• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ignoring Physical Pain and/or Hunger

R

ReflecTcelfeR

This isn't so much about the negative effects of ignoring physical, and their some conditions to this question.

I have two questions. The first is directed to Intuitives. When you are concentrating on work and you are hungry, however you don't realize you are, how long does it take you realize that you are hungry when you have stopped concentrating? Do you consciously ignore the hunger, or does your detachment to your senses allow you to subconsciously forget about the pain until your done?

The second. Can S's do this same thing, or are they more inclined to accept the pain until they finish their task? Or would they simply take care of the pain once they notice it?

(I know that these questions are extremely relative, but try to think of it in theoretical terms than actual experiences, though experiences are all we really have.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Why isn't this called "Ignoring Hunger?" Are you asking about being hungry or about feeling pain, because they two don't necessarily go together.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I feel pain, I'm most likely to ignore it.
Hunger's another story, though.
I have trouble staying conscious if I forget to eat (I have trouble telling when I'm hungry, and usually hunger hits when I can't really get to food, but quickly goes away)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
question 1, if I'm truely absorbed, it can take more than 24 hours, and then I eat half a cow or something, I don't go long without coffee or other drinks. I don't deliberately ignore hunger I just don't feel it, my mind it locked onto other things. I don't feel pain nor would I class hunger as pain.

An example, I was knee deep in a Uni project a few years ago and basically worked until 3am (unusal for me, I'm more of a 6am person), I basically worked until I was too tiered to focus on the screen, went to bed, got up and then started until breakfast - at lunchtime the next day.

I wouldn't do it often but it is possible.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I like to eat when I'm hungry. It doesn't take me long to notice and not eating males me grumpy. Going without food takes an act of will.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I like to eat when I'm hungry. It doesn't take me long to notice and not eating males me grumpy. Going without food takes an act of will.

same

sculpting

I can go without food no problem. I will get a bit hungry, then it just sort of goes away. I can tolerate high levels of pain. When in pain, I just focus on the particular pain and then decide to dismiss it. It is still there but in the background.

Our bodies also can acclimate to pain via increasing levels of endorphins so that we can tolerate longer and longer periods of chronic pain and not really understand it as "pain".

What makes natural childbirth so difficult is you go from total absence of pain to very intense pain for 45 seconds, then total absence of pain for 3 minutes in cycles. The pain is intense, but if chronic would be bearable. However the on/off nature of the pain creates a need to escape and a sense of panic due to the inescapable nature of the next contraction. Thus the need to create a feeling a safety/security for moms in labor-humans and animals.

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
When I'm focused on something I usually don't notice hunger. Only when I stop for a break or while walking or driving do I noticed the grumbling sounds. Even then I'm not sure and need to ask myself if I were really hungry or just imagining it. But I usually find out when I finally get a plate of food in front of me and commence shoveling... then I go into food coma. Years ago I used to feel hunger much more acutely than I do now but yes, for me hunger does seem more 'detached.' It's still there, though and it's not like I'm trying to ignore it on purpose. When I'm relaxed and not stressed out or focused on a project I tend to snack more not out of hunger but boredom, lol.

I've noticed that many Sensors seem a lot more aware of their hunger and anticipate their next meal much more than I do. I used to work at a hospital and always heard the nurses around me talk excitedly about lunch hours before it's actually lunch time. My ESFJ mom also plans her next meals with equal enthusiasm.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I notice when im hungry, but hunger doesent bother me much. Not eating even after like 5+ hours after i start to feel hunger is no problem usually.

I tend to ignore physical pain in some degree usually too. For example if hurt my leg and walking is uncomfortable and hurts a bit, i will just walk normally even tho i would feel less pain if i would limp a bit.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's interesting how many intellectual people will treat the separation of body and mind as a good thing (like being so absorbed in your work that you don't notice you are hungry). In reality, it isn't. It means you aren't aware of yourself physically and you are, in all likelihood, hurting your mental processes. Ignoring yourself physically is just as bad as ignoring yourself mentally.

