User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Thread: NT Theme song?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    I suppose complex and long stories often become... unromantic. Are you secretly a romantic INTP? Isn't that an oxymoron? I suppose that's where the lower-case "t" comes in
    I don't really know what I am...

I don't think a romantic INTP is an oxymoron. Most INTPs (as far as I know) are 5w4s, which basically means they long for something that doesn't exist (ie. true romance.) No?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    I don't really know what I am...

I don't think a romantic INTP is an oxymoron. Most INTPs (as far as I know) are 5w4s, which basically means they long for something that doesn't exist (ie. true romance.) No?
    Depends on the definition of "romantic". I suppose there is a kind of romanticism to their idealist usage of logic, for example, but the romantic aspect of their personality seems to be in a purely intellectual rather than interpersonal fashion.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Depends on the definition of "romantic". I suppose there is a kind of romanticism to their idealist usage of logic, for example, but the romantic aspect of their personality seems to be in a purely intellectual rather than interpersonal fashion.
    Maybe they don't secretly yearn for it, but the Fe section on most INTP profiles suggests it is simply buried deep under layers of cynicism :3

Actually, now that I think about it, didn't someone just say cynicism is a brand of idealism?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Cynicism is the face of idealism after having been punched repeatedly by reality, thereby becoming a wretched, bloody mask covering what's underneath.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfDiJ78XW8"]...[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Cynicism is the face of idealism after having been punched repeatedly by reality, thereby becoming a wretched, bloody mask covering what's underneath.
    Well, in practice, yes...but in theory,
    Cynicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Well, in practice, yes...but in theory,
    Cynicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Well, yes, but I was referring to this.
    So when you say "cynicism" is a brand of idealism you mean the classic school of philosophy? I'd say they were idealistic in many ways. I wonder if anyone would actually object to that. It's funny how much language is distorted over time.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Well, yes, but I was referring to this.
    So when you say "cynicism" is a brand of idealism you mean the classic school of philosophy? I'd say they were idealistic in many ways. I wonder if anyone would actually object to that. It's funny how much language is distorted over time.
    I don't remember which thread it was in but basically the idea was that pursuit of virtue leads you to realize just how disgusting and immoral humans are.

That is to say, cynics (even contemporary ones) are actually some of the most idealistic people - too idealistic for this world.

ReflecTcelfeR

That is to say, cynics (even contemporary ones) are actually some of the most idealistic people - too idealistic for this world.
    Yeah, the cynic is a cynic because no on can live up to their expectations. They are proven experience after experience that no one can live up to there vision and they then believe no one can. One vicious cycle.

I always thought cynicism was a pure form of optimism for similar reasons to ReflecttcelfeR. A cynic is a cynic because as an idealist he knows and strives for what CAN be, but isn't. And the cynicism is the result: dismay at the gulf between what is and what can be.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari