, I know.

As to dealing with it... I'm not sure I'm much help. The main thing is to prioritize. I find my impulsive nature makes me sometimes focus overly much on the things that aren't on the top of my real priority list - but if I really check often on what I am doing and why, I can be more productive toweards goals.

The other thing I think an INTP should be good at is finding the silver lining. Maybe this is your body saying no for some reason, and you need a break? Maybe now you can let some things go that you secretly wanted to. Take up hobbies that require active listening (learning a language, etc).

I identify with this post on so many levels!!! :doh:

Last time my body did this to me I rerouted my career path and was delighted in what it had become :) At the moment I am trying to teach my very clumsy left hand with the mouse. I have extremely fine motor skills with mouse and right hand for graphics so it is more than a bit frustrating. I don't think that my left hand will reach that sort of facility in a few months when it has taken 26 years to get where it is.

BUT c'est la vie! We deal with what life dishes and make the most of it - that is and has always been my way. :D

Now I am over the anger (not the frustration but I know exactly where you are coming from on this) there is a part of me that thinks maybe there is a next chapter that will be even better??? ..and the unknown has a bit of a lure to it.

I am tho, I hope, sensible enough to know I cannot continue with the levels of computing work I have been without doing permanent limiting damage, if not already done:huh:

Maybe this is a REALLY good excuse to explore the iPad and some apps I want to write ;)

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
The body WILL heal IF you let it. Heal, rehab, and get in a prehab routine and get back to it. In the month or so while healing, read or do something you've been curious about.

It's a temporary setback..

I definitely understand the feeling, I'm about to go work out with stitches in my foot, and sprained wrist and neck.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
--- requested removal of private info ---

I think that INTPs in particular struggle with this because we like to keep our minds well occupied. I am not me unless I am multitasking! :) My greatest fear is boredom!

Last edited by a moderator:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The body WILL heal IF you let it. Heal, rehab, and get in a prehab routine and get back to it. In the month or so while healing, read or do something you've been curious about.

It's a temporary setback..

I definitely understand the feeling, I'm about to go work out with stitches in my foot, and sprained wrist and neck.

I know it will but I am impatient in some things yet very, very patient when solving a problem. Quite the contradiction :doh:

Are you sure YOU should be working out?? :wubbie: