• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP musicians

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be honest I've never given Modest Mouse much of a listen, but I'll have to look into that. Any recommendations (songs, albums) are welcome!

My personal favorite is the album "The Moon and Antarctica." However, if you're a fan of Johnny Marr, you might want to check out "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank." He plays on that album and is a good addition to the band.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Neil Peart from RUSH is the only one I'm confident is INTP. Most of the musicians mentioned in this post I'm confident are NOT INTPs. I'm actively searching for more, starting now. Will report back...

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thomas Dolby and Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo might be INTPs. I suspect some INTP musicians in the electronica genre.

Dolby doesn't appear INTP to me - ENTP seems more likely. I think you're right about Mothersbaugh though. Good call.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Keith Emerson appears INTP to me.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
max cavalera(soulfly/ex sepultura) seems a lot like an INTP, but might be an INTJ or INFJ.

ex guitarist of sonata arctica what ever liimatainen, seemed like an INTP to me, but he might be an ISTP.

i play bass and guitar, but am terrible at learning songs(and hate it) and hate playing chords with guitar that use more than 3 strings. i like to figure out riffs that sound good(at least to me) and improvise stuff to add to them.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a pretty good lyricist and I'm good at learning to play instruments. Played the saxophone all through grade school and high school. I was never good with music theory (never rwaly thaight it and self educaring disn't work) or memorizing tones. I can match them vocally and sing a scale but if I have to recognize a note at random I'm hopeless.

Pretty good at improv humouros lyrics though.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
first part i played(improvised) once slightly differently first, then i improvised the second part as it was and played the first part so that it fit better to second part. after playing it few times i recorded it(playing is bit sloppy at some points cuz didnt practice it pretty much at all):

http://vocaroo.com/i/s05vc66UOy0r

i will probably forget the riffs after a while and figure out new one.

just an illustration about how i like to play and create music. and yea i could had done some more complex things with it and add something besides those two riffs, but i dont care to waste my time polishing it more now

edit. and here is one of the few riffs that i have learned, which arent mine http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kODbRRz1py . and no i cba to learn the rest of the song :p and no im not a metallica fan at all, but this song fucking kicks ass

ps. i havent played guitar much and just recently got an electric guitar

edit. version 2 :p http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Qc8v96dGkG

and version 1.5 http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Xz9aU5UP2A , recorded with audacity(instead straight to vocaroo like others) and also added some effects

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Marty Friedman, formerly of Megadeth - seems quite INTP to me.

J. Stoner

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm an INTP and I consider my self to be a highly musical person. Well... at least in terms of comprehension, theory, and general knowledge. My entire life I've had a natural ability to store and recall an inextinguishable volume of information. Combine that with my keen ear, eclectic taste, and what I can only describe as a metronome that was built into my head, and what you get is some serious musical capacity. Basically, I have a bottomless musical database inside of my brain. I can instinctively hear a song and tell you what the time signature is, or if a single note is a little flat, or if something needs to go here instead of there. And as far as music history or trivia goes... don't even get me started.

But when it comes to actually playing and instrument or creating original compositions, I'm completely inept. I'm extremely un-kinesthetic (if that's even a word). My brain works so fast that my fingers can't keep up. I end up having to pause my thought process to concentrate on what my hands are doing. So that means strings and keys are out of question. With my natural sense of timing and ability to remember patterns, I'd probably be an amazing drummer if my body wasn't so damn uncoordinated. Although I can accurately recite lyrics or hum the notes from virtually any song I've heard a few times, I don't have the slightest idea which notes actually are being played. I know there's DEFGABC, but I have no idea which note is which. I can't read or write music either, but I think that's just because I never bothered trying to learn.

So would I consider myself musically inclined... sure. Am I a musician... definitely not. I'm a gifted writer, but my singing voice is terrible, so being a frontman is probably out of the question too. Such is the curse of my INTPness I suppose. I guess I just wasn't meant to be a rock star. Good thing I have my lucrative Hollywood movie career to fall back on :)