• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT women list of shit they put up with from men.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
proximo said:
Well exactly. That's what I meant. The way she put it, it was like being in love would automatically not make you find anyone else attractive. Also, I can appreciate a painting, WISH it could grace my dining room wall, but all the while having no intention whatsoever of trying to acquire it.

Yes, I think it's a matter of commitment, not desire. It's possible to desire someone or something without wanting to be involved (and thus committed in some way) to them. You're just acknowledging a natural reaction to them. You can even love someone without being committed to a particular style of relationship with them, and thus find yourself able to be attracted to and willing to commit to others.

I see a distinction between the different ways that attractiveness/sex appeal affects me, dependent on whether I'm in a relationship or not. If I'm not in a relationship, then if I see someone I find very desirable, I do actually want them (usually not enough to try to "get" them though!). If I am in a relationship and I see that same person, I can acknowledge their appeal, but am somehow detached from it, as though it doesn't really apply to me. It's as if the "like" and "want" parts of my brain have become disconnected...?

I can identify with that. That latter part to me is the "commitment" thing. If I'm with someone and I have a desire for someone else AND I find myself having to fight that feeling off all the time to keep from acting on it, it's showing me I'm not really committed to my current partner. If I'm happy and committed to the person I am with, then I can feel attracted to someone else but have no real desire to dump who I'm with to try to engage this other person; the desire is muted or rechanneled or irrelevant somehow. At least, that is what happens with me.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
To say there are no inherent differences between men and women is simply ludicrous.

The other day I was watching So You Think You Can Dance with my boy (which he didn't seem all that into). When a cheerleader with long blond hair and big breasts took the stage. Before she even started dancing my son suddenly looked up at me and said "Mom, I love her." I was like......hm. She hadn't performed she hadn't done anything yet, he just simply saw her. I teased him a little then let it go. During the montage they were showing tid bits of other contestants, and my son points out "Her, I love her!." Only it was a different girl, long blond hair, skinny, pretty face, and big breasts. Than another one came on, and another one. He said the same thing each time.

This got me thinking about the crushes I had as a child. None of them were based on looks. All were based on a character or personality. I liked funny or goofy guys who could do martial arts and take down the bad guys. I also liked, the nerds. Who I thought seemed to express more character than the average guy who mingled with his social circle. Men with talents.

Anyway, I started to have the idea, and it makes sense, that men have an inherently superficial quality about them. Even the guy who is most in love with his partner will be attracted to other women (whether he acts on it or not) while women who really love their partner would probably not be attracted to other men. In this way women are capable of a deeper and less superficial (physical or sensory) connection than men are capable of tapping into.

And this realization explained a LOT of frustration I have had over the years with men, even the most sensitive of them, still could not understand the most basic of dimensional concepts.

Now before you guys go all hissy on me, know that I am talking about men and women, NOT this man or this woman. Naturally there will always be an exception to the rule, though if we discount repeditive patterns for the sake of 100% accuracy we fail to see much of what truely goes on. I am not speaking of the exception here, I am speaking of the general.

Think back to the sorts of "crushes" you had as a child vs your gender.

Anyway beside that point, even if men had enough of an understanding that this dynamic did exist and through their values system tried to step out of the social stereotype, this would only mean they had the male perspective of a female. And, I imagine they would be subjecting themselves to over compensating for the natural dynamic.

Women dont look at other guys when they love the one theyre with? Thats utter nonsense.

proximo

I think being trans gives a person SOME experience (and more than the typical person who spends their whole life "in one gender"), especially in regards to the social influences in play upon a person as well as comprehending hormonal influences... but I'm not quite sure that a transperson truly gets the gender they were assigned at birth. They might look like one, but are they really wired that way? The perception is still distorted.

Just because a person might have lived as a male for many years, for example, doesn't mean that person understood a typical male mindset... and in fact that lack of understanding is what no doubt contributed a lot of angst, since the person was expected to behave as if they did. In fact, the identification with the other gender in terms of identity and alignment, vs the gender assigned at birth, is one primary indicator of the condition. You're trans, Prox, because you DIDN'T identify as a woman but as a man... and thus thought and behaved like one inherently. Anything female you picked up was due to socialization, not necessarily an inherent understanding.

Yeah, all good points. Still, it's about as close as it can get to really understanding life from the other side of the fence, innit.

Being "secondary" though, I actually DID identify as a woman for about 18 to 22 years of my life. I didn't know it was possible to identify as anything but your assigned/genetic gender, so I ran with what I was given. Okay, exactly because I didn't have an inherent understanding, I screwed it up, QED. But, by the same token, the fact I couldn't DO female, doesn't mean I didn't/don't understand it. I feel more like a tennis coach - I fully understand the game and the skills required to be a top player and I can coach someone into a Rafael Nadal. I just can't DO it myself.

In the end, do either of us think truly like either our genetic or reassigned gender? Neither of us have (or ever will) experienced the world as these folks do that get the right body first time round. Our perceptions even of our true gender experiences are coloured by the unique ways that we came into them. We have insight that "normal" folks don't, so it's not really possible that we'll ever see things entirely in the same light as others of our gender. Having embraced that fact, I find it quite a good vantage point that we're given, from which we can "see" the patterns of both sides - both the one we abandoned, and the one we now stand with one foot in, the other probably firmly wedged in the centre.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, all good points. Still, it's about as close as it can get to really understanding life from the other side of the fence, innit.

We both agree it's the "best you can get."

The question was whether it was sufficient enough to count as a "true" understanding.

