• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Am I the only one...

wolfy

awsm
It doesn't bother me much. I can get why people would do it, some people will use type as leverage in a discussion. People will read things from the type listed, which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Depends on the discussion.

Yeah, in certain subforums certain types have more credibility. Like NFs in Relationships.

But whenever disagreements or debate comes up, NTs might get thought of as being more objective and logical, whether it's true or not.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do NTs get the most positive reception?

Excluding those who stick around to be known for who they are, not just their type...

Way I see it, when a SJ joins people all shout out how good it is to see another SJ on the board and how we need more, then they either go away or are largely ignored/in the background. When a SP joins a number of SPs will make an effort to interact with them. When a NT or NF joins they take a number. A NT is expected to have logical reactions, there's even an element of either suspecting they know what they're talking about or one-upmanship from other NTs, a NF will be expected to have emotional reactions, considered the go-to type for inter-relationship issues but will likely have to prove themselves as knowledgeable in logical areas to be considered as such.

/ my subjective take

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Excluding those who stick around to be known for who they are, not just their type...

Way I see it, when a SJ joins people all shout out how good it is to see another SJ on the board and how we need more, then they either go away or are largely ignored/in the background. When a SP joins a number of SPs will make an effort to interact with them. When a NT or NF joins they take a number. A NT is expected to have logical reactions, there's even an element of either suspecting they know what they're talking about or one-upmanship from other NTs, a NF will be expected to have emotional reactions, considered the go-to type for inter-relationship issues but will likely have to prove themselves as knowledgeable in logical areas to be considered as such.

I sense an S/N divide as well, despite them being mostly cordial to each other. I wonder if it's a natural S/N communication gap though, and not people being superficial based on type.

/ my subjective take

Oh hey, you're NT, no need for the disclaimer.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

/ my subjective take

+1

Yeah pretty much. And since I care a lot about logic it isn't enjoyable to watch. Of course, if you are NT and don't act like a douche your nt ness gets questioned and you are called an NF.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I sense an S/N divide as well, despite them being mostly cordial to each other. I wonder if it's a natural S/N communication gap though, and not people being superficial based on type.

Sure there is, just need to find it in amongst all the bullcrap stereotypes that come from the latest INTP noobs evil interactions with every single person they've oh so "objectively" typed as ESTJ.

Jeffster is someone who highlights the differences a lot, he does it by paying us out for being too theoretical and abstract all the time.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Sure there is, just need to find it in amongst all the bullcrap stereotypes that come from the latest INTP noobs evil interactions with every single person they've oh so "objectively" typed as ESTJ.

Jeffster is someone who highlights the differences a lot, he does it by paying us out for being too theoretical and abstract all the time.

Yeah, those stereotypes are played up. And it's kind of a cheap rallying cry.

If only we could get more than 2 ESTJs on the forum to defend themselves.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Personally I get along fine with most S's, but I tend to get closer to Ns in real life. It's not a definite science though. I don't really judge people based on their type, here or in reality, but I just find it easier when people are explaining their type related psychology and I can't actually tell what their type is to relate it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I did it coz people kept bugging me whatever I put in. And in the end..it doesn't matter. I'm me. I've been here long enough for most people to know who I am, and they can decide themselves what type I am. Though..my sig does provide a clue as to what type I believe myself to be ;)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah it is lame but I am against forcing/requiring folks to put their MBTI type because it would only encourage them to lie about their type. Just assume that all the people who don't list their type are ESTJs or ISTJs...just teasing I love you guys too.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I've been here long enough for most people to know who I am, and they can decide themselves what type I am.

This isn't really possible online. Saying ones type is helpful because it helps to give a framework to all the contradictory and confusing information we all give about ourselves.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This isn't really possible online. Saying ones type is helpful because it helps to give a framework to all the contradictory and confusing information we all give about ourselves.

Funny. Plenty of people seem to think they know me well enough to tell me what type I am when I do display the type I think I am. I'm just making it easier for them to be unbiased ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
people intentionally putting down the wrong type tends to irk me (unless it's April Fools Day, which I spent as an INTJ :newwink:) because people DO judge types occasionally based on how they are represented on the board and it sucks to have someone misrepresent your type :thelook:

An interesting thing on how people perceive the S/N divide though... People who hadn't had a while interacting with me before were more likely to beleive I'm smart when I had N in my type than when I have S as my type... :thinking:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
people intentionally putting down the wrong type tends to irk me (unless it's April Fools Day, which I spent as an INTJ :newwink:) because people DO judge types occasionally based on how they are represented on the board and it sucks to have someone misrepresent your type :thelook:

An interesting thing on how people perceive the S/N divide though... People who hadn't had a while interacting with me before were more likely to beleive I'm smart when I had N in my type than when I have S as my type... :thinking:

There is a surefire way to fight the bias though, if you consistently keep saying smart things "despite" you type, people will be hard pressed to call you dumb.

A friendly piece of advice though, don't worry so much what other think about Ss. And be ok with being considered dumb...I think intelligence is overrated (and I'm not being sarcastic in anyway). Every time this S = dumb think pops up, I do agree that is sometimes bias involved...but then it makes me go deeper and ask "why the fuck is being considered dumb such the insult?" "why is intellegence valued so much over other traits?"...it's something I don't quite get.