• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENTPs and INFJs

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice one. To this I'd say that a disagreement is any two opposing ideas, so yes.

No friendly discussion/banter showing alternative possibilities? Well then I guess you'd be a.o.k. with an INFJ who happened to agree with every single one of your ideas!! ;)

(Although yes: with fundamental ideas you hold close to your heart, you'd probably want to be with someone who saw eye to eye with you, but this goes with pretty much anyone.)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

No friendly discussion/banter showing alternative possibilities? Well then I guess you'd be a.o.k. with an INFJ who happened to agree with every single one of your ideas!! ;)

We can only hope. We thrive on our ideas being scrutinized, this I won't deny. I need this in order improve in any way. That's not what I'd consider a disagreement though. Criticism, doesn't mean you disagree it means you wish to alter something you perceive can be done better. In other words you enjoy the concept you just wish to make it more efficient.

proximo

I find it best to keep ENTPs at arms length much of the time.

I tend to think the same about INFJ's usually... at least, I'm yet to meet one in any capacity, either in RL or online (except maybe cascadeco), that I feel I could genuinely enjoy their company enough to say, pick them to join me and other friends on a vacation or something.

It's nothing really against them per se... it's just their silence that gets me.

Then again, I'm sorta only just on the P side of the cusp between ENTP and ENTJ, whatever difference that makes... Give me an ISFJ, ISTP or INFP - they're my favourite introverts :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We can only hope. We thrive on our ideas being scrutinized, this I won't deny. I need this in order improve in any way. That's not what I'd consider a disagreement though. Criticism, doesn't mean you disagree it means you wish to alter something you perceive can be done better. In other words you enjoy the concept you just wish to make it more efficient.

Well, that's something I can work with! :yes:

Sadly though, my first post still applies as to my thoughts on the pairing. :)

proximo

I enjoy winning more. Confidence and such. I'd say we like interesting more than fighting back.

I'd agree with this... I don't want a fight, contrary to popular opinion. I like a lively discussion, heated even. But if the other person is taking things personally, or getting personal towards me, it's just exhausting and not fun at all. I'm talking about ideas and not the people who are expressing them.

I tend not to be terribly attached to most of the ideas I throw out - they're just "things" that have sorta waved themselves under my nose (as it were) so I've grabbed at them and shown them to you and said "hey, how about this?"... this is the basis of a lot of misunderstanding I think, between myself and my INFJ's... Misunderstandings going on all round, I think. Them thinking I really mean what I say when I'm just testing a theory, so it's tedious when they sorta "judge" me by what I said as though it had been a statement of a deeply held personal opinion; me thinking they're just testing a theory when they really mean what they say, so upsetting them by tramping all over their deeply held personal opinion, putting it in a test tube and shaking it all up...

They start to understand that I don't always mean everything I say, so then thinking I'm never serious or committed to anything... me starting to understand that they usually do mean what they say, so then thinking they're rigid and unwilling to discuss or update their views - both misapprehensions that seem so obvious in the cold light of day, but difficult to perceive or to undo the damage once you've started fighting...

So... I've usually ended up wishing I'd never said anything in the first place, and not as a judgement on them, but just a sense of regret over the whole mess, cos I only tend to see what's happened when it's too late to backtrack and put it right, the damage is done and I'm now an asshole in their eyes. And then - the doorslam.

Last edited:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's nothing really against them per se... it's just their silence that gets me.

Enter INTP stage left.

INTP: Hi, INFJ.
INFJ: Hi.
INTP: Do you mind if I'm mostly silent for the rest of the evening?
INFJ: No. I much prefer it.
INTP: :blush:
INFJ: :wubbie:

The End

proximo

Enter INTP stage left.

The End

Totally. I've tended to see INFJ's and INTP's as made for each other... I dunno which type's made for the ENTP!! :laugh:

I can only say my own experience, but that's probably only relevant to ENTP's with similar preference strengths to me...

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I do love me some ENFP. They tend to enable me and allow my ideas to roam free. You still have to worry about Fi, but other than that I enjoy them.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Well, that's something I can work with! :yes:

Sadly though, my first post still applies as to my thoughts on the pairing. :)

Good! Now what can we do about your thoughts on this pairing...?

I'd agree with this... I don't want a fight, contrary to popular opinion. I like a lively discussion, heated even. But if the other person is taking things personally, or getting personal towards me, it's just exhausting and not fun at all. I'm talking about ideas and not the people who are expressing them.

