• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs why did you embrace religion?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I was 18 years old I have read Sogyal Rinpoche's Tibetan Book of Living and Dying where he has evinced that we tend not to be able to come to terms with our death peacefully.

As a panacea, he recommended a path to spirituality proffered by the Buddhist religious tradition he subscribed to.

I have attempted the pursuit, however, was reluctant to embrace any particular orthodoxy and moreover was dissatisfied with the metaphysical ambiguity of the Buddhistic creed.

Later on I have come across some very well argued propositions in favor of Christianity--were sound enough to convince me to give that a try...

My intellectual honesty was compromised because the pursuit of spirituality insisted on primacy of faith over reason. Therefore philosophy was only as good as it affirmed the religious prejudices. Ideas that agree with the accepted dogma are to be promoted, those that disagree rejected. This I could not accept.

At this point I was well on my way to losing faith until I have come across Kierkegaard whose doctrines seemed to have made the furtherance of such a spiritual path possible. He insisted on fideism, or treating faith as simply a desire of the heart and one that has nothing to do with our intellectual ambitions. So, Christianity for us is not any particular metaphysical or epistemic doctrine, but simply a feeling that reinforces our focus on the spiritual path.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This I could not tolerate either as such an approach insisted on making decisions based on Feelings and moreover, I did not think I could hold on to my faith by those merits. If my faith was contingent upon feelings, intuitions, impulses, etc...and I was not at all clear on what those were, as I paid little attention to my hunches without the due reasoning, and to feelings even less, there is nothing substantial for my faith to stand on. Moreover, due to my intense Thinking oriented approach to life, my sentiments and hunches massively countervailed the feelings in favor of faith. Fideism was unacceptable to me, so I had to go back and suffer more with my previously embraced approach to religion.

Typical route of epistemic justification, one embraced by St.Aquinas and Maimonides.

I was resolute on maintaining faith because to me it represented the path to spirituality, the highest possible good, and moreover was convinced that in the future I may be able to preclude the religious dogma from stultifying my quest for truth. I still was unsure if I wished to abandon fideism, as I was hoping it would give me an opportunity to pursue my philosophy unperturbed by religious dogma and still continue on the 'spiritual path', if I simply had the idea of Christianity in mind. I was hardly aware that this same fideism has left the idea of Christianity hardly devoid of content..as it has become no more than a vague, amorphous notion of blind hope founded on wishful thinking. I knew I believed in some higher essence, no idea why, or what it even was--though still hopeful I would discover that sooner or later, as my confidence in my abstract problem solving remained stellar, despite the recent setbacks.

Many times have I thought of abandoning the quest as it consistently struck me as no other than barren. It is either the hollow Fideism where Christianity becomes no more than cant, or dogmatic theology at the risk of endangering my inner life. I could not cease vacillating between the two. I have not made up my mind till the very end. Soon enough, in the common INTP fashion I have undertaken to synthesize the two disparate theories and found myself at an intermediate point between the two. I embraced the certain bits of fideism to ensure that the Christian dogma doesnt strangle my inner life, but the sheer poverty of the doctrine compelled me to look for something more substantial.

Not surprisingly, I've turned to the epistemic support of my Christian prejudices, and found myself contriving many intricate epistemic and metaphysical schemes to render my faith tenable. As I thought, in the end it had to be no more than a leap of faith, from a philosophical perspective, Christianity need not be cogent, it only needs to be tenable to a degree, however small. This, I barely managed to accomplish..

Yet in the end I realized I suffered from the many defects common in the epistemic justification tradition of Christianity (Aquinas), philosophy has become subordinate to Christian dogma. I was examining most closely not the ideas that I thought were most likely to conduce to the acquisition of truth, but those that were most likely to allow for me to remain on the 'spiritual path'. This was too heavy of a toll for my inner life to pay and I've finally turned my back on it all...

With the due assistance of Spinoza and Schopenhauer, I've managed to concoct a religion-free approach to spirituality. One of my most noteworthy discoveries yet...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NTs tend to be dismissive of spirituality because this notion is often amorphous and vague, and therefore is unacceptable to our clarity minded attitudes...

