• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] I am becoming an ENTJ?

cless986

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok, I was a intp in my childhood, until I got interested in doing more exciting things and influenced by people around me, then I became an 100% entp in my adolecence, it was fun, full of possibilities and fun :cheese:

Then it happened, my father wanted me to start learning about our family business, because he wants to leave it to me to run it later.
Seriously? an entp? managing a big business? with lot of employees and lots of responsability??? no way.
But then I started to learn, yeah, I am an adult now, is better than find a job... at least I was the boss son :).
It was 2 years ago... in the beggining it was very boring, always scolded because of my disorganized ways of doing things, forgetting things, procrastinate, bla bla bla, but guess what? I learned a lot from my mistakes, then I started to be more organized and hardworking for the praise of my parents, I... really want to make them proud of me.
Because of that I started to read a lot of books about how to manage people and influence others, and then.... I fell in LOVE with the POWER :devil: now, I like to take decisions, manage people, improve and be efficient, more hardworking, etc lot of entj traits...

what do you think? Did I became an mature entp or became another entj?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
ne-ti
te-ni

very different, no?

"Extraverted Thinking
"Unequivocating" expresses the resoluteness of the ENTJ's dominant function. Clarity of convictions endows these Thinkers with a knack for debate, or wanting knack, a penchant for argument. The light and heat generated by Thinking at the helm can be impressive; perhaps even overwhelming. Experience teaches many ENTJs that restraint may often be the better part of valor, lest one find oneself victorious but alone.

Introverted iNtuition
The auxiliary function explores the blueprints of archetypal patterns and equips Thinking with a fresh, dynamic sense of how things work. Improvising on the fly is something many ENTJs do very well. As Thinking's subordinate, insights are of value only insofar as they further the Right, True Cause celebre. [n.b.: ENTJs are capable of living on a higher plane, if you will, and learning to value individuals even above their principles. The above dynamic suggests less individuation.] "

"Extraverted iNtuition

ENTPs are nothing if not unique. Brave new associations flow freely from the unconscious into the world of the living. Making, discovering and developing connections between and among two or more of anything is virtually automatic. The product of intuition is merely an icon of process; ENTPs are in the business of change, improvement, experimentation.

The attraction Extraverted iNtuition has toward the real and physical amounts to a cosmic non sequitur: theory is drawn to practice. Such encounters are clearly puzzling. Both parties--the intuitor and the realist--are aware of a xenic quality in their meeting, with reactions ranging from recoil to reverie.
Introverted Thinking

Thinking is iNtuition's ready assistant, an embodiment of the sort of logic found in laws, boards and circuits. Thinking's job is to lend focus and direction to iNtuition's critical mass. The temporary habitations of changeling iNtuition are constructed of Boolean materials from Thinking's storehouse. Ultimately, Thinking is no match for iNtuition's prodigiousness. Systems lie in various states of disarray, fragmentary traces of Thinking's feverish attempts to shadow and undergird the leaps of the dominant function. One can only suppose that Thinking must continue to work during REM sleep pulling together iNtuition's brainchildren into integral wholes."

proximo

Systems lie in various states of disarray, fragmentary traces of Thinking's feverish attempts to shadow and undergird the leaps of the dominant function.

Yeah... that sums up my internal landscape pretty well! Which is why however the tests place me - sometimes I'm ENTJ 3 out of 5 times, sometimes 2 out of 5 - I know I'm ENTP really. Even though I also can get my teeth into efficiently running a project, even leadership, and enjoy it as much as any ENTJ.

Question: do you find that the organisation/routine/task side of things is important to you because if it's not maintained, then your ability to make leaps and progress etc is hampered? Cos that's something I discovered was different between my ENTJ ex-business partner and myself. He wanted all that stuff for the sake of efficiency, that was its own reward. For me it was a sort of backdrop or milieu that I came to value because of how much easier it made it to move forward to new territory, to experiment and all that.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alternative theory: You could have morphed into an ESTJ or ENFP. Do you think you use Ni (foresight, vision) or Ne (connections, patterns, hypothesis and possibilities) more?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to think that adulthood and society tends to bring out our J functions, making us all seem a little more J than we originally were.

capricorn009

I know...I was possibly an ESFP at a younger age...now I'm like the hell with what people
think if I don't do everything I'm pressured to do, if they don't break me let them go take
their happy asses off somewhere to repeat how funny it was that it became a joke among
themselves.

