• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, what are your AD&D Character Alignments?

NTs, what are your AD&D Character Alignments?

• Lawful Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lawful Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lawful Evil

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Neutral Good

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Neutral Evil

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
Neutral Good

Makes sense. I'm not particularly fond of authorities, nor am I hostile to them, and I generally try to be fair in my dealings.

P.S. Chaotic Evil people scare me.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Neutral Evil

or maybe Neutral.

It depends who you ask I guess.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Test says True Neutral, but I think I'm really more Neutral Good.

shmrie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've always been somewhere between True neutral and chaotic neutral, this test gave me chaotic neutral

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Almost always neutral. Sometimes neutral good/evil for mechanical purposes, but I can have a hard time playing these parts.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Chaotic Neutral

A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn’t strive to protect others’ freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. The chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). The common phrase for chaotic neutral is "true chaotic." Remember that the chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom both from society’s restrictions and from a do-gooder’s zeal.
Very true and interesting!

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I used to be Chaotic Good. Guess I'm getting old >.>

Neutral Good

A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. The common phrase for neutral good is "true good." Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias toward or against order.

Shadow Play

The acronym reads as Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, hahaha. Anyway, I'm going to comment both on the absurdity of the D&D alignment system, and also on the absurdity of applying it to real people.

Law vs. Chaos is a pretty silly axis. It's easy to understand in theory: Law implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability, while Chaos implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. In practise, it's a false dichotomy which opens up a floodgate of questions. What if the norms of a particular culture favour freedom and non-conformity? What if a character doesn't recognise an authority as legitimate? What if a character is rebelling against the status quo while adhering to an ethical code? If one oath contradicts another, would a character still be Lawful when they end up compromising or going back on their word? Is a character Lawful if their code advocates deceit, gambling, or thievery? Is an anarchist Chaotic if they believe in social order derived from cooperation between equals? Can a Cleric be Chaotic if they are dutifully fulfilling the mandates of their Chaotic deity, which is in itself Lawful?

If I was a DM, I would do away with Law vs. Chaos, but that's assuming I wouldn't also do away with a morality games mechanic altogether. The D&D alignment system is one of deontological ethics, where a character's alignment would shift up and down the scale depending on their actions, usually without taking into consideration their intentions or the consequences of their actions. So, a character could do lots of good deeds, but do so without altruistic intentions if they only want fame or fortune, which would mean they're not technically a "good person". In contrast, a character could have a change of heart, but unless it reflects in their actions, they would still show up as Evil on the character sheet because of their karma meter. This opens up another can of worms about whether anyone can find redemption, but that's a topic for another thread. From a deontological standpoint, murder would always be an evil act, but from a utilitarian moral standpoint, it would be eviler not to pull the lever and kill one person to save five others (the infamous trolley problem).

If I had a gun pointed at my head and was forced to give myself a D&D alignment, I'd say I'd be Neutral. I generally focus on my own wellbeing and needs, but I'm not exploitative, manipulative, or cruel. I'm a free spirit at heart, but I'm willing to make compromises so I can benefit from living and working in society. Still, identifying as having those qualities doesn't put me in any kind of minority. Considering most people would probably be varying shades of neutral, it makes the whole exercise of applying D&D alignments to the complexity of real people rather pointless.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
No offense but, I've no interest in justifying anything to you, just like your post is also, just your opinion on a subjective debate. Alignment is flavoring for the game nothing more nothing less. If players take it with complexity they'll play the alignments with complexity, if they deem to over simplify it, they'll play it that way too.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I typically get Chaotic good, but am probably neutral good. I have a special place in my heart for lawful neutral though eheh

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
No offense but, I've no interest in justifying anything to you, just like your post is also, just your opinion on a subjective debate. Alignment is flavoring for the game nothing more nothing less. If players take it with complexity they'll play the alignments with complexity, if they deem to over simplify it, they'll play it that way too.

This is what my husband tells me when I ask him what alignment characters from other games or series and we come across conflicting examples " DnD alignment exist to work WITH DandD as a guide on how to play a character IN THE DND SYSTEM!"

According to him, our friends and multiple internet quizzes I am Chatoic Nuatral. ACTUAL Chaotic Neutral: Someone who will help others if they are any of the following: A) someone I care about B) not too inconvenient C) helping them also helps me or hurts people I hate.
I am also someone who hates to follow arbitrary rules or being told what to do.

Chaotic Neutral is not that stupid stereotype of The Joker and "Liek, oMG SOOO RANDOM!1!!! Lol! SPOOOOON!" :doh:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This is what my husband tells me when I ask him what alignment characters from other games or series and we come across conflicting examples " DnD alignment exist to work WITH DandD as a guide on how to play a character IN THE DND SYSTEM!"

According to him, our friends and multiple internet quizzes I am Chatoic Nuatral. ACTUAL Chaotic Neutral: Someone who will help others if they are any of the following: A) someone I care about B) not too inconvenient C) helping them also helps me or hurts people I hate.

Chaotic Neutral is not that stupid stereotype of The Joker and "Liek, oMG SOOO RANDOM!1!!! Lol! SPOOOOON!" :doh:

My group calls that stereotype chaotic stupid.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am more like the axis between neutral good and lawful evil (depending on who you ask). Therefore on average day I am lawful neutral.

Shadow Play

So, why are you a mod?

I never thought that was a meaningful representation of such an alignment, but I agree that it'd be an ineffective way of roleplaying.

Last edited:

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
So, why are you a mod?

Because if I did -and believed everyone else should- do only what they want and how with no regard for it's impact on the community I would be chaotic evil. :thinking: