• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] xNTP's and trying to improve everything about themselves?

INTPthinker

MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm an ENTP and i'm very good about trying to improve myself in every way possible, i lift weights to look good and become stronger and healthier, i try to eat healthy, i spend time learning how to play guitar, i try to get smarter every day, just a bunch of different aspects of myself that i always try to improve on.

And the reason i bring it up about types is because it seems like i'm the only one in my family of 5 that actually tries to make myself better in those stuff. Is this an xNTP thing?

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
it is an NT thing in general. One of the central drives of the NT temperament is to gain competency in any interest they may have. This usually becomes an endless quest of self-improvement.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not alien to any of the types, but admittedly, NT's prioritize it much more in every single aspect in their life. Not just in general lines, but every step of the way.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I can sort of relate to this. I'm always thinking, "Yeah I must do x hours of exercise over the week and y hours of music practise, and draw up plans for Z while working on some more of that other thing..."

Rarely happens. I'm so fucking lazy it's actually ridiculous.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maslows-hierarchy.gif

This?

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Six threads in five days...is that a record for an NTP?

I can sort of relate to this. I'm always thinking, "Yeah I must do x hours of exercise over the week and y hours of music practise, and draw up plans for Z while working on some more of that other thing..."

Rarely happens. I'm so fucking lazy it's actually ridiculous.
This.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I'd stick to just a couple things you really enjoy. Otherwise you'll just spread yourself thin. I'd rather be exceptional at one or two things, rather than medoicre at a bunch of things. Exercise and learning guitar are perfect, maybe set some goals, like a marathon? Or maybe start taking actual lessons on guitar (assuming you learned by ear, like most people) or trying to join a band? I found I was much happier when I just focused on one or two main hobbies.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Self-improvement. Yup. Definitely unique to xNTPs.

Why do people struggle so much to know whether they are an introvert or an extrovert? I would have thought it was the easiest thing to determine of all.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Everyone in my family is all about continual self improvement, in my family there are SP, SJ, NT and NFs.

Morgan Le Fay said:
Why do people struggle so much to know whether they are an introvert or an extrovert? I would have thought it was the easiest thing to determine of all.

Oh hush now you! :steam:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I struggle with this because I am XNTP. I am almost equal on the I/E - under different circumstances I naturally draw upon opposing functions. My N/S dichotomy on my original testing is the only one that is very clear ie no sensing.

My quest for knowledge is not specifically or overtly directed towards self-improvement per se so much as the strong need to know more on topics that interest me.

I would rather call it self-directed learning - but only on topics in which I am interested, give relevance to my tasks, or have need to master for one reason or another.

I am a very fickle craftswoman tho - once I master a craft such as embroidery, heirloom crochet etc. I am no longer interested.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Self-improvement. Yup. Definitely unique to xNTPs.

Perhaps because not all introverts shy away from social interaction, while all extroverts aren't party animals? It can be difficult to know whether your energy comes from without or within, particularly if one is depressed.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I have come to except that Ne is just what I do. I think about connections and every possible, logical, way something comes out, but I can only figure out if something is logical after I have the thought and therefore my Ne takes first spot. I can see how it is possible to be extremely confused with your I/E (i.e. me, ha.), but the difference between being an Intp and Entp is only whether you think first, or have an idea first. This is of course the most basic sense of the meaning. If you can discern which you do. You don't simultaneously have a thought and think about that thought at the same time because until you have the idea technically you couldn't have been thinking about it because it didn't 'exist' yet.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I am a one-woman self-improvement project. Always have been.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I admire that. It's a level of concentration that is hard for me to achieve at times.

redsox44344

MBTI Type
ENTP
I strive for self improvement constantly but at many times I will be too lazy to improve myself in the ways that I do not like and instead use the time to procrastinate by improving myself in the ways that I do like to improve.

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
Yep. I also try to master things I am interested in, or at least gain proficiency. I am also just as apt to shelve that interest for something else. And in true INTP fashion, I am also prone to procrastination, thinking about ways to improve instead of doing them or making notes of things to research but getting too distracted to actually getting around to do the research.

I tend to be a harsh self-critic, though. I always seem to be berating myself for doing it wrong, being too stupid, wasting time, having to drop everything I've built up and start over, etc... Well if it's so easy then it isn't worth doing. :workout:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sure there are numerous NTPs into self-improvement.

Based on MBTI type descriptions and stereotypes, this is definitely a J tendency. If you compare each P profile with its corresponding J, you will see that the J description is more about "getting it done". The word "growth" is used in some of the J descriptions. Based on MBTI talk, self-improvement is not a defining feature of NTPs any more than other types, and it is correlated with certain other of the J types.

This doesn't mean that Ps are not into self-improvement, but the stereotypical areas they choose will tend to be less recognized, and they tend to have a larger number of areas of interest while the J focuses on just a few to gain mastery.

This is also an example of how basically any positive statement can be made and declared to relate to a specific type, and the there will be numerous people of that type who can relate. It might be worth an experiment of attempting random, general, positive correlations with any type and see what the responses look like.

gromit

likes this
While I may not be any sort of NT, I can relate too. I care a lot about self-improvement in many areas of my life. :)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
donno about others, but if I look at the sucess, like something that you are very good at, a strong urge to build and create arises. It's great for motivation :D

actually... that's not self improvement is it?