• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Mephistopheles?

Would you take Mephistopheles up on that deal?

• Yes

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My brethren,

Would you sell your souls for knowledge of the universe?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, but I'd sell yours.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, but I'd sell yours.

What if you were not sure if you wanted to believe there is life after death, yet somebody told you that there is, but you can still sell your soul for knowledge? My vote was no in honor of my Christian faith, otherwise I just might take the gamble.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I wouldn't do this deal, the soul is too important. I would likely try to find something less important to my but valuable to the evil entity making the deal, that I could trade for knowledge.

Madrigal

MBTI Type
INTP
Assuming I had one, which I don't, I woudn't sell it for knowledge. I have sources of knowledge at my fingertips and I waste most of the chances I have to use them. Instead I just waste my time and my brains.

So no, I wouldn't sell it for knowledge.

Power, on the other hand... :yes:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That'd be crap. I'd have nothing left to do.

If everything is fact then I'm checking out. Stuff your knowledge I'm keeping my soul.

Oh and just in case I also learned the greatest song in the world ;)

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes.

I know how it ends... I know how it ends... ;)

Rhu

Morlock
MBTI Type
Pfft
No. Regardless of whether or not souls exist, I wouldn't go for total knowledge for two reasons:

Part of what I like about life is the joy of discovery and the bliss of ignorance. I actually enjoy delving into absurdity. A predictable, complete world would be less fun.

Secondly, I am often disturbed by the little extra insights into the nature of things that I sometimes have. Even if I was aware of all things, there's no way I could stop time and right all wrongs, even for those unlucky few that I actually care about.

Absolute knowledge would likely bring an all-powerful existential depression in the face of my own impotence. Or, if possible, it would awaken a desire to use my knowledge to increase the universal chaos factor.

On the other hand, if I were to pick between me getting all the knowledge of the universe versus anyone else, I'd pick me. I can't think of a single person who I'd actually trust with such an ability.

fissionesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Why? Are there any takers?

I wouldn't sell my soul (assuming we have souls) for all knowledge in general. I would, however, sell my soul for all of the knowledge that we (as humans) already have. I would be able to use that knowledge to learn more and make new discoveries. Then I wouldn't be bored because I would be finding out more and more.

Jaguar

Why sell your soul for something you already have?
Anyone can tap into it.
The illusion, is that you can't.

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
No, but maybe it is my fear of not knowing what would be left in life to pursue if I knew everything.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would give up an eye and hang on a tree dead for 9 days...

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes.

I would assume that in gaining all knowledge, I learned how to steal my soul back. If not, I would be pissed, but at least I would know the best methods of attaining my revenge.