• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Not being able to tell if i'm an INTP or an ENTP

INTPthinker

MBTI Type
ENTP
one test showed entp and another showed intp, and i believe i have characteristics of both E and I, how can i tell what i really am?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
one test showed entp and another showed intp, and i believe i have characteristics of both E and I, how can i tell what i really am?

Does the idea of locking yourself inside your residence for the next 2 weeks appeal to you? Or would you go crazy being stuck inside all the time?

Qre:us

Does the idea of locking yourself inside your residence for the next 2 weeks appeal to you? Or would you go crazy being stuck inside all the time?

Not necessarily. I have huge bouts of self-induced solitary confinement...because I like it.

To OP:

- do you, generally, throw ideas out there, while it is still forming in your head, to flesh it out more, through say, dialogue with others [external input]? Or do you think through you ideas on your own, reaching a conclusion you're satisfied with, then release it to the world? INTPs also like to bounce ideas off others too, but, comparatively speaking, and ENTP woud do it, even before they've truly got a handle on the idea themselves, while an INTP would likely want some kind of a "hold" on the idea, before throwing it out there.

- does the "answer" come to you before you can even truly understand how and why the answer is what it is? And then you work on figuring out exactly what led to the answer? Or are you more likely to have the idea reveal itself through a thorough analysis? [leading with Ne versus leading with Ti]

* Ne-Ti [conclusion is first to be reached....then you work backwards] - it's more instinctual/gut.

~ I often can "see" patterns in things and people very quickly and "know" things, but ask me to explain how I reached it, I will be stumped unless I really sit down and think about how the "answer just popped up" in me. I'm like an audience to myself then, along with others, with all of us [myself included] seeing how I reached the conclusion that I initially did. Seeing the thought-process unfold, after the fact.

* Ti-Ne [first you work forwards...then you reach conclusion] - it's more rational

- is your thinking process more linear [sequential], with each node along the path painstakingly evaluated, and analyzed for its logical relevance before moving on to the next? And do you not mind such "laborious" process of thinking?
Or is it more web-like? And, if it is web-like, with many simultaneous nodes of relevance flashing inside you all at once, asking to be tackled, brought into a coherent WHOLE, does that irritate you, or stimulate you?

- when you process information, again, is it done rather quickly or with more time, to really think on the information [more depth]? Does it irritate you or excite you when more information are coming from every which angle while you are trying to process the current one? Jumping around a lot, or staying the course? ENTPs are idea jugglers, the more idea balls that's up in the air for us, the more excited we get. We thrive on such chaos, because it's a challenge to see if we can still keep juggling, if more balls are randomly, and unexpectedly thrown into the mix. The word unexpected makes me smirk.

- this may depend on the type of xNTP and your ease of use of Fe - but generally, an ENTP would be better at social networking/people-moving, working through social interactions, working people, than an INTP.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Not necessarily. I have huge bouts of self-induced solitary confinement...because I like it.

To OP:

- do you, generally, throw ideas out there, while it is still forming in your head, to flesh it out more, through say, dialogue with others [external input]? Or do you think through you ideas on your own, reaching a conclusion you're satisfied with, then release it to the world? INTPs also like to bounce ideas off others too, but, comparatively speaking, and ENTP woud do it, even before they've truly got a handle on the idea themselves, while an INTP would likely want some kind of a "hold" on the idea, before throwing it out there.

- does the "answer" come to you before you can even truly understand how and why the answer is what it is? And then you work on figuring out exactly what led to the answer? Or are you more likely to have the idea reveal itself through a thorough analysis? [leading with Ne versus leading with Ti]

* Ne-Ti [conclusion is first to be reached....then you work backwards] - it's more instinctual/gut.

~ I often can "see" patterns in things and people very quickly and "know" things, but ask me to explain how I reached it, I will be stumped unless I really sit down and think about how the "answer just popped up" in me. I'm like an audience to myself then, along with others, with all of us [myself included] seeing how I reached the conclusion that I initially did. Seeing the thought-process unfold, after the fact.

* Ti-Ne [first you work forwards...then you reach conclusion] - it's more rational

- is your thinking process more linear [sequential], with each node along the path painstakingly evaluated, and analyzed for its logical relevance before moving on to the next? And do you not mind such "laborious" process of thinking?
Or is it more web-like? And, if it is web-like, with many simultaneous nodes of relevance flashing inside you all at once, asking to be tackled, brought into a coherent WHOLE, does that irritate you, or stimulate you?

- when you process information, again, is it done rather quickly or with more time, to really think on the information [more depth]? Does it irritate you or excite you when more information are coming from every which angle while you are trying to process the current one? Jumping around a lot, or staying the course? ENTPs are idea jugglers, the more idea balls that's up in the air for us, the more excited we get. We thrive on such chaos, because it's a challenge to see if we can still keep juggling, if more balls are randomly, and unexpectedly thrown into the mix. The word unexpected makes me smirk.

- this may depend on the type of xNTP and your ease of use of Fe - but generally, an ENTP would be better at social networking/people-moving, working through social interactions, working people, than an INTP.

Excellent post. Thanks for smoothing up my own personal E/I doubts. I'm still an INTP, all right.

INTPthinker

MBTI Type
ENTP

i picked out the stuff from your reply that sounds like me (above ^). I'm good at reading people and seeing patterns and get lots of hunches i guess. And i believe it's more web like while i try to get little pieces and piece everything together so i can reach a conclusion about my "hunch"

what does that mean?

INTPthinker

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah i figuredd ahahaha :p

i guess i just always thought as being an I because i'm not as talkative as the rest of my family so i just feel introverted ahaha

but i just read discriptions on entps and the way they think is a lottt like me. I just dont talk as much ahahaha :p

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

In response to this, although I certainly can shut myself up inside my house for 2 weeks and never leave, it never appeals to me. I still need some sort of social interaction. I have the capability of extreme introversion, I'd just rather not use it.

INTPthinker

MBTI Type
ENTP
and my response to that same question is i would definitely go crazy! ahaha

it's hard for me to go even 2 days without at least getting out of the house and maybe going for a run or to visit family or something.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

In response to this, although I certainly can shut myself up inside my house for 2 weeks and never leave, it never appeals to me. I still need some sort of social interaction. I have the capability of extreme introversion, I'd just rather not use it.

Agreed times a million.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:yes:

To OP:

Looks like someone has spent the last ten years obsessing over researching MBTI

yeah i figuredd ahahaha :p

i guess i just always thought as being an I because i'm not as talkative as the rest of my family so i just feel introverted ahaha

but i just read discriptions on entps and the way they think is a lottt like me. I just dont talk as much ahahaha :p

same here, but my family consists of ESTP x 2, ESFP and ESFJ lol

Qre:us

I'm not really ENTP, so take my words with a grain of salt. :coffee:

(I could just be fucking with you)

PS - if you decided on ENTP, your username is FAB!

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Pretty good post by Qre:us. I'll add to all of this by saying that the reason I enjoy being locked in the apartment, is because it allows me to do all of the things Qre:us mentioned - in a stress-free, distraction-free, calm, quiet, environment. When I'm "out on the streets", my Ne is taking in so many things that it can be much harder for me to focus and to really have a concentrated, effective Ti process. Too many people talking, too much chaos, too much going on.

I do like to get out and do things, don't get me wrong. It's necessary for me, because my best ideas come via Ne. I go out and I'm always kind of "taking everything in and gathering information" - "oh, look at that building over there! That gives me a great idea!" "Wait, what did you just say? That made me think of a cool idea!"

But, at this point, those ideas are just "there" in my brain. They are sort of in a holding tank until I can get home, close the door, shut myself in, and (bwahahahahahahahahahaha) go into my Ti laboratory. For me, that is when the ideas blossom and turn into something. I research it, I learn about it, I develop it on paper, etc, etc. When I'm "out in public", I can ask questions and observe and take in information, but it's simply a collection process for me. I can't really "do anything with it" until I get home where Ti is boss. Strange, but true.

From there, Ti is the "builder". It takes one slow step at a time. Complete step 1 with 100% accuracy. Then complete step 2 with complete accuracy. Next, move to step 3. It's very methodical. But, all the while, Ne is suggesting ways that the idea could be improved or tweaked to make it better or more creative, etc. And Ti is like, "Shut up, you're giving me too much info. You're super creative, but you're pulling me away from actually building the thing with all of your "possibilities". But, when Ti gets stuck, "Uh oh, how do I get around this problem?", then Ti says, "Hey, Ne, got any suggestions?" And that's where Ne works like a gem. "Sure, Ti, you could do either a, b, or c and it will work just fine."

And then they start high-fiving and saying, "You're freaking brilliant man!" "No, you are! That was all you!" "Nope it was you. I'm buying you a drink." "Nope, I'm buying. It's on me."

promethathustra

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5w4
Trust me all...X-men do exist! There is a bridge between e/i--stand directly in the middle of same. Run to which end is needed in current situation! Run with a glance only.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
WTF!?

How can an ENTP think he's INTP ? I mean...yes you get the introverted moments...but ENTP are big time extraverts. And when I get excited about some crazy shit I get even more extraverted. I never asked myself if I'm INTP...theres a BIG difference between ENTP and INTP. Regarding the extraversion.

How does one confuse the 2?
How old are you?

You can't be ENTP.
YouTube - entp

Look at this video, if you think like her..you're ENTP I guess.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
WTF!?

How can an ENTP think he's INTP ? I mean...yes you get the introverted moments...but ENTP are big time extraverts. And when I get excited about some crazy shit I get even more extraverted. I never asked myself if I'm INTP...theres a BIG difference between ENTP and INTP. Regarding the extraversion.

How does one confuse the 2?
How old are you?

You can't be ENTP.
YouTube - entp

Look at this video, if you think like her..you're ENTP I guess.

Extroversion and introversion are on a continuum. You can be "slightly extroverted" (where you might be confused about whether you are truly extroverted) or "extremely extroverted". It's not like if you're "very slightly extroverted" that you'll say, "Oh yeah, I'm a total extrovert. I can't even relate to those introverts!"

If you're a full-fledged extrovert, like it sounds like you probably are, then yeah, you would have no doubt that you're an extrovert. It's not black and white. It's more of a "sliding scale".

INTPthinker

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you're a full-fledged extrovert, like it sounds like you probably are, then yeah, you would have no doubt that you're an extrovert. It's not black and white. It's more of a "sliding scale".

This ^ 100% agree

lets say this is a scale:

< - I - - - -|- - - - E - >

you could be at the far right of Extravert while i'm just over the halfway point. Regardless, being "outgoing" isn't the biggest factor anyways, the biggest factor is the way you take in things and how you think.

oh and i'm 16 years old