• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Hi, need help w/ an ENTP

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hi,

So I have this ENTP who wants to buy a car. But the problem is every time we settle on a specific car, he suddenly changes his mind and argue this other car is better...

What's worse is every time I list the reasons why this car is a good choice, he argues why it's bad and every time I argue why this car is bad, he argues why it's good.

How do I help this ENTP reach a decision?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Show him a new car that's not in the current list of options, and he'll pick that one for sure.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
tell him to let you know when hes made up his mind about what car he wants

EricHanson

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi,

So I have this ENTP who wants to buy a car. But the problem is every time we settle on a specific car, he suddenly changes his mind and argue this other car is better...

What's worse is every time I list the reasons why this car is a good choice, he argues why it's bad and every time I argue why this car is bad, he argues why it's good.

Hahahahahahahha

Love it.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Tell him that he's taking too much of your time and that it would probably be best if he looks for a car elsewhere. It's just not going to be profitable by the time it's all said and done.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Oh I'm not selling him a car lol.

He's a close friend of mine and he asked me to tag along w/ him to look for a new car. But despite all the quality advice I give him, he seems to have his own idea or vision of the car he wants. :)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Maybe he just wants to think he's right. Next time you try to talk him out of one and he keeps giving arguments in favour, just say "ok, you win". Then when your criticisms come true, say "I told you so". Maybe then he'd never argue with you again.:devil:

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
i would say 'let's go for a drive when you've bought something.' this is why i shop on my own - don't want to ruin my relationships with my flip/flopping and overanalysing.

i have a VW golf and i like it. other ENTPs may enjoy. it won the 2009 world car of the year award.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Maybe he just wants to think he's right. Next time you try to talk him out of one and he keeps giving arguments in favour, just say "ok, you win". Then when your criticisms come true, say "I told you so". Maybe then he'd never argue with you again.:devil:

Unlikely, this isn't how ENTP's work really.

Thing is, we argue because we understand things through challanging whot is known. If someone says something good about a car, we'll present a counterpoint to see if they can rationalize it away. If there's a good reason behind why that negative issue isn't a big deal, then they'll likely be pleased with it.

If yeu give me something and say it's good, I'll say it's bad on principle just to see if yeu can PROVE it's good. If yeu can't, then it probably isn't. If yeu can win the debate, then chances are it really is good and worth getting.

To Rainne: he's just trying to understand things in the way he learns fastest - by challenging everything yeu present to him. Yeur only real way to combat this, is to either meet his challenges head on and refute his arguments point for point, explaining either why they aren't that bad, or why yeu feel one issue outweighs the benefits of another. Yeur other option is to bluntly explain whot he's doing and request he try to discuss the matter in another format that would be more comfortable for yeu.

It sounds like he's just trying to understand whot the options he has are, and that's the quickest way for him to learn. It's pretty much classic entp behaviour =3

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi,

1. Tell him the next car he advocates, is the one that is to be chosen.
2. Pick the car YOU want, and convince him that the car is "so not for him", and "totally NOT his style."

Being a contrarian bugger, he'll argue, and by virtue of deal #1, that car is selected. :D

R

ReflecTcelfeR

My arrow doesn't make sense anymore, hahaha. I've never been car shopping so I wouldn't know how to help specifically, but I imagine at some point he'll be forced into making a decision. I don't know the circumstances of why your friend is searching for a car, but you may have to wait for that time.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Ask him: "If you had to buy a car at this very moment, your life depends on it. Which one would it be." And don't take no for an answer if he still refuses to buy that one.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can decide quite quickly, actually... even for big things. My husband and I bought a house after the first visit of the first house; a car after the first visit to the first garage. I can buy myself a new garderobe in +/- two hours. Maybe because I hate clothes shopping... now about books, that's another story.

Probably he just hates to have "options closed" on him. If you buy car 1, that means you can't have car 2, 3, ..., 100 000 at that same moment. As long as you didn't decide, you virtually have all cars at the same time. And we Ns (I guess especially Ne users, the NPs) enjoy "dreaming of a car" almost as much as of "owning a car". Now compare of dreaming of 100 000 cars with owning just one car... and the Te (as long as I don't decide I have *no car*) can't beat the Ti (there is one best car and I'm determined to solve this optimization problem *exactly*).

But how to get an ENTP to decide?

For me, a deadline works wonders. Next Saturday you buy a car. If you haven't chosen by then, you buy car 1. This deadline has to come from someone I respect and/or love. If I don't decide by then, I'm annoying him and I don't want to. Te alone can't beat Ti; but if my Te and my Fe work together...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL @ the situation, sweetie I've long since stopped shopping with people, because it doens't matter what they way, I'll make my own choice. Get yourself a paper or a game boy and just let him smooze around the cars he will eventually bottom his N out.

Lis

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, if there is no strict deadline and I haven't made up my mind, then it will not be made up until I'm good 'n ready. You can't force it. Offer sexual bribes or read a book while you wait.