• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ achilles heel?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My question would then be...why don't YOU get antsy? :D

Because there's no need to get antsy. It's pointless. All it does is get my, eh hem, panties all up in a bunch. And what's the point of that? Life is too short to walk around with my panties in a bunch. :D

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Because there's no need to get antsy. It's pointless. All it does is get my, eh hem, panties all up in a bunch. And what's the point of that? Life is too short to walk around with my panties in a bunch. :D

You sure? You can make a lot of American ENTJ business travelers happy in Thailand that way. They sure wouldn't be checking their watch then.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He already said and re-iterated several times: there's no point. No purpose is served by it.

But there is a purpose. Anxiety is over-alertness. One must be alert to not miss the train!

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But there is a purpose. Anxiety is over-alertness. One must be alert to not miss the train!

I always thought just simply being "alert" was enough. I didn't know I needed to be "over alert" until I achieve the blissful state of anxiety. But, I'll start being anxious more often. Here's to anxiety. :cheers:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm a bit late to this party, (harharhaha), but I felt that I should supply another input as an ENTJ.

I am the exact same way as your friend. I plan my day out to the minute and if something interrupts that plan where it is seemingly irrelevant, it will start to agitate me. If I say I'm going to be somewhere at a certain time, I better be there. I will freak out to the max, become antsy, become rude to people, drive like a maniac, scream obscenities at people who are obeying traffic laws -- all because I can't stand the possibility of being late. It's one of the only things that actually stresses me out. My friends have come to accept this annoying tendency, thank god.

Salvadorabian

MBTI Type
infp
I'm not an ENTJ, but when I have something important to do and my time is delayed, part of what makes me antsy is anticipating other possible delays even if I have a reasonable amount of time to get to my destination-- like traffic, not finding a parking spot, whether or not I have ever been to a location, whether I need to set something up before others arrive, etc.

G

Glycerine

I have a good ENTJ friend and I noticed something yesterday. He and I were asked to help someone move some large household items. He had a "meeting" planned at a certain time and so he couldn't stay and help as long as I could. Well, as time drew closer to his meeting, he became consumed by his pre-planned schedule. He was looking at his watch every 30 seconds. He literally could not get it off of his mind. It was to the point to where I wanted to just say, "Just leave. You're basically being ineffective NOW because you're thinking so much about 1 hour from now. You're really just getting in the way." I found it rather childish to be honest.

People bemoan the P function, saying that it's lazy and can't keep a schedule and it's flaky, etc, etc. I don't disagree that we can sometimes (if left unchecked) fall into these habits. But, one of the strengths of P, is that it is flexible. It goes with the flow. When life throws a curveball of sorts or when events/schedules change (which they do every single day), we don't panic or freak out. We just calmly go with the flow and play with the hand that is being dealt.

So, this isn't a rant on why P's are better than J's. I have a couple ENTJ friends who I think are great. I'm just wondering from the ENTJ perspective if this type of thing is something that you struggle with or get easily frustrated with. I've also had an ISTP tell me about a different ENTJ that, "he has everything planned out perfectly, and if things don't go according to his plan, then he freaks out and doesn't know what to do." That doesn't mean it's true, but it does mean that this is the way the ISTP is perceiving his reactions.

Thoughts?
Do that w/ most EXXJ types and watch their heads explode. :devil: Basically, many EXXJs have this intricate plan per day and if someone screws it up for them, they have to recalculate everything around the disruption. This can get pretty annoying and they get frazzled. I'm only like this w/ things I *deem* important. How crucial was the meeting?

G

Ginkgo

Do that w/ most EXXJ types and watch their heads explode. :devil: Basically, many EXXJs have this intricate plan per day and if someone screws it up for them, they have to recalculate everything around the disruption. This can get pretty annoying and they get frazzled. I'm only like this w/ things I *deem* important. How crucial was the meeting?

HAHAHAa I did this to an ENTJ once. Epic win.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Well, the meeting was definitely something he should not have missed. He's leading the meeting, so he needed to be there. Like I said, if I were him, I wouldn't have missed the meeting either. The meeting was definitely more important than what we were doing, but it wasn't like the meeting of the century or anything like that. It was a routine meeting. But, I know he plans well in advance for such meetings - he's very well prepared and likes them to go according to plan.

Even so, he could have prevented all of the stress by saying something like, "I need to leave 2 hours before my meeting so that I can prepare myself mentally." My whole point here is: go ahead and take whatever time you need for preparation, travel, etc. But, whatever you do, don't allow yourself to stress out that much over a very routine thing. Adjust your schedule in a way that you can remain relatively stress free. And that will be different for each person.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, the meeting was definitely something he should not have missed. He's leading the meeting, so he needed to be there. Like I said, if I were him, I wouldn't have missed the meeting either. The meeting was definitely more important than what we were doing, but it wasn't like the meeting of the century or anything like that. It was a routine meeting. But, I know he plans well in advance for such meetings - he's very well prepared and likes them to go according to plan.

Even so, he could have prevented all of the stress by saying something like, "I need to leave 2 hours before my meeting so that I can prepare myself mentally." My whole point here is: go ahead and take whatever time you need for preparation, travel, etc. But, whatever you do, don't allow yourself to stress out that much over a very routine thing. Adjust your schedule in a way that you can remain relatively stress free. And that will be different for each person.

Perhaps he was already getting mentally ready for the meeting, but still didn't feel like saying "no" to your friend's request for help (sometimes it's not so easy to say "no" when people ask you to do something "minor" which you kind of don't feel like doing), yet he couldn't shake the uneasy feeling. From my perspective this seems quite normal, although of course it's biased since my type and his type coincide.