• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP specialness

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do INTPs feel special?

If so, is it worth noting that some Ti doms participate (pretty heavily) in something that is considered to be strongly linked to Fi?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I find that my specific worldview and some tendencies are in the minority, but that it doesn't automatically give me mental super powers.

So no, not really. Not in the sense I think you're using the word.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kinda thought that INTPs were more likely to be humble than not

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I don't understand the second sentence.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I don't think INTP relate to this word the way you imply.

In fact, in my friend group (mostly NTs), 'special' is a euphemism for something like mentally handicapped.

"My aren't you special this evening." after you show up with your shirt inside out. etc.

Back to the point -
It somewhat depends on the external environment. I think for most of us there is a feeling of being different, but whether that is considered positive or negative (or a little of both) depends on whether our peer group and family makes us feel like outcasts or something more like gifted.

In general our utilitarian ways would probably prefer us towards worldviews in which "everyone is equal" thus using a word like 'special' to describe ourselves would be uncomfortably like implying we are better than others. I don't think INTP have that feeling (at least in a broad context, not "I'm better at math" or something specific), merely because we tend to see ourselves as a mixture of good and bad, adaptive and maladaptive. We definitely don't like everyone else, but I don't think we feel genuinely superior to them such that we would think of ourselves as special compared to the plebeian mob or something.

Perhaps this last paragraph is just me, though.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You want the INTJs.

yes, go find an intj when your looking for someone who thinks hes special(or someone special hilo and his friends style) and look for intp when your looking for someone special.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How does someone know if they are special if it's so commonplace to them? Do you feel special for having opposable thumbs ? or even having finger nails ?

In the mind of an INTP, being INTP isn't special at all. I'm not sure if you can get a group of INTPs to discover that they are special.

It only comes about when there's a comparison, like a different person making an evaluation. Some will say INTPs are special, some will say that INTPs are asses. But it always comes from a a source that is external to the mind of the INTP.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
In fact, in my friend group (mostly NTs), 'special' is a euphemism for something like mentally handicapped.

"My aren't you special this evening." after you show up with your shirt inside out. etc.
likewise LOL

I think for most of us there is a feeling of being different, but whether that is considered positive or negative (or a little of both) depends on whether our peer group and family makes us feel like outcasts or something more like gifted.

In general our utilitarian ways would probably prefer us towards worldviews in which "everyone is equal" thus using a word like 'special' to describe ourselves would be uncomfortably like implying we are better than others. I don't think INTP have that feeling (at least in a broad context, not "I'm better at math" or something specific), merely because we tend to see ourselves as a mixture of good and bad, adaptive and maladaptive. We definitely don't like everyone else, but I don't think we feel genuinely superior to them such that we would think of ourselves as special compared to the plebeian mob or something.

Perhaps this last paragraph is just me, though.

No, it is not just you. I would also add that I have felt other to those around me and sometimes almost a dispassionate observer but definitely not special as in above.

More like I can see the individual talents of others and how often, if they weren't so unsure of themselves, they could shine if they could only see each others values.

I tend to knit the loose ends of teams and projects together - but then again I have a fairly well developed Fi for an INTP - must be age or something :)

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
yes, go find an intj when your looking for someone who thinks hes special(or someone special hilo and his friends style) and look for intp when your looking for someone special.

u mad?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:sadbanana: and people only call me special in the short bus style...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I feel rare in my dealings with people in the real world, but not necessarily special, like I'm a special snowflake.

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Special Ed., maybe, but other than that..

(Sorry, I had to say it before someone else would.)

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I had some secret feelings of superiority and 'specialness' (not in the short-bus sense) when I was younger.

Now I just feel weird and useless.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg"]Yes[/YOUTUBE]