Before having read the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, I would not have minded calmly dismissing it all as the kind of superstitious non-sense that I need not pay another second of my time..yet his argument for the need of spirituality and our inability to face death were compelling. How do you recondite this problem?

Moreover, if you have embraced religion, how did you deal with the problems I have struggled with? And what were your reasons for embracing religion?

If you have chosen the path of non-spirituality, do you intend to find a non-religious spirituality, and if not, how do you deal with Rinpoche's problem? (More clearly emphasized in Ernest Becker's Denial of Death).

---------------------------------------------------------------

At this point I have completed my first work on philosophy of religion where I intend to solve the problems that have befallen my lot. I believe that religious orthodoxy is not only harmful to one's inner life, but also stultifies the pursuit of spirituality. The latter could well be acquired with unaided reason, and in the worst case scenario can indeed give us all that we'd need from life. The true autonomy of mind and inner calm that organized religion proves to be no more than a vapid hologram for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivy

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I went to a Catholic school for elementary school, and was largely brought up in a lot of the traditional Catholic stuff...I never really gave things like the Beatitudes, original sin, and going to hell much thought as a kid. I had always feared going to hell, though. More than anything it just scared the shit out of me; as I grew older (after leaving the school), I perceived a lot of things within Catholicism as obligations that were empty, that didn't particularly resonate with me--the essence of my own spirituality. There were just things that I didn't agree with.

In seventh and eighth grade I went to a "Protestant school" where I began to
accept a lot of what was preached. Both schools had mandatory religion classes...I don't know whether or not my blind acceptance of things came as a result of a weakness of will, insecurity or just not questioning, but I listened enough to what I was told and made it resonate with me...subconsciously. The one defining principle was the idea of gay marriage--as far as I know, before coming to that school, I was totally ambivalent to gay marriage (I don't remember if I knew what homosexuality was). Our very personable George W. Bush loving pastor/teacher of religion and American history (fucking deadly combination, bad news) had me convinced that homosexuality was immoral. Now I don't know how much of a spiritual thing this is, but I accepted it as a truth. Perhaps it can be a rational principle and a spiritual principle. But the point was I changed my mind.

I went to a different school for my freshman and sophomore year of high school, with no religious affiliation or mandatory religion class of any sort. Removed from any sort of influence, I was able to really figure things out for myself, and finally rejected homosexuality as immoral because being gay doesn't hurt anybody, and it just doesn't make any fucking sense for homosexuality to be immoral. Why would it be? Because God said? Why would God say so? Because it's immoral? Bullshit. Look, I don't even think God thinks homosexuality is immoral, and I also think it's a handful of colossal assholes who don't get into heaven. Homosexuality doesn't equate to going to hell.

I too had always just thought there was some higher power. I don't know how much room for rationalization there is for spirituality outside of looking within yourself and figuring out whether or not "X" is you. Spirituality is ultimately beyond my brain, and probably rightfully so. One could say I have a very arrogant sense of spirituality.

Honestly I consider myself a Christian if I'm going to classify myself as something, and I consider myself a Christian by virtue of the fact that I believe in God, Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and the works. I don't go to church, but that's not important, I don't believe that faith is actually "practiced," or at the very least, I'm not a "practicing" Christian. There is no way to strengthen faith or get closer to something (entity, etc.) other than for you to get closer to whatever you are seeking.

To answer the topic question I "embraced" religion mostly because it was taught to me, or I was born into it. Family members, though not sticklers for religion, had a hand in it because they often discussed God (and other things) and I loved to listen to these conversations as a young'n even though I didn't entirely comprehend the meaning. I'm not sure that I would have gone on a spiritual quest or have been a Christian had I not learned it to a certain extent as a kid. However, it makes sense to me, it resonates, so it can stay.

--I'm going to edit this later.--

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
A person can ask me about one of these four things and depending on what they ask I will give a different answer: religion, faith, spirituality, theology. These are four different but related things. However I think the best way to (start to) answer your post is to describe my views on faith and reason. My essential view on faith and reason, not just in a spiritual context but in any context, is this:

"Reason without faith is useless." Or another way I would say it is, "Reason without faith is unreasonable."

This is because in order to draw any reasonable conclusion you first have to make some assumptions. These assumptions have different names depending on the context: axioms, postulates, a priori statements, etc.... In a spiritual context it is called faith. When I was seeking for some type of spiritual meaning, what I was really trying to do was figure out which axioms to base my life upon. All other conclusions would reasonably follow.

Unlike most people I try to boil down my foundational beliefs to as few statements as possible. I believe that I can condense my faith down to these two statements:
"Jesus rose from the dead on the Sunday morning following his crucifiction."
"The writers of the New Testament believed the same."

I cannot prove these two statements. Instead I accept them on faith and my other views on spirituality, religion, etc... are conclusions which are based on these two statements. This doesn't answer the question though of why I would believe in Jesus in the first place. That answer can be summed up by this statement from Jesus, "If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own." Jn. 7:17

In my case I had repented and had decided to follow God before I knew what it meant to repent, be forgiven, receive the Holy Spirit, or any basic Christian teaching. It was only after reading the Bible that I discovered that it was describing what I had already experienced. However I hold that the scripture John 7:17 is still true. Anyone who decides to follow the will of God will know whether the teachings of Jesus are true. In my case I followed this scripture before I knew that I was supposed to.

Christianity, or more accurately the Bible, must be tried before it is believed. I actually believe for an NT it is best to follow the Bible at the beginning and if you believe after that then you should seek a religion that is based on your faith. Religion should come second after your faith in Christ. A person should only get their teachings from religion if they are not willing to do serious study on their own.

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
Religion should come second after your faith in Christ. A person should only get their teachings from religion if they are not willing to do serious study on their own.

And if I reach faith in Baldr before Christ? What if I come to understand Buddha instead of Christ?

I don't see how anyone can truly claim participating in "serious study on their own" unless they study comparative religions . . . but I'm not sure you would really disagree with me. I'm being a bit unfair attacking the particular quoted statement above.

I nitpick because I've come across many who give gaping, ignorant stares when I introduce the possibility of there being more than one religion (which is fundamentally inarguable--especially when withholding claims about the "truth" of any particular religion) to religious discussion :party2:

red13

MBTI Type
INTJ
I sometimes lose faith in MBTI. I cannot understand someone of the same type as myself actually believing in Christianity et al. I can understand why some "weak" types succumb but NT's especially INTJ's/INTP, surely not?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sometimes lose faith in MBTI. I cannot understand someone of the same type as myself actually believing in Christianity et al. I can understand why some "weak" types succumb but NT's especially INTJ's/INTP, surely not?

It all depends on initial assumptions. The logic process [evaluation of data] can be as rigorous, but if you change your assumptions that you're feeding into it, then you come out with different answers.

Go to INTJforum or INTPcentral and look at the wide variety of difference in beliefs, based solely on what the initial assumptions are.

Fun, hmmm? :)

red13

MBTI Type
INTJ
It all depends on initial assumptions. The logic process [evaluation of data] can be as rigorous, but if you change your assumptions that you're feeding into it, then you come out with different answers.

Go to INTJforum or INTPcentral and look at the wide variety of difference in beliefs, based solely on what the initial assumptions are.

Fun, hmmm? :)

Sorry but I really can't believe that anyone who rationally looks at the data would ever become Christian/Jewish/Muslim etc. I can believe that social upbringing and pressure cause people to conform to their local religion, but if they really looked at the data they would surely reject it.

I will however look at the two forums you suggest to see if I can get any insights.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
Lucretius has a pretty good argument about death.

More or less, he says that life after death is simply inconsistent and thus men are mortal. But fear of death always involves imagining death, while alive to imagine it. But that is to imagine life presence after death in order to imagine it at all, when we already agreed that life after death was inconsistent. "Death is therefore nothing to us, concerns us not a jot."

I think it's both beautiful and compelling.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
For all I know, Allah is God, and every religion is right, and there are infinitely many more religions than the ones that exist/we know of now, ones that have yet to be "realized" or "conceived/perceived" even. I don't see it as important to me logically/rationally/my peace of mind or spiritually whether or not I'm right in what I choose.