ENTJ

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I tend to think that adulthood and society tends to bring out our J functions, making us all seem a little more J than we originally were.

So true.
I felt like I was becoming a J because I scared myself as to how organized and focused I became when working or getting this second job...and then I forgot :D

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
CLess, your personality type progression is strikingly similar to mine. I was an INTJ/INTP though.

You asked if you were an ENTJ or an ENTP. For what it's worth, you could be either. In my experience, the personality indicator isn't foolproof enough to distinguish from persons of "true type" and those who have underwent a motivated personality transition.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

being in love with power and learning to manipulate people doesn't sound "mature" to me.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm of the belief that someone can never change his or her personality type.
You were probably an ENTP during childhood and just didn't know it.
ENTP's can be power-hungry and effective managers too.
From what you've said, I think you're an ENTP and not an ENTJ.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm of the belief that someone can never change his or her personality type.
You were probably an ENTP during childhood and just didn't know it.
ENTP's can be power-hungry and effective managers too.
From what you've said, I think you're an ENTP and not an ENTJ.

Yes, those who think you can "change" personality types do not really understand what these types are attempting to describe. Barring some hugely significant, perhaps catastrophic, life-changing event, we don't just change our style of cognition. (Though I/E may be more subject to change, but that's another issue for another time.)

Then it happened, my father wanted me to start learning about our family business, because he wants to leave it to me to run it later.
Seriously? an entp? managing a big business? with lot of employees and lots of responsability??? no way.
But then I started to learn, yeah, I am an adult now, is better than find a job... at least I was the boss son :).
It was 2 years ago... in the beggining it was very boring, always scolded because of my disorganized ways of doing things, forgetting things, procrastinate, bla bla bla, but guess what? I learned a lot from my mistakes, then I started to be more organized and hardworking for the praise of my parents, I... really want to make them proud of me.
Because of that I started to read a lot of books about how to manage people and influence others, and then.... I fell in LOVE with the POWER :devil: now, I like to take decisions, manage people, improve and be efficient, more hardworking, etc lot of entj traits...

Two people of different types can reach the same behavioral and philosophical conclusions. Just because you love power and have developed a knack for efficiency, organization, and working diligently does not mean that you went from P to J. I'm of the belief that P/J is the least likely letter to change, even if there were some strange event that lead to a change in cognition style. A change from P to J means that all of your functions change, and even your letter order changes.

ENTP = Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ = Te Ni Se Fi

There is absolutely nothing similar about this function/order between ENTJ and ENTP. The key to understanding your type is not what you do, but why you do what you do. This gets preached a lot around this forum, but considering that you are a new member, I'll cut you some slack for your apparent lack of understanding on the issue. ;)

So the key question here is not "Are you organized, efficient, and a diligent leader?" but rather "Why do you value organization and efficiency and the ability to be a diligent leader?"

I don't really know much about you, but you certainly sound more ENTP than ENTJ, in the brief encounter I've come across in the OP. A particular skill of ENTPs is their ability to adapt to a wide range of environments/ideas which comes with dominant Ne. Another particular skill is the ability to understand the intricacies of a system, which comes with secondary Ti.

You appear to have spent a prolonged period of time observing and analyzing the kind of personal style that is necessary to be a leader. You have studied it and made mental sense of it, and you seem to have developed a master knowledge of what leadership takes. Thus, you have picked up on the types of variables that go into being a leader, organized, structured, and efficient, and you have adapted your behavior/values in a way that has helped you master this particular style.

ENTJs are much more likely to just naturally thrive off of structuring their outer world in order to accomplish some goal. Dominant Te cannot be shut off; it is not a matter of them saying "I want to be organized now." They typically just default to taking the steps required to make their environment more organized and efficient, without really consciously putting forth effort.

You have merely accepted fault. Originally Ne/Ti said that organization is a waste of time and not fun at all, but after dabbling a bit, you have learned enough from your external world that organization and leadership are passions of yours and can get you somewhere useful, so you've put effort into studying these things.

When you say you think you're ENTJ because you've become more organized, more of a hard-worker, and a better leader, you are doing the same thing that a lot of people around here do, and that's forming [faulty] behavioral stereotypes with the different personality types. To make a long story short, everyone who thrives on power, leadership, and efficiency is not an ENTJ.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Yes

Typology was based on the premise of unchangeable type Goddamnit.

cless986

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, those who think you can "change" personality types do not really understand what these types are attempting to describe. Barring some hugely significant, perhaps catastrophic, life-changing event, we don't just change our style of cognition. (Though I/E may be more subject to change, but that's another issue for another time.)

Two people of different types can reach the same behavioral and philosophical conclusions. Just because you love power and have developed a knack for efficiency, organization, and working diligently does not mean that you went from P to J. I'm of the belief that P/J is the least likely letter to change, even if there were some strange event that lead to a change in cognition style. A change from P to J means that all of your functions change, and even your letter order changes.

ENTP = Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ = Te Ni Se Fi

There is absolutely nothing similar about this function/order between ENTJ and ENTP. The key to understanding your type is not what you do, but why you do what you do. This gets preached a lot around this forum, but considering that you are a new member, I'll cut you some slack for your apparent lack of understanding on the issue. ;)

So the key question here is not "Are you organized, efficient, and a diligent leader?" but rather "Why do you value organization and efficiency and the ability to be a diligent leader?"

I don't really know much about you, but you certainly sound more ENTP than ENTJ, in the brief encounter I've come across in the OP. A particular skill of ENTPs is their ability to adapt to a wide range of environments/ideas which comes with dominant Ne. Another particular skill is the ability to understand the intricacies of a system, which comes with secondary Ti.

You appear to have spent a prolonged period of time observing and analyzing the kind of personal style that is necessary to be a leader. You have studied it and made mental sense of it, and you seem to have developed a master knowledge of what leadership takes. Thus, you have picked up on the types of variables that go into being a leader, organized, structured, and efficient, and you have adapted your behavior/values in a way that has helped you master this particular style.

ENTJs are much more likely to just naturally thrive off of structuring their outer world in order to accomplish some goal. Dominant Te cannot be shut off; it is not a matter of them saying "I want to be organized now." They typically just default to taking the steps required to make their environment more organized and efficient, without really consciously putting forth effort.

You have merely accepted fault. Originally Ne/Ti said that organization is a waste of time and not fun at all, but after dabbling a bit, you have learned enough from your external world that organization and leadership are passions of yours and can get you somewhere useful, so you've put effort into studying these things.

When you say you think you're ENTJ because you've become more organized, more of a hard-worker, and a better leader, you are doing the same thing that a lot of people around here do, and that's forming [faulty] behavioral stereotypes with the different personality types. To make a long story short, everyone who thrives on power, leadership, and efficiency is not an ENTJ.
amazing!!! That was very helpful, thanks! My father is an ENTJ, by the way. :(
Not the greatest dad ever, hahaha, and always scold me and make me be like him.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

ENTP = Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ = Te Ni Se Fi

I read most of this and am compelled to stand beside you in support. You also helped me settle my long decision between J/P that I had been going through (If you remember) with the sentiment you gave about adaptation. And with that I applaud you.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It was 2 years ago... in the beggining it was very boring, always scolded because of my disorganized ways of doing things, forgetting things, procrastinate [...] now, I like to take decisions, manage people, improve and be efficient, more hardworking, etc lot of entj traits...

I took a Myers-Briggs test at work, and my boss told us that he would score ENTP outside of work and ENTJ when at work. Maybe Ps can hit a "J" switch on their back and begin taking control of the situation they lie in.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I took a Myers-Briggs test at work, and my boss told us that he would score ENTP outside of work and ENTJ when at work. Maybe Ps can hit a "J" switch on their back and begin taking control of the situation they lie in.

I can do this, but dislike (most of the time) doing it. It goes against what I've told others how I believe.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ

ENTP = Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ = Te Ni Se Fi

Oh man, you stole the words right off me. On a good note, thanks for putting in the hard effort into articulately explaining the situation.

To make a long story short, everyone who thrives on power, leadership, and efficiency is not an ENTJ.

This is so true about me, but yet so ironic - that I cant break it down any further to explain it.

ENTJ's don't CRAVE for power, leadership and efficiency. I could care less about being the top leader of some organization, and politically - if I was elected for mayor forget it, I would resign. Why?

Because what would such specific power and leadership bring of benefit to me? Just power and leadership? No thanks!

I don't know about other ENTJs, and I'm hoping I can get some feedback from others ---- But this is my life from the big picture:

Everything I do in my life is based out of a "mental picture" of who and where I want to be in the future. I'm talking about the long-range future, 10-20 years out.

It's hard to comprehend, but I create "forlorn memories" in my mind of where I'd be specifically in the future. They're sort of like de ja vous but in the future, impending state of beings that feel familiar to me yet they never occured.

For example, I used to daydream in school when I was a kid of running my own business and traveling the world. I always had a "background" mental image of myself having a cup of coffee at the JFK airport terminal, then boarding a plane on my way to Europe for an "adventurous" vacation. I created this mental image out of thin air, and the excitement I got out of just thinking it was amazing.

That background mental imagery was a supernatural and infinite source of motivation for me to become successful. Thinking back, I've fulfilled that same mental aspiration last summer when I went on a two week tour of Amsterdam and Paris. I've also started my own business, Alternative Smoking Technologies LLC, retailing electronic cigarettes online. I hate bragging, and I wouldn't say I've hit the jackpot and have it made - but I surprised at how the industry is booming in wake of this epic economical catastrophe. Probably because the expense of traditional cigarettes are forcing people to seek other innovative approaches to relinquish their habit. One of my sites is thevapormall.com, I have a few others coming up soon.

This venture has given me an amazing sense of confidence and freedom, the same sensation I longed for when I was a kid in school staring out the window and clock. Now I have other mental pictures, and everything I do is founded out of my "life's greater aspirations" not for the sake of merely accomplishing something.

THEN, the leadership, efficiency protocols, and drive to move forward falls into place naturally. My employees (primarily in the marketing sector) are overwhelmed with the tasks and duties I place upon them, and they often complain that they are greater than this world, labeling them as "impossible." But for some reason, everyone is stunned and almost looks at me like I'm literally a psycho wizard - because the impossible gets accomplished -- beyond expectation, and they can't understand why other that they've heeded my guidance and direction.

So all in all, if you were an ENTJ - you would have most likely retired your father and taken 100% control of his business at the age of 18. Or you would have said "NO" to you father's request, and went out to pursue your own venture.

"freedom" and "lifestyle" are the ENTJ's broadest foundation & motive that drives all of their directives. The "power" and all the other good stuff falls in place to the foundations of the aforementioned maxim naturally, not by choice.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm.. You sure you aren't a sociable INTJ? All that sounds like Ni is your guiding star whereas Te is an assist tool. That is, Ni-Te, as opposed to Te-Ni.

@ OP: Personally I don't agree with the idea that people can't change type -- type after all is a symbol for a set of traits associated to cognition, rather than anything tangible -- but I do pretty much agree with the rest of what Teslashock said. If your emergent thirst for power and organization arose from having logically figured out the ins and outs of it and then settled into it, then that would be Ti + Si interplay rather than Te. Much in the same way, I often use Te + Si in a way that often gets mistaken for Ti.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hmm.. You sure you aren't a sociable INTJ? All that sounds like Ni is your guiding star whereas Te is an assist tool. That is, Ni-Te, as opposed to Te-Ni.

Definitely not. I think I emphasized my Ni a little too much in my last post but I'll quote from my own narrative:

"That background mental imagery was a supernatural and infinite source of motivation for me to become successful." - Referring to my Ni

But after the countless times I've taken the MBTI test I've always struck ENTJ with the highest (around 90%) being the Te or extroverted thinking. I cannot see building my life and having the basis for all of my directives and decisions founded on mere mental imagery, but rather it's the underlying motivation.

Without the ability to have a strong flair for logical contingency planning, keeping a semi-engraved daily schedule, and keeping continuous watch on how things are progressing - I would probably be still in school daydreaming and staring out the window.

Another thing about me is that even though I establish a strong agenda and plan of action - I am somehow dependent on others' feedback of the subject matter. Although I feel that a plan or strategy I've devised is 100% concrete and fool/recession-proof -- I always have a knack for "cross checking" and making myself 101% sure its flawless by listening to others' feedback. Im usually extremely interested in what others have to say about whatever it is I'm about to implement, but most of the time I get the typical "It's great" or "Yeah, good plan" sort of response which has no real value for me.