P

Phantonym

When I'm concentrating and keeping my mind distracted, I can go on for quite a while without realizing that it's time to eat, I can completely forget about it. But when I become aware of the hunger, I start feeling sick (lightheaded) after a short while if it's been long enough since eating something, so that's a sure indicator. Oh, I can still go on for a long time, if I manage to distract my mind from it again, and get things done (can't guarantee that the quality of the work is all that great, though :laugh: :doh:).

I can tolerate high levels of pain as well. For me, the trick is not to concentrate on the pain at all, so it doesn't really go away, it sort of subsides but stays at the back of the mind and it doesn't bother me that much.

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
I used to wrestle. So dislocated shoulder (pain) + making weight (hungry) = ignorance of pain, but also AAANNGGGEERR RRRAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

beale.jpg

What was bad for me = bad for you which, = good for me :huh:

Uhh....RRRRARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

F

figsfiggyfigs

I just pierced my elbow really hard with a thick metal hook. it was painful.. I think I cried for 30 minutes because I was more grossed out by the sound it made when it snapped off the hook, than the actual pain it self. I almost threw up from how grossed out I was. the day sucked all together.LOL

I broke my foot once. I didn't even think about the pain. I was laughing at how I landed on my ass down the stairs. it was hilarious. xD

I can usually tolerate high levels of pain.

one time I stapled my thumb and nail with an industrial stapler... it went right through my nail and out the other side. I had to pull it out to continue working becuase I was in a rush to get everything done. I held it down , didnt look, and pulled it out, wrapped it up, put pressure on it, and kept working as fast as possible.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I'm entrenched in a task that I enjoy that's all I'm thinking about. If I have to accomplish something I don't want or have to do because of necessity then it's mind over matter and I can push through it.

I wouldn't say hunger is painful so I suppose I just eat when I'm hungry. Dunno about that part of the question.

F

figsfiggyfigs

sometimes. pain is rather thrilling.

Hunger is totally different; Nothing fucks with me and food!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to just put up with pain, because I don't like to look like a pussy and whine about it... this has ended with actions like running at regionals with a broken metatarsal and working 16 hour shifts on my feet with a broken kneecap... because to complain about it would make me look like a weakling or something :laugh:

hunger is another matter though... I'll whine and whine if I'm hungry... I like food :cheese:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
If I'm entrenched in a task that I enjoy that's all I'm thinking about. If I have to accomplish something I don't want or have to do because of necessity then it's mind over matter and I can push through it.

I wouldn't say hunger is painful so I suppose I just eat when I'm hungry. Dunno about that part of the question.

i agree. :nice:

I tend to just put up with pain, because I don't like to look like a pussy and whine about it... this has ended with actions like running at regionals with a broken metatarsal and working 16 hour shifts on my feet with a broken kneecap... because to complain about it would make me look like a weakling or something :laugh:

haha, it is the same for me. :thumbup:
when i crushed my finger in a machine press i just clocked-out from work and drove myself to the hospital without telling anyone, haha. the hospital amputated the finger.

i hate the attention when you are injured. i love attention a lot of times, but attention for being hurt kills me, it is so annoying and INFURIATING.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am extremely sensitive to both hunger and pain 99% of the time. It is only 1% of the time when I am ultra focused and in the zone that I flip to the exact opposite extreme and I reach this semi-conscious state where I am pretty much in my mind and my senses are hundreds of miles away, but since I am normally so hypersensitive, I will be very weak after this zone if I don't remind myself to eat/take pain meds throughout this state. I used to be able to enter this state about 10% of the time, but have been weakened to about .5% in the past few years. It is all pretty frustrating.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hunger wasn't the best choice I suppose. I just couldn't think of a specific (universal) example of pain that would work, thus the hunger. I mainly was looking for if, even if you noticed the hunger/pain, if your concentration on something was great enough to forget the hunger/pain was there. It wouldn't go away persay, but just vanish until you were relaxed again. Food, is very delicious :yes:.

gromit

likes this

Yeah I get sooooooooooo grumpy when I haven't eaten. Actually that is one of the main reasons I get in bad moods - delay of food/meals. Then everything seems HORRIBLE. I eat an apple or some peanuts or something and then things could still be bad, but I feel like I can at least face them.