More or less, [Lucretius] says that life after death is simply inconsistent and thus men are mortal. But fear of death always involves imagining death, while alive to imagine it. But that is to imagine life presence after death in order to imagine it at all, when we already agreed that life after death was inconsistent. "Death is therefore nothing to us, concerns us not a jot."

Life after death, strictly in the rational sense, is inconsistent. That's why I figure life after death is moreso a matter of faith. Plus, I've tried to imagine what death is like and what it means to really DIE not because I'm afraid, but just out of curiosity, but it is a bit hopeless. It reminds me of the Rosencrantz's musings on death in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead. I'll tack it in.

Rosencrantz: Did you ever think of yourself as actually dead, lying in a box with a lid on it?

Guildenstern: No.

Rosencrantz: Nor do I, really. It's silly to be depressed by it. I mean, one thinks of it like being alive in a box. One keeps forgetting to take into account the fact that one is dead, which should make all the difference, shouldn't it? I mean, you'd never know you were in a box, would you? It would be just like you were asleep in a box. Not that I'd like to sleep in a box, mind you. Not without any air. You'd wake up dead for a start, and then where would you be? In a box. That's the bit I don't like, frankly. That's why I don't think of it. Because you'd be helpless, wouldn't you? Stuffed in a box like that. I mean, you'd be in there forever, even taking into account the fact that you're dead. It isn't a pleasant thought. Especially if you're dead, really. Ask yourself, if I asked you straight off, "I'm going to stuff you in this box. Now, would you rather be alive or dead?" naturally, you'd prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better than no life at all, I expect. You'd have a chance, at least. You could lie there thinking, "Well, at least I'm not dead. In a minute somebody is going to bang on the lid, and tell me to come out."

But that IS a really thought-provoking idea.

red13, where do you come up with your ideas on NT's probable views on faith and "weak" types? And what "data" is there to look at on religion?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have always intuited a higher power. Brought up Catholic, I tried to distinguish myself with an inchoate "spirituality," but found the alternative empty. During hard times I found consolation in prayer, and then meaning in the church -- those people who by their works show belief -- and converted to the American Baptist church nearly six years ago.

The nature of God, the father of Christ, is what convinces me, omnipotence that eschews totalism lying beyond human instinct.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
I hope this doesn't come across sounding defensive, but what's so superior/logical/compelling/whatever you want to call it about rejecting religion? Most of the time I see people having a poorly excused hubris about their place in the universe.

Of people who try Christianity and then turn away from it I see a lot of impatience. Maybe not realizing it but going to church with a real let it ride attitude. First time something doesn't go their way or they're left w/out an answer the who notion of there being a god becomes idiotic and they scoff at anyone sticking around for the Memorial day w/e picnic.

There are plenty of bad churches and practices that dissuade people from growing spiritually. I get that. Plenty of people think it's just stupid not to be top dog of their own life. My perception has been that those who've rejected the notion of there being a god don't have things any better than those who have. If there's no god and people are their own master, then what's left for me or for anyone?

I think there's an under estimation of what believers get from their walk. I've never really been trouble about how the universe came into existence. I've never had to tussle w/the duality of there being suffering in the world and if that precludes the notion of there being a god. I'm also not so sure if people who required such answers would be any more prone to seek God if they got a detailed answer in an e-mail from the customer service dept from heaven.

As per the O.P, I did grow up in a Christian home. It was prolly more of a moral base for me. It wasn't until I was on my own in my 20's that I really sought out a relationship w/Christ. Being a Christian I've found love, purpose, opportunity, growth, and healing. I've had disappointments, made tough sacrifices and hurts. As an INTP, big picture person, I can say that nothing I've chosen in God has not presented itself as a greater good, more sound long term choice. From what's happened to help me in my life and seeing how it's helped others, it'd be ridiculous for me to dismiss it all as coincidence, illogical or being ill-informed.

red13

MBTI Type
INTJ
I hope this doesn't come across sounding defensive, but what's so superior/logical/compelling/whatever you want to call it about rejecting religion? Most of the time I see people having a poorly excused hubris about their place in the universe.

Are you referring to any of the posts here? I haven’t noticed anyone suggesting that Atheism is superior. Also personally I don’t reject religion, I just see absolutely no reason to have one. I don’t have any idea why we’re here or what our point is but that doesn’t mean that I want to make something up to answer unanswerable questions.

I think there's an under estimation of what believers get from their walk

I’m sure that believers do get a lot of comfort from their faith, but so do people who go to séances and talk to their dear departed relatives, or those that believe in Astrology, Tarot cards etc.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't believe in organized religion per se as it usually includes jumping through a lot of man-made hoops, but I had a personal experience with God in a vision, where He forgave me of all my sins, and accepted me. He changed my heart that day, and I've never been the same since. That was 25 years ago. I have had subsequent experiences also where He has healed me of physical ailments, and healed deep wounds in my soul.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ

Of people who try Christianity and then turn away from it I see a lot of impatience. Maybe not realizing it but going to church with a real let it ride attitude. First time something doesn't go their way or they're left w/out an answer the who notion of there being a god becomes idiotic and they scoff at anyone sticking around for the Memorial day w/e picnic.

There are plenty of bad churches and practices that dissuade people from growing spiritually. I get that. Plenty of people think it's just stupid not to be top dog of their own life. My perception has been that those who've rejected the notion of there being a god don't have things any better than those who have. If there's no god and people are their own master, then what's left for me or for anyone?

I think there's an under estimation of what believers get from their walk. I've never really been trouble about how the universe came into existence. I've never had to tussle w/the duality of there being suffering in the world and if that precludes the notion of there being a god. I'm also not so sure if people who required such answers would be any more prone to seek God if they got a detailed answer in an e-mail from the customer service dept from heaven.

As per the O.P, I did grow up in a Christian home. It was prolly more of a moral base for me. It wasn't until I was on my own in my 20's that I really sought out a relationship w/Christ. Being a Christian I've found love, purpose, opportunity, growth, and healing. I've had disappointments, made tough sacrifices and hurts. As an INTP, big picture person, I can say that nothing I've chosen in God has not presented itself as a greater good, more sound long term choice. From what's happened to help me in my life and seeing how it's helped others, it'd be ridiculous for me to dismiss it all as coincidence, illogical or being ill-informed.

Word. :D Some of the most rational, intellectual people are/were strong Christians. CS Lewis (who definitely was INTJ), GK Chesterton, George MacDonald, Scott Hahn, Peter Kreeft, John Piper, and so on.

red13, I think people interpreted your post correlating "weak" types with religion as implying that people who ascribe to a religion are emotionally weaker and use it as a crutch. That might not be what you intended it to mean, but I can see the implication being there. :)

By the way, hi everyone! :D i'm new around here. Looking fwd to getting to know you all!

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Why we are here I see more as a purpose thing that people can create for themselves. I also don't think we need a reason to exist.

And have fun here, Kristiana. =)

red13

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think people interpreted your post correlating "weak" types with religion as implying that people who ascribe to a religion are emotionally weaker and use it as a crutch. That might not be what you intended it to mean, but I can see the implication being there. :)

That's your interpretation, and maybe says more about you than me, although I would not necessarily disagree with the statement. Who are these people who interpreted "weak" in this way?

I think one of the interesting aspects of a forum like this is the different attitude to religion in the US and the UK. The majority of people in the UK like religion to have a very low profile and plays little part in daily life. From my experience in the US religion is much more mainstream.

Welcome to MBTICentral Kristiana, I notice that your profile doesn’t state where you’re from.

p.s. Did C.S. Lewis actually take the test?

Last edited by a moderator:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry but I really can't believe that anyone who rationally looks at the data would ever become Christian/Jewish/Muslim etc. I can believe that social upbringing and pressure cause people to conform to their local religion, but if they really looked at the data they would surely reject it. I will however look at the two forums you suggest to see if I can get any insights.

That's the most I could ask.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Sorry but I really can't believe that anyone who rationally looks at the data would ever become Christian/Jewish/Muslim etc. I can believe that social upbringing and pressure cause people to conform to their local religion, but if they really looked at the data they would surely reject it.

