• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do NTs believe in souls?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think "soul" is some unconscious part(or way of working) of your brains

ocean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
67sx
Subjective consciousness to me is one of the most intriguing unanswered questions there is. But not having an answer to a question doesn't give license to invent a supernatural concept to explain it. Nobody knows the answer, so speculation is fine but that speculation should not be passed off as the "truth" (i.e. religion).

Right. The only correct answer is "we don't know". As for religion... truth is not what that's about :)

But "we don't know" is just as far from the scientific world view as it is from the religious. To think that in this very physical world, where we're made of quarks or strings or whatever other mechanical particles, where possibly all timelines are realized in the multiverse, there could be an actual chance of our puny "egos" (battered and stomped on by every scientific discovery ever made and broken apart by cognitive science into bits and pieces of agents and unconscious machinery), actually being primal, transcending the "real" world out there, and perhaps even of death eventually actually leading to "something else" is really a trip.

It's also very frightening. If you think that the I of the jews in the camps, that the I of the women at yodok camp being opened up alive or stoned to death, of witches burned alive in the dark ages, could be the very I that is both writing and reading this... it's very frightening. Better not think about it.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
i think "soul" is some unconscious part(or way of working) of your brains

Si. It's all just neurons firing. There's no ghost in the machine.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Nope. I once heard a bunch of psychologists having a debate about duality. When I thought about it for myself, I realised it wasn't a concept I believed in. That of course led me to question my religion (my mother is very religious and for some reason I never questioned it until this point), which I then discarded considering religion really centers around the whole idea of having a soul that lives eternally.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself an athiest though. A lot of athiests I know are even worse than extremist religious fanatics (in that they both push their beliefs on everyone else). Personally, I don't care what other people believe - whatever helps them through life is fine by me. My younger brother for example draws a lot of strength from his faith, which I think is fantastic for him. He deals with a lot of stress so it's something I think he really needs.

Sorry, got a bit side tracked there :redface: No I don't believe in souls.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My opinion of the Soul is less about the entity itself, and more about the 'energy' of a person. Science says that no energy can be either created, nor destroyed. That energy 'lives on' somewhere. Now, whether that energy retains properties of what it was previously a part of, I don't know, but I would think that it could be possible.

I'm more inclined to believe in a form of 'reincarnation' but not in the Buddhist sense. Its more of a 'This energy existed as one thing, and it will exist again as something else, repeatedly, forever'. I don't picture it as a 'ghostly spirit' of a former person just waiting for its time to be returned to human form, nor do I think it has a purpose other than 'to exist'.

I don't think that 'souls' exist the way that many religions believe, where it will be punished or rewarded according to ones actions. However... I do think that there must be something in us that gives that 'collective consciousness' type of feeling. Perhaps it really is only DNA and Nurture/life experiences at work to create a persons tendencies, personality and 'character'... but even babies have different temperaments right from birth. Something in me tends to lean toward the idea that there is more to who we are than just our experiences, but of course there is no proof.

I chalk it up to the 'energy' that recycles time and time again. In this sense, I believe I have lived many past lives, and will live many future lives in the way that I will disintegrate one day, become the soil or water that sustains the creatures that I am then a part of, that feeds the humans that I become a part of who eventually disintegrate... etc, etc.

VYCanisMajoris

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
897?
My opinion of the Soul is less about the entity itself, and more about the 'energy' of a person. Science says that no energy can be either created, nor destroyed. That energy 'lives on' somewhere. Now, whether that energy retains properties of what it was previously a part of, I don't know, but I would think that it could be possible.

I'm more inclined to believe in a form of 'reincarnation' but not in the Buddhist sense. Its more of a 'This energy existed as one thing, and it will exist again as something else, repeatedly, forever'. I don't picture it as a 'ghostly spirit' of a former person just waiting for its time to be returned to human form, nor do I think it has a purpose other than 'to exist'.

I don't think that 'souls' exist the way that many religions believe, where it will be punished or rewarded according to ones actions. However... I do think that there must be something in us that gives that 'collective consciousness' type of feeling. Perhaps it really is only DNA and Nurture/life experiences at work to create a persons tendencies, personality and 'character'... but even babies have different temperaments right from birth. Something in me tends to lean toward the idea that there is more to who we are than just our experiences, but of course there is no proof.

