• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] We Talk About the Good A Lot.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

So let's delve into a known, but relatively avoided area. The Shadow Functions!

They say that this is caused by stress, which is a rather vague 'switch' to flip when you think about this subject, because a great number of things cause distress. What has triggered your shadow functions to emerge?

I'm pretty sure I took the Myer Briggs test during one of these fits. I'm an ENTP at heart, however this brings up another aspect I brought up in other threads that I have created. Is being effective at your shadow functions cancel out the negativity within them, or does it just make you effective when you are under stress?

T

ThatGirl

When I no longer have the ability to create a desirable result as I am going about it.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
I remember reading that if you start acting out your shadow, you become the worst possible variation of your opposite type. I’m farley certain that most healthy INTJ’s aren’t belligerent dickheads who whine about other peoples’ non-punctuality- rather, I think that some other personality is undergoing so much stress that they start acting like lithesome dickhead INTJs.

Now, I’m not sure if you become your total opposite (Like me becoming an ESFP) or if only some of your personality letters change (such as me becoming an ISTP)

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Oh boy, function theory. Trying to explain completely unrelated events with a random unverifiable theory. I've been stressed and acting weird in my life, but 'shadow type' just sounds like something from a bad video game.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I remember reading that if you start acting out your shadow, you become the worst possible variation of your opposite type. I’m farley certain that most healthy INTJ’s aren’t belligerent dickheads who whine about other peoples’ non-punctuality- rather, I think that some other personality is undergoing so much stress that they start acting like lithesome dickhead INTJs.

Now, I’m not sure if you become your total opposite (Like me becoming an ESFP) or if only some of your personality letters change (such as me becoming an ISTP)

If you become your shadow type introversion and judging change but intuition and thinking remain, making you an ENTP.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
The shadow functions are your unused functions. For you, they'd be Ni, Te, Fi, and Se. They aren't points of distress for people. They simply lie dormant. You can use them but you don't feel like yourself when you do.

The function that causes distress through use is your inferior. You may not always understand it because it's very opposite your primary drive in life (Si vs Ne) but it doesn't not feel like "you". It's the switch that flips.

Just thought I'd clarify that.

I've sorted out my Ti and I acknowledge that I don't use my dormant functions, like Si, very well. Previously when using Ti, I would go to a very dark and lonely place. Not anymore but I still find it difficult to find motivation in a life that seems to think I have nothing to offer to the world. I continue on because I want to see what I become :D.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Whenever I've been in a state of what I guess would be considered my 'shadow' I have known it. Looking back, they are clearly defined. During those times, any rational judgement I had went out the window. I became a creature of almost no thought of consequences and entirely about in-the-moment, do-what-feels-good hedonism. I would say they were aweful times (They brought on some very interesting consequences) but some of them were the most memorable of my life.

Did I feel like myself? No. Was that in and of itself stressful? Somewhat. When I look back and go 'what was I thinking??' I realize, I wasn't. At all.

There are some times when it does an INT good to get out of their heads. It makes you appreciate it more when you get back 'home'.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shadow functions are for the weak. :D

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm not really sure when the switch is flipped and I begin to act as my "shadow", if you will, but I am completely aware of it happening. I become so irrational, it's disgusting. But....it's nice to be able to act like that once in a while. Because I have such a moral compass and logical way about viewing everything, when I have a fit as you called it, I completely ignore everything. Most of the times, I act this out on the few people I like and it has horrific consequences as I tend to explode on them for what seems like no apparent reason about past annoyances.
But when I stay away from people (especially when I know I'm about to go into this shadow), I tend to do things over and over again, especially when they feel great. Such as working out, creatively getting out issues (I will not rest until it's complete)...

Long story short, I'm not sure what sends me into this but it can be a bittersweet experience.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Long story short, I'm not sure what sends me into this but it can be a bittersweet experience.

:yes:

For me, its like getting a glimpse of 'how the other half lives'. Its... disturbing and fantastic and scary and exciting all at the same time. Too bad its only stress induced... when I TRY to be all extroverted and sensory absorbed, it doesn't work.