I will however look at the two forums you suggest to see if I can get any insights.
Where is this data? Can I see it? :)

MBTI is an indicator and there are other factors involved, for example neuroticism can really throw off a persons type.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
There are plenty of bad churches and practices that dissuade people from growing spiritually. I get that. Plenty of people think it's just stupid not to be top dog of their own life. My perception has been that those who've rejected the notion of there being a god don't have things any better than those who have.

Perhaps we are great to the extent we have a beautiful vision we walk toward rather than to the extent we have an ugly nightmare we walk away from. Both thiest and athiest can focus on what they adamently reject, attempt to persuade others to reject it too, and argue passionately against what they find so distasteful in another view, but listen to either of them speak passionately about the beauty and magnificience of their vision, listen to them inspire and uplift, and you know in that moment that there is no persuading this person from what they believe ... and that there is no need to. Rather, now we really are listening. We want to hear more.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
That's your interpretation, and maybe says more about you than me, although I would not necessarily disagree with the statement. Who are these people who interpreted "weak" in this way?
red13 said:
Also personally I don't reject religion, I just see absolutely no reason to have one.
First off, I don't see how that isn't rejecting religion? That seems like a total contradiction. Like saying, "I don't reject seatbelts. I'm just not wearing one." I'm not asking you to quantify your decision, I'm just saying from a reading comprehension pov, much like your previous argument...:huh:I must be seeing something different than what you believe you're trying to say.

moving on...
That is precisely the point of faith, to trust in a god despite not having enough empirical or quantitative data to confirm the choice or to make a faith-based decision when evidence to the contrary is present. After doing things that's prescribed to increase faith or please God and the results produce far beyond what my own rational decision could have delivered, it to me, and many other believers, becomes the rational decision to do the things pertaining to God's will.

I was "forced" (didn't really mind but sometimes wanted to sleep) to go to church until I was in middle school. By the time I was in high school, from what I can remember, I chose to go far more often than not and would drive myself. Prolly the biggest mark it made in my life was strengthening me so I "didn't have to follow the crowd." Did that partially shape me into an INTP? Did being an INTP aid this? Who knows. But from what I can remember, that was really the bedrock point for me and Christianity at the time.

I did see Christianity at work though in my home and in the lives of others. It wasn't a case of getting up Sundays to look good to the rest of the community. To truly follow Jesus requires the individual rely on his or her own faith and not what may've been brow beaten or spoon fed to them as children. I think some people in all faiths have a sort of "as the church body goes, I go" mentality. The distance between them and their god is so great that it would seem ineffectual, if not outright pointless to partake in. But I would say there comes a point for a person to choose religion, at least Christianity, and not go off the faith of his or her parents or environmental pressures to follow. People particularly now will just walk away.
I think one of the interesting aspects of a forum like this is the different attitude to religion in the US and the UK. The majority of people in the UK like religion to have a very low profile and plays little part in daily life. From my experience in the US religion is much more mainstream.
If church is, as you mentioned, sort of a back burner in someone's life then it prolly would make even less sense to belong or be involved. In the US, particularly in the bible belt, the activity and presence of churches can be very showy. Though prominent in visibility, whether they're living out Jesus' design could be highly debatable. (Not saying that they aren't, just saying there's room to question). They would be more likely to have kind of the legislation of morality mentality. "You're not wearing Britney pants to school..." "Don't go see the movie The Golden Compass. Those are sins!!!" Those kinds of things. Whereas in such areas you could prolly make a huge donation to your church or go out on five dates and not sleep w/your partner and people aren't going to look at you cross eyed. :wtf:

Where I am, in sunny, do-as-you-please So Cal, at best church is kinda viewed as a "whatever makes you happy," activity. If you don't attend services for five weeks in a row, no one's going to say anything. Being a church committee leader isn't going to impress anyone though neither. There's no social validation that you'd prolly otherwise get in the South. Don't get me wrong, one could actually be esteemed for living a godly life in the bible belt and it not in the bad sense. While that's far less likely to happen in LA, there is prolly more freedom for individuals to grow faith relationships and get past do's & don'ts of "practicing religion."