I chalk it up to the 'energy' that recycles time and time again. In this sense, I believe I have lived many past lives, and will live many future lives in the way that I will disintegrate one day, become the soil or water that sustains the creatures that I am then a part of, that feeds the humans that I become a part of who eventually disintegrate... etc, etc.

Ahh, the ol' energy never dies excuse....To me it's something some spiritualist read while skimming a physics book and heralded it as his own personal way to still believe in some sort of safe haven after death.

I think we all can agree that our death and bodies will feed other life. I personally do not want to be buried in a casket for this reason. I think that is very different than actually "living on", however. Do you think you will remember anything from this life?

I personally believe that our lives here on Earth, the lives of Earthlings in general, would be greatly enriched based on an awakened state of realization if we just let our primitive beliefs go entirely and realized that we are just another animal on this planet. We would treat other animals better. We would be more open-minded to growth and science. We would take accountability for our actions on the planet and perhaps see true value in finding sustainable energy sources and we would embrace reasons to be GOOD without any threat of some sort of eternal damnation.

BÃ¥rris

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't honestly BELIEVE in such a thing as a soul, but I sure hope my "soul" lives on after my body dies. I hope that I will just become some disembodied "senses", so that I can experience the universe without any limitations. Kinda like dr. manhattan, except I won't really be there.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am talking about the SOUL as in something that can exist without your body.

No, not by this definition. I haven't decided about concepts like the existence of a possible global consciousness though.
I find it more possible than the standalone soul of the individual.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
FSM!!! Where art thou?

Fil, I think that analogy is off a bit because your belief in your dreams directly affects the outcome. So it is healthy to make yourself believe positively. Whether Stevo believes in a soul or not doesn't affect the outcome and therefore there is no reason to think positively about it. Just realistically.

That said... do you believe in a FSM?

My analogy was a off, yes. I tend not to believe in certain things if I'm not certain– I may believe there is a strong case for it, but not in the thing itself. That said, yes, I do believe in an FSM.

Because I have better things to do with my time than worry about whether I have a soul or not. Saying there's no evidence "for or against" means there is no evidence, period. In my mind, that means that a belief in the proposition is not justified and therefore "No" is the appropriate answer until evidence does arrive. If I happen to be wrong, I will graciously accept that fact and change my beliefs accordingly. If I'm right, then I was justified in withholding my belief.

Good answer.

This is not comparable to the discussion of whether or not souls exist. My non-belief in the existence of a soul does not create a self-fulfilling prophecy, unless you accept some silly form of physical relativism in which for those who believe in souls, souls exist, and for those who don't, there are no souls.

That aside, believing in my own goals and aspirations actually has an effect on my actions and my future state of being, as you have demonstrated. I find that the proposition of a soul is ultimately entirely meaningless to me. It makes absolutely no difference to me whether my soul exists or not. Learning that there are in fact souls that persist in us after death would do nothing to change how I think or behave.

Again, good answer.

capricorn009

Yes, I believe in God and souls. Instinct, yes, but the real thing that causes us to believe
that some decisions are not right is the soul.

ENTJ

VYCanisMajoris

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
897?
Yes, I believe in God and souls. Instinct, yes, but the real thing that causes us to believe
that some decisions are not right is the soul.

ENTJ

how could your nickname be capricorn and not believe in souls?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not sure...I always act like I believe in one though, since people might find me strange if I didn't, and think of me as 'soulless', which I could be, but to be considered such by people who revere 'souls', it doesn't sound good.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
So... do you believe in the soul? the idea that when you die.. your energy, spirit, soul, what have you continues to live and that your sense of being still thrives without your brain... just in another form?
It'd be pretty cool to haunt people, but even cooler to just be dead. So I don't really believe in the concept of souls, but it's still a possibility.

VYCanisMajoris

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
897?
Not sure...I always act like I believe in one though, since people might find me strange if I didn't, and think of me as 'soulless', which I could be, but to be considered such by people who revere 'souls', it doesn't sound good.

Bingo... the same reason why ten years ago most people you met said they believed in god... the stigma behind it. Now People who believe in god (at least in my circles) are thought of as kinda strange. The same thing will happen with the soul within the next 10 years is my hope. However, whenever I tell people I dont believe in souls right now. They flat out disagree with me. People like to lie to themselves.

Cindy

MBTI Type
INTJ
I really like your views VYCanisMajoris.

I should start by saying I haven't read anyone elses responses so I apologise if I recap. Hopefully I have a chance to read them at a later date cos I am very interested in what others had to say.

