• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What does a balance between J and P mean exactly?

P

Phantonym

I never understood why you cant have a disorganized desk and plan ahead for the future at the same time

Ha. Yeah. Exactly. A desk may look like a tornado went through it but since it's all organized by whatever system you used and basically you have no trouble finding anything on it since you planned it that way with every intention of finding things on it in the future. :laugh:

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I dont think this has anything to do with the functions. somebody with a pretty low J score would just be a J that had a generally laid back attitude towards things. Or someone with low P could just be an organized and take charge type of person. Thats really all that online tests test for anyway.

I used to score like >90% J when I was way younger but now score closer to 60% because Ive just become a more relaxed and laid back person.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the theory is that a person's functional order will affect their behavior, which to an extent is true, but could be messed up by the way functions are oriented in the different types (which in a few cases doesn't fit the conceptions Kiersey had of the types). For example, ENFPs are Te-tertiary, and as a result they have a slightly stronger tendency to be organized than ENTPs.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can you tell someone is using Extraverted Thinking? Technically I suppose I should recognize it within me, that being the main part of my cognition, but I can't seem to think in those terms. Is it organizing the outside world?
It's multifaceted, as with all cognitive processes. Te includes the following (off the top of my head):

-Organization, structure
-Delegation
-Effective management of resources and people
-Nitpicking efficiency; ability to spot when an idea, object or principle works, and when it doesn't
-Measuring goals by objective standards
-Timing, keeping time
-Linear thinking
-Contingency awareness and planning
-Reliance on empirical data, use of evidence to present concepts

I'm not too good at the practical side of Te (organization and management), but I am strongly proficient at the analytical side (objective measuring, reliance on empirical data, timing, organized thinking). My posts on this forum are very Te-heavy.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never understood why you cant have a disorganized desk and plan ahead for the future at the same time
How are the two related? They're not even guided by the same function. Planning ahead is Ni (though Te provides support by ironing out the details and keeping an eye out for contingencies), and organization is Te.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Because that would make you both a P and a J. Duh!

And then the universe would implode, just like when you divide by zero.

divide-by-zero-blog-safe.jpg

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Thanks, everyone for your insights. I've pretty much decided on staying with the P's. Organization/Planning and I don't get along very well.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Be careful about that -- if you're messy but your standard mode of operation is to plan ahead, then you're probably an NTJ, J/P is much more about how you think than about how you act.

Do you follow a straight, organized line of reasoning? Do you have a tendency to foresee how things are likely to be, and plan out accordingly? Are you good at organization and delegation? Do you have an intuitive grasp of whether something works or not, and/or how they can work better? If you answer yes to most of these questions, you're probably an NTJ.

Do you like playing with random interconnections and patterns? Do you like tinkering with ideas or objects, taken them apart to see how they work? Did you notice the grammar error on the last question before I pointed it out? If so, you might be an NTP instead.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I suppose I'm J in my thinking, but my need to understand how everything works and my fear of actually applying what I learn makes me lean towards P, but I don't quite understand how a logical pattern of thinking defines you as a J. I feel that just emphasizes a general characteristic of NT, eh, I unno'.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no. NTs are highly similar to each other in that both are logical, pragmatic and theoretical groups, but there is a very distinct way in which NTJs and NTPs work, which is tied to their respective Jungian functions.

NTPs use Extroverted Intuition (Ne), which is a function that plays with multiple possibilities, interconnections and patterns; and Introverted Thinking (Ti), which focuses on the details, specifics and intricacies of an idea, principle, system or object. NTJs on the other hand use Extroverted Thinking (Te), which manages, organizes and nitpicks for efficiency; and Introverted Intuition (Ni), which sees the future (or more concretely what the future most likely holds based on what information you already have) and plans accordingly.

If your principal mode of operation is strategy, foresight and planning then you probably use Te Ni rather Ne Ti, which makes you NTJ rather than NTP, even if you're messy. The difference between the two is significant.

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Do you like playing with random interconnections and patterns? Do you like tinkering with ideas or objects, taken them apart to see how they work? Did you notice the grammar error on the last question before I pointed it out? If so, you might be an NTP instead.

I noticed that error :sadbanana:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But did you notice that "grammar error" is grammatically incorrect? :newwink:

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
A minor error; compound nouns do exist, y'know ;)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should change your username to Webster. :alttongue:

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
No way, then I wouldn't receive all those lovely and creative grill jokes.