Being "secondary" though, I actually DID identify as a woman for about 18 to 22 years of my life. I didn't know it was possible to identify as anything but your assigned/genetic gender, so I ran with what I was given. Okay, exactly because I didn't have an inherent understanding, I screwed it up, QED. But, by the same token, the fact I couldn't DO female, doesn't mean I didn't/don't understand it. I feel more like a tennis coach - I fully understand the game and the skills required to be a top player and I can coach someone into a Rafael Nadal. I just can't DO it myself.

We don't actually know that that is true. It's probably the best working assumption you can make, but is it actually true? Even people happy with their birth-assigned gender only know their own experiences, and they only can generalize to make them "gender experiences" by conferring with other people's experiences. There is no way to internally validate what a particular experience is supposed to feel like.

Anyway, your last paragraph... this is why some people see it as a third gender, not one of the two binaries, since the feet are inevitably positioned in a way that someone firmly in male or female camp can't be.

I didn't want to drag the discussion off-topic, I just wanted to qualify what is being said since it's being used to frame the conversation. Yes, being trans gives a wider perspective and helps isolate some points of male/female experience; but it's not totally clear-cut.

proximo

There is no way to internally validate what a particular experience is supposed to feel like.

Right enough. That's why I've spent the last near on ten years externally researching it. No, of course it doesn't give me total knowledge or authority, but as close to it as most people are going to meet! :)

I didn't want to drag the discussion off-topic, I just wanted to qualify what is being said since it's being used to frame the conversation. Yes, being trans gives a wider perspective and helps isolate some points of male/female experience; but it's not totally clear-cut.

Ah right, yew wuz bein pedantik. Okayz :D

*ducks*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah right, yew wuz bein pedantik. Okayz :D
*ducks*

Just bear with your Ji sis, it's what we do.
Stop being so darn pragmatic. ;)

*doesn't throw the rotten melon until Prox relaxes and looks the other way*

This road goes both ways guys.
1) Urine on the toilet seat.

I don't think I ever responded to this. That's a good one.
You can add "floor" as well. My boys also have really bad aim. :sick:

Also, leaving the seat up overnight ... I'm tired of falling in at 3am in the dark.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
This was touched on in the PUA thread. Men do tend to be more visual, but beauty is subjective. Some men are attracted to thin women; some are attracted to heavier women. Looks are not irrelevant to most women either. As far as who is more superficial between men and women, in general, I would say that both are equally superficial in different ways. Women tend to be more materialistic and seek men who can provide them with possessions, and are more concerned about social status and where their men stand in relation to other men; whereas guys are superficial mostly concerning physical beauty.

I agree with this lol

The "Is she hot?" vs. "What does he do for a living?"

proximo

Urine on the toilet seat is NOT the sole area of the male. Nuh-uh. I used to live with a woman who, apparently, because of the way she sat on the toilet, her pee splashed off the bowl and back up to the underside of the seat. So the unsuspecting male who lifted up the seat got her piss all over his hands. It most definitely was her, but she would die before she admitted it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Urine on the toilet seat is NOT the sole area of the male. Nuh-uh. I used to live with a woman who, apparently, because of the way she sat on the toilet, her pee splashed off the bowl and back up to the underside of the seat. So the unsuspecting male who lifted up the seat got her piss all over his hands. It most definitely was her, but she would die before she admitted it.

I didn't say it was. I've just more commonly run across it with guys, but it still happens in the woman's restrooms as well. Quantity seems to be different too... esp if the guy was drinking. :doh:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not deal breakers:
not being open to debate
being controlling
doing the male dominated thing
having to high a tollerance to white noise - ie ignoring conversation
sleeping around
expecting me to be into bloke stuff too much
consitent STUPIDITY!
not taking personal responcibility
too large or too small equipment ;)

those are top of mind

proximo

having to high a tollerance to white noise - ie ignoring conversation

Can't help that one, sorry :blush:

If my brain hadn't taught itself to ignore sounds on the female voice frequency, my head would've exploded by now, as I'm with my 2 daughters 24/7 and they absolutely never shut up! If it's any consolation, it happens with boys' voices too before they've broken - I have to struggle to listen to those, too! :(

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
prox - presumably it's somethign that increases during teen years on boys due to testosteron surges, but hopeuflly calms a bit in adulthood. 24/7 with girls - harsh

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why are so many people in this thread hell-bent on jamming people into boxes based on coarse generalizations, especially in the sense of suggesting that one gender is "better" or "deeper" than another? It's just more nuanced than that.

I think being trans gives a person SOME experience (and more than the typical person who spends their whole life "in one gender"), especially in regards to the social influences in play upon a person as well as comprehending hormonal influences... but I'm not quite sure that a transperson truly gets the gender they were assigned at birth. They might look like one, but are they really wired that way? The perception is still distorted.
Of course. I didn't mean to suggest trans people fully experience the qualia of both genders. Otherwise gender dysphoria wouldn't exist. Just that they are exposed to a wider range of pressures / expectations associated with externally imposed gender roles. That's perhaps why you/proximo are more sensitive to nuance. Most only have an "us and them" framework, and usually everything negative gets attributed to "them".

If I am in a relationship and I see that same person, I can acknowledge their appeal, but am somehow detached from it, as though it doesn't really apply to me. It's as if the "like" and "want" parts of my brain have become disconnected...?
I get this totally. That's a good description. Like the circuit gets broken when someone has already 'flicked your switch'. :)

G

GirlAmerica

so many times, they stay in a really messed up relationship.....mega minus in hotness points!