• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Mephistopheles?

Would you take Mephistopheles up on that deal?

• Yes

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would neither sell my soul, nor anyone else's (you'd be damned for that). People without a soul smell funny.:(

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So basically, the idea of selling one's soul is to give up freedom for knowledge? I wouldn't. Whatever is true about the universe stays that way whether I understand it or not. If I give up my freedom it is gone. If I give up awareness of truth, the awareness may be gone, but the truth remains. Knowledge is a luxury, freedom a necessity imo.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So basically, the idea of selling one's soul is to give up freedom for knowledge? I wouldn't. Whatever is true about the universe stays that way whether I understand it or not. If I give up my freedom it is gone. If I give up awareness of truth, the awareness may be gone, but the truth remains. Knowledge is a luxury, freedom a necessity imo.

What if you thought that with this knowledge you could find a way to get your freedom back? After all, Mephistopheles is not omniscient, but you are, so you would probably outwit him.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
What if you thought that with this knowledge you could find a way to get your freedom back? After all, Mephistopheles is not omniscient, but you are, so you would probably outwit him.

So in other words you're asking if we'd like to be God?

Mephistopheles not omniscient
God - omniscient - Having all world's knowledge
Mephistopheles not truly able to offer all knowledge...

Wait...is this a trick question? :)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So in other words you're asking if we'd like to be God?

Mephistopheles not omniscient
God - omniscient - Having all world's knowledge
Mephistopheles not truly able to offer all knowledge...

Wait...is this a trick question? :)

You dont know if God exists, you dont know if you really believe in this Mephistopheles either... You just meet some phantom who tells you that you have a soul that you can sell to him in exchange for omniscience... take it or leave it..

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
You dont know if God exists, you dont know if you really believe in this Mephistopheles either... You just meet some phantom who tells you that you have a soul that you can sell to him in exchange for omniscience... take it or leave it..

Ok then. No I leave it.

Crabapple

MBTI Type
INFJ
:offtopic: What would one do with all that knowledge anyway? I'd like to dispense justice, and ensure peace and harmony. :yes: If I had ultimate knowledge, I'd know how to to it....Tempting. :shock:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Mephistopheles? thread:

If we go back to the Garden of Eden story, God commanded Adam and Eve not to partake of the Fruit of Knowledge. They ate of the fruit despite the warning, and then their eyes were opened. The cost however is that they would ultimately perish, and that to postpone this, they would have to work to survive and suffer against pitiless elements. The implications of this are very difficult to see clearly, but I will speculate that there could be some higher power that wants life, at least at this level of existence, to be obedient and toiling slaves to the natural order, or perhaps it could also be challenging life to become stronger on a journey through the eons, even if the means of its accomplishment leads to suffering. In each of these instances, knowledge would aid us in our progressive development to overcome these systems, since it could give us the power we need to rise above our lowly stations, but this resistance could also bounce back upon us with greater adversity. I know not how long we shall have to endure this pain, whether it will last for 1 lifetime on earth, or if we will continue to face it for many lives to come, but the question of how to transcend this could be discovered in the finality and annihilation of all things physical. This world may be corrupted beyond repair, so to heal it, ruin may have to be unleashed upon it, for by destroying the old world, new worlds could be spawned by the will of life, worlds with ideal designs. In this way the problem of evil potentially could be ended. I make no unalterable claim that this is the direction life needs to take in the eons to come, or that such a momentous feat is even achievable, though it remains clear that we are in desperate need of a global transformation that life creates.

:wizfreak:

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sell my soul for knowledge of the universe? Hmm...it's a very vague question. I think if I was to gain knowledge, I would be learning more about my soul than actually selling it. The OT story of Adam and Eve losing their place in Eden and being susceptible to (Earthly) death because of gaining knowledge might seem like such a problem at first, but in fact, their soul was sold to ignorant, material existence before gaining knowledge.

But, if you want to know if I would give up eternal life to gain knowledge of material existence, my answer would be No: once gaining knowledge of the whole of the Universe, I would realize that I should have known better.