• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Where does the time go?

T

ThatGirl

I stopped driving because I realized I was a danger on the roads. :doh: That and I can live without a car thanks to my location. But seriously, I cannot drive, I'm far too inattentive.

This isn't completely related, but I can't seem to instantly plan when to start getting ready as some people do. They can just time-budget on the fly, I have to sit down and allot times for everything. But I don't, so I end up starting to leave when I'm supposed to be going out the door, and then I end up late because starting to leave entails packing stuff up, etc.

I intend to quit driving soon as I am rich enough to hire a driver. For now I have great insurance.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I have a weirdly accurate internal clock, actually, both in terms of being a stopwatch and telling the time. I wake up whenever I need to - at the exact right stop on the light rail train (when I'd nap on the way to school), always just in time to shower and get to work or class in the morning... without any alarms being necessary unless it's the wrong end of the morning (as in 5 AM or earlier).

There's also the odd and common occurrence of me knowing what time it is fairly regularly, without having seen a clock in hours.

On the other hand, if there is not a specific date I need to remember, dates can fly by for a week or so and I'll not know what day of the month it is unless I check... this only happens when I don't care, though.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This isn't completely related, but I can't seem to instantly plan when to start getting ready as some people do. They can just time-budget on the fly, I have to sit down and allot times for everything. But I don't, so I end up starting to leave when I'm supposed to be going out the door, and then I end up late because starting to leave entails packing stuff up, etc.
I have always been very good at scheduling. I have a sense of just how much usable time I have until I need to leave for an appointment, how much I can accomplish during that time, and how long it will take me to get ready. This includes a small buffer for the unforseen delay due to traffic, etc. When I was growing up, my mother would hound me to get ready for things long before it was necessary in my estimation. I would tell her not to fuss, and proceed on my own schedule. Both then and now, I am hardly ever late.

I can easily lose track of the passage of time, as when engrossed in a project. Once I realize I have lost track of time, however, I can usually guess to within 15 minutes what the current time is, even after many hours have passed. I also seem to be able to will myself to awaken within 15 minutes of when I need to be up (always on the early side), though I always use alarm clocks when it is important.

proximo

I always lose track of time. I can lose anywhere from 30 minutes to a whole day. I get very nervous when I have to go somewhere important, where I can't be late. Because that requires being very aware of the time. I can't relax and do anything else because I fear I'll forget to go to the place, or I'll leave too late. I should use alarms.

It wouldn't work. I get that one too, and though I've started using my calendar on my cellphone, setting it to beep and stuff at opportune times, I still can't relax when I have a particular set appointment that day. I worry that I'll not hear my cellphone, or the battery will inexplicably die or something like that.

Also, I can relate to forgetting the month, week, day for sure. I forget the year at least once a month, too, and not just at the beginning of a year.

Totally. All days are pretty much weekends to me, or weekdays, depending how you look at it. I stay at home with my kids and homeschool them, I don't have a paid job but I have one at home that's just as hard work as a paid one, the only difference is that I run my own schedule (or lack thereof) as I see fit, so what the calendar says is of little consequence from one day to the next.

I don't watch TV either; I don't have one... sometimes I have to navigate time by how many dinners I've cooked since the last time the kids made me watch Dr Who with them on BBC iPlayer on the PC, which I know is and always has been on a Saturday.

Yeah. I write down everything I have to do onto a notepad because I live in fear of forgetting things (bills etc). My memory is atrocious especially for things I couldn't care less about. If only paper made beeping noises when things were due, or when I had put off doing them for too long. It's too easy to write things down and put it off to the side, only to forget about it completely.

Except that I also forget to actually consult the notepad. I forget I have a notepad.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How would I know? I was unaware.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
when i'm not working. i don't even look at clocks....sometimes i decide to clean the house at 3 am...sometimes i'm still up at 5 am...just starting to get sleepy. i don't always know the day of the week or the date...i often say the other day and it was really like months ago.

ocean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
67sx
Up to 5-6 hours if I'm concentrating on something. Usually it's some biological need (extreme hunger or not being able to keep my eyes open), or some interruption (doorbell).

But what are really our surroundings? The wooden and plastic objects around us? Or the ideas that keep coming up again and again in our life? The lessons I've learned are like couches I can rest on, knowing they will support my weight. Theories of time and space are like a window I look out at the big world through. Schopenhauer is like an old buddy who keeps walking around my apartment making some witty and negative comment...

My mind is the real world, and the room I am sitting in, well that's made of voxels... :)

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I tend to lose time when reading, browsing about on the internet, and watching TV. I will sit down, telling myself I have so many minutes, and when I look back up -- hours have passed. It puts me in such a fowl mood the rest of the day that I have wasted away time, I become weary of sitting down to begin with.

When I'm waiting for an appointment, I also sit by waiting for time to move faster...so I'll try and ease my mind by doing something and then tend to get caught up and be dangerously late to the appointment.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Time goes to the internet to die.

And if this is the case, then forums are the drive through.

That being said, I'm never really on good terms with this whole 'time' thing, unless I have reason to be or constant reminders. I often don't know which week it is, which month, often which year. Ask me my age and I first need to figure out which year and month it is before I can answer.

In terms of surroundings? Only really notice them when I stop to manually drink them in, which is rare these days. Not often I get the chance to just relax and observe. As such, I'll go with 'rarely'.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Time goes to the internet to die.

And if this is the case, then forums are the drive through.

That being said, I'm never really on good terms with this whole 'time' thing, unless I have reason to be or constant reminders. I often don't know which week it is, which month, often which year. Ask me my age and I first need to figure out which year and month it is before I can answer.

In terms of surroundings? Only really notice them when I stop to manually drink them in, which is rare these days. Not often I get the chance to just relax and observe. As such, I'll go with 'rarely'.

Is there anything that usually forces you to 'drink' in your surroundings, or is it usually random?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I am reading or thinking about something really mind-blowing, alternatively talking to someone who really stimulates me, I can experience great time loss.
As for just drifting away, there have been times that several hours disappeared.
I'm usually awakened by base needs.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I quite often don't even remember what day of the week it is. If I'm let to my own I will even forget what month it is. I guess being an INTP it makes sense that Time is very low on my priority list unless it's important for me to remember.

Unique

Yeah agreed with the general "not really ever in touch with reality" thing that most the NTs are talking about in this thread

I'm guessing you are talking about really deep thought though, where you are not paying any attention what-so-ever to anything around you

If I'm alone I can slip in and out of these and I've never really timed it, I noticed 20mins had passed once when I got really deep in thought if that helps

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think for hours and hours on end, I've been lost in my own inner world, or when working on my creative projects. When I have to do something work related, I have to have some awareness of what's going on but my ni is constantly working. So it's kind of finding a balance, something that I always need to work on. I usually have to have some time awareness to get things done but I have little brainderps where I think it's the wrong day or lose track in some little way.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Time lasts forever when you're working, but disappears when you're thinking.

There are times when 5 hours feels like 5 minutes, and 5 minutes feels like 5 hours.

If I had no deadlines, or things to do. I'd feel like I was immortal, and have no concept of how much time I have wasted or used, because there will always be more and I'm not in a hurry.