• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Gift-Buying for INTJs - What do they want???!!!

woolgatherer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My dad is an INTJ and Father's day is coming up... my friend said I should just buy him some beer which is probably the best idea. He drinks lots of beer anyways, maybe I'll just get an interesting kind.... he usually buys the cheapest beer that isn't too pale or crappy in his opinion.

Like people say the best idea seems like something they would want or be getting for themselves anyways.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suggest if you wish to buy an INTJ a present they will feel moved by buy them something of strong emotional value. Anything of direct attention to their emotions. They will likely be surprised. Their closeness with you will likely get stronger (if it is emotionally positive).

INTJs may indeed like practical presents, however, it will not help one get closer to an INTJ and rather keep them on the same level. It is a surface gift. It may remain as if you have never given a gift at all and may be the general trend with INTJs.

Within

Permabanned
I made a drawing to my INTJ friend for his birthday, he didn't show it but I know he liked it.

Fecal McAngry

Gift cards are like cash but worse. If you get a gift card at least get a Visa or American Express one.
Naaah. Got the INTJ an In-N-Out card because she's a new stepmom and under the influence of her stepkids she's begun to explore her taste for late-nite burgers, fries, etc.

Trust me, she adored it. It hit her zany female John Cleese INTJ sweet-spot.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the one I knew was happy with a nice bottle of red wine and some cigars :)

That works. As long as it is good red wine and good cigars.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Why is it so hard to buy for intjs......

My dad and boyfriend both are intjs, and it's extremely difficult.

INTJ men, tell me what you would like as a gift. I need ideas.

Do the following:
Ask them to schedule a 2 hour period where you and he can go shopping. Tell him "I want to buy a gift for you, but I'm not sure exactly what you'd like. Do you mind if we went to the store together so that you can pick out something? Keep in mind that my budget is only (X) amount of money for your gift."

If he fails to pick out anything, just give him the amount of cash you were going to spend on him.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A portable ICBM launch pad.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As someone else mentioned, INTJ tastes can be quite specific, so it is imperative to do your homework. Ask someone close to them for hints, or just observe them yourself, preferably over some weeks or months. A good gift choice is a consumable item you know they use: food, beverage, cologne/soap, etc. Sometimes we drop specific hints, either unintentionally or intentionally. Follow these up. Books, music, gadgets, even clothing and artwork are not totally off-limits, but you must get to know us well enough to understand our tastes, and also what we already have. I have, for example, a close relative who continues to buy me clothing in colors and styles she has never, ever seen me wear, while avoiding the few simple colors and styles I almost always wear. Either she is trying to tell me something in a not so subtle way, or is truly dense.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
fuck that, just buy them some superweapon they can use to destroy the world and you've made their day

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I-phones. True story :coffee:

In the long time that I've been dating this guy...I have to say, it's *HARD* to buy them something they like. Now, if you're dating a male one, anything gizmo-techno like is probably going to hit the spot. However, INTJs seem to have a tendency to get a pretty decent job, and are neurotic (ime) about these technological gizmo's, so the chance of you actually buying what they want (and finding out exactly which model is according to them the *best* and most efficient is...yeah), is small.

Male INTJs also respond favorably to gifts from an nfp-not-so-rich- gf that are cute and practical in the bedroom as they love gizmo's in every area it seems and like to experiment (baby Se, yay!).

Lastly, when we first started dating, my INTJ was kinda clueless on clothes. Now, I aint no fashion wonder myself, but he asked for my help (can you believe it?? A guy *asking* a girl to plz help him dress better!). So I did (and felt like his mom, for it :doh:). Either way, I taught him somewhat how to do it himself, though he still sometimes lets his geeky side win and comes home with things that just wanna make me go :doh: :doh: :doh: But overall he does fine. He still however, checks with me on everything he buys (and is very proud if he gets it right), and still likes me to go with (reassurance+efficiency). With that in mind, i bought him a leather jacket a couple of years ago, one that I knew would suit him and one that I knew was a decent quality and something he needed ( a jacket for the winter), and would make him look 'cool'. I wasn't too sure at the time, but he loved it.

The biggest success I've had was with an I-phone. He'd been ranting about that thing for over a year but had refrained from getting it as we were saving up for furniture (how very mature of him ;)). We hit the 10 year spot that year and I figured I'd get him what he'd wanted for so long. I had him rant about the thing repeatedly to know what to do. Even then, I missed something, apparently, the newest version that came out and was only to be told apart from the older version with an 'S' :doh: Nevertheless, his reaction was priceless. I also put on some tunes and some recordings of my voice (he likes me singing), some stories I read to him and stuff, as he travels a lot and misses my ranting apparently :blush:
I also put on some pics of his family and me. Now..I mostly did that for me, as I believe in personalizing a gift. Truth be told, he cared more about the fact that he got to figure out how an Iphone worked and that he got one than the nice romantic touches (no frigging Si to go nostalgic :alttongue:) I included, but he appreciated them as he knows they're my way of making it special. Not his thing though.

For more details on how surprised an INTJ can be:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-blogs/20665-crooked-path-23.html#post872223

I have to admit though..It was I thin kthe first time in 10 years I was able to get him to respond to a gift in this way..it sure aint easy :D

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
871466875_596e011a76.jpg

They seem to like this sort of thing. I'd say a ratio of 2 little purple shovels to one bucket would do the trick. But be sure everything's color coordinated. They're Js.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I would love a gift card to M.A.C. or some nail/beauty salon.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
-money
-power
-slaves of their sexual preference

onelovelylove

MBTI Type
INFP
Practicality is key. My best friend is an INTJ and I listen to her complain about her presents, a lot. I usually let her pick out something while we're out, she doesn't need to be suprised. Practicality overrides it.

Yes, my INTJ bf complains all the time about past gifts he has gotten from family, etc, so it's so nerve-wracking buying something. Granted, it's definitely worth complaining about when you get two calendars the same Christmas and you never use calendars, but still. I ended up getting a wallet for him, since his was falling apart. But I'm wondering if I'm destined to buy boring, practical gifts for him forever.....:huh:

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
INTJ men, tell me what you would like as a gift. I need ideas.

1. Sex, show me your love! Or just lie around with me somewhere where there aren't so many people... at the park, on the beach etc. Material stuff are not really that interesting. And if material, then something practical like a...
2. Swiss knife or a Leatherman
3. Non-fiction book (that covers a field of my interest). Something that I find interesting, but haven't had time to study yet, maybe a textbook.
4. Something that's for both of us and our relationship... like travelling, maybe a roadtrip. Or a photo book of our relationship.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suggest if you wish to buy an INTJ a present they will feel moved by buy them something of strong emotional value. Anything of direct attention to their emotions. They will likely be surprised. Their closeness with you will likely get stronger (if it is emotionally positive).

INTJs may indeed like practical presents, however, it will not help one get closer to an INTJ and rather keep them on the same level. It is a surface gift. It may remain as if you have never given a gift at all and may be the general trend with INTJs.

This is good. What do you think are some examples?