I tend not to be terribly attached to most of the ideas I throw out - they're just "things" that have sorta waved themselves under my (nose as it were) so I've grabbed at them and shown them to you and said "hey, how about this?"... this is the basis of a lot of misunderstanding I think, between myself and my INFJ's... Misunderstandings going on all round, I think. Them thinking I really mean what I say when I'm just testing a theory, so it's tedious when they sorta "judge" me by what I said as though it had been a statement of a deeply held personal opinion; me thinking they're just testing a theory when they really mean what they say, so upsetting them by tramping all over their deeply held personal opinion, putting it in a test tube and shaking it all up...

They start to understand that I don't always mean everything I say, so then thinking I'm never serious or committed to anything... me starting to understand that they usually do mean what they say, so then thinking they're rigid and unwilling to discuss or update their views - both misapprehensions that seem so obvious in the cold light of day, but difficult to perceive or do undo the damage once you've started fighting...

So... I've usually ended up wishing I'd never said anything in the first place, and not as a judgement on them, but just a sense of regret over the whole mess, cos I only tend to see what's happened when it's too late to backtrack and put it right, the damage is done and I'm now an asshole in their eyes. And then - the doorslam.

I often wonder if people know I'm joking when I say some pretty weird things. They seem to take me pretty serious, or when I am serious they completely disregard it.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Enter INTP stage left.

The End

Lol this is me and my INTP boyfriend :D

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good! Now what can we do about your thoughts on this pairing...?

lol! :laugh: We are off to a smashing good start. Let it unfold as it inevitably can and does with us, despite the potentially dire consequences, but quite possible bliss! ;)

:cheers:

proximo

I often wonder if people know I'm joking when I say some pretty weird things. They seem to take me pretty serious, or when I am serious they completely disregard it.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

As for ENFP's... hmm... I seem to get on okay with the male ones as friends, but the female ones so far... fine to start with, but then things tend to go wrong all of a sudden :(

Somehow I don't think it's Fi that's the issue, as I get on great with INFP's... .. only trouble with INFP and me, it's usually a one-way thing.

Perhaps it complicates things that I really like a person to be pretty eccentric (as in very odd, yet happy within themselves and generally positive towards others).

All those things they think make them odd (and therefore less attractive) are usually the things that make me totally adore them. :wub:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm finding one of my INFP friends to be a little too touchy.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

lol! :laugh: We are off to a smashing good start. Let it unfold as it inevitably can and does with us, despite the potentially dire consequences, but quite possible bliss! ;)

:cheers:

Ha! Consequences. I can feel the relationship growing already. :devil:

proximo

Yeah that'll just be them though, not a type thing. Hell, I can be touchy sometimes. Specially when I've got a caffeine withdrawal headache! Run away!!! :laugh:

(edit - could also be you ;))

S

Sniffles

I tend not to be terribly attached to most of the ideas I throw out - they're just "things" that have sorta waved themselves under my (nose as it were) so I've grabbed at them and shown them to you and said "hey, how about this?"... this is the basis of a lot of misunderstanding I think, between myself and my INFJ's... Misunderstandings going on all round, I think. Them thinking I really mean what I say when I'm just testing a theory, so it's tedious when they sorta "judge" me by what I said as though it had been a statement of a deeply held personal opinion; me thinking they're just testing a theory when they really mean what they say, so upsetting them by tramping all over their deeply held personal opinion, putting it in a test tube and shaking it all up...

They start to understand that I don't always mean everything I say, so then thinking I'm never serious or committed to anything... me starting to understand that they usually do mean what they say, so then thinking they're rigid and unwilling to discuss or update their views - both misapprehensions that seem so obvious in the cold light of day, but difficult to perceive or do undo the damage once you've started fighting...

Yes that's a big problem for us often(or me at least). I never know when you're just testing, playing, serious, or making stuff up for the hell of it. And ENTPs I notice often like striking below the belt, even when just playing. That's why I often prefer to keep you guys at a distance or else I'm going to have to keep my eye on you at all time.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Yes that's a big problem for us often(or me at least). I never know when you're just testing, playing, serious, or making stuff up for the hell of it. And ENTPs I notice often like striking below the belt, even when just playing. That's why I often prefer to keep you guys at a distance or else I'm going to have to keep my eye on you at all time.

I wonder, could it be they are trying to use humour to deal with something serious or taboo? When there is an elephant in the room, or undesirable things are happening in someone's life, I believe the best medicine is laughter. Taking something big and daunting and laughing it into something human and solvable.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think we should start walking around with disclaimers on billboards so that before anyone begins a conversation with us they can clearly understand what they're getting into, or just let them find out on themselves. Either one really.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I wonder, could it be they are trying to use humour to deal with something serious or taboo? When there is an elephant in the room, or undesirable things are happening in someone's life, I believe the best medicine is laughter. Taking something big and daunting and laughing it into something human and solvable.

And what better way to make something more human than to berate it?