SOUL: I don't believe in identity now or after death and I think we tend to view soul as some kind of identity. To some degree as a human I choose how I am currently being but I wont be 'me' after death and so I'm not worried about what will happen then.

This means I don't believe my grandparents are looking over me (which is a little sad not to believe). I don't think what I do in this life is going to come back and bite me or excel me once I'm dead. It might get me while I'm still here though and I want as much happiness as possible while I'm here. I don't think my worth to the planet has anything to do with what I do or my state of being. I have no right to judge wether a garbage man is less than a doctor. These are all human things - thoughts, memories, and feelings (including fear).

The material of me will always be here in some form or another though. So I may one day be a bit or a rock and bit of a bird and a bit of a television set and a bit of something in outerspace we haven't discovered yet.

What about my energy? It seems logical to me that energy would disperse in some way. Energy also exists in all objects.

Zero identity past being a part of the universe. Identity is lonely anyway so I am OK with this.

This is just what I believe at the moment and what makes sense to me. If someone else believes in something else more rosy then I'm happy for them.

RELIGION: You have led me to wonder if maybe religion seized on peoples dear of death as the ultimate way to control people when there was no government.

I personally believe religion was once vital to making a society work and some of what various religions state as true was only true of the times - they got some things wrong - consistently the subtle but sometimes extreme themes that being a female is inferior. I know most about christianity and their teachings are like a book of ethics to me but not something I fear going against and I don't believe in final judgement. I also went to Sunday school and I have no doubt my ethics are influenced by what I learnt there. It can be a useful guide. Afterall what would society be like if religion had never existed?

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Not in the terms you ascribe. I believe that my mind, my will, and my emotions are my soul. My spirit will be separated from my soul at death; my spirit is what will live for eternity.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I simply go on the fact that we can't find a physical representation of the soul so the 'soul' itself is an ideal, until physically shown. I tried explaining, or stating this, but others found me rather strange.

VYCanisMajoris

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
897?
I really like your views VYCanisMajoris.

I should start by saying I haven't read anyone elses responses so I apologise if I recap. Hopefully I have a chance to read them at a later date cos I am very interested in what others had to say.

SOUL: I don't believe in identity now or after death and I think we tend to view soul as some kind of identity. To some degree as a human I choose how I am currently being but I wont be 'me' after death and so I'm not worried about what will happen then.

This means I don't believe my grandparents are looking over me (which is a little sad not to believe). I don't think what I do in this life is going to come back and bite me or excel me once I'm dead. It might get me while I'm still here though and I want as much happiness as possible while I'm here. I don't think my worth to the planet has anything to do with what I do or my state of being. I have no right to judge wether a garbage man is less than a doctor. These are all human things - thoughts, memories, and feelings (including fear).

The material of me will always be here in some form or another though. So I may one day be a bit or a rock and bit of a bird and a bit of a television set and a bit of something in outerspace we haven't discovered yet.

What about my energy? It seems logical to me that energy would disperse in some way. Energy also exists in all objects.

Zero identity past being a part of the universe. Identity is lonely anyway so I am OK with this.

This is just what I believe at the moment and what makes sense to me. If someone else believes in something else more rosy then I'm happy for them.

RELIGION: You have led me to wonder if maybe religion seized on peoples dear of death as the ultimate way to control people when there was no government.

I personally believe religion was once vital to making a society work and some of what various religions state as true was only true of the times - they got some things wrong - consistently the subtle but sometimes extreme themes that being a female is inferior. I know most about christianity and their teachings are like a book of ethics to me but not something I fear going against and I don't believe in final judgment. I also went to Sunday school and I have no doubt my ethics are influenced by what I learnt there. It can be a useful guide. After all what would society be like if religion had never existed?

Yeah... could we have made it where we are as a society without religion? I think we could have... and perhaps even faster. However, i'm a firm believer in not having regrets. Religion did play a role in our evolution and could have been the driving force to civilize us... We needed an outlet for our imagination and fears.

I have every reason to hope that I may one day see my mother again in an afterlife. But it's not enough to make me believe something that seems so obviously fictional. Truthfully there have been times where my uncertainty in the afterlife has helped me by cheering me up but its funny I do find that i'm still connected to my mother. I do see her helping me everyday. It is like she is still with me in what she gave me in life. It's a beautiful thing. No less beautiful than a supernatural story of our great reunion in the sky.