• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] So like every genius character is an ENTP?

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Seriously, it seems that whenever there is an intelligent character on TV, they are typed as an ENTP by a good portion of people.

I had a discussion a while ago about the 11th doctors MBTI and I thought he seemed a lot less extroverted than some others. I still do think he is ENTP in this case, but I thought the argument I got against it was a little dodgy. This I also have seen in arguments about characters like House (who I think is INTP/J) and Sherlock Holmes (Who I think is INTJ def) that because he talks through his thought process he must be an E. It doesn't even seem to matter if they are talking slowly to themselves. It automatically makes them an E. I mean I am more social than Holmes and probably also House and I score 100% introverted, so that can't be quite true. Is an I not allowed to discuss ideas with people? I mean seriously, how introverted do you have to be to be typed as an I?

Some people are also claiming that ENTPs are the least extroverted of all extroverts. How can this be? Aren't they supposed to almost entirely independent variables? Obviously all E types can still have different levels of extroversion. And I also don't think the functions necessarily have to be in that order. If a person uses tons and tons of Ne and more than Ti but feels very little need for social interaction with anyone, does this still make them an ENTP?

I'm not saying that no characters are ENTP (the doctor is most commonly) but seriously people.

Ive never ever in my life heaqrd anyone type sherlock holmes as an ENTP or and E anything. House IS an ENTP and if you read the 100+ thread we had on him way back youd understand why.

ENTPs are the most entertaining genuises to write I guess. Its the same reason that theyre are so few IxxJs on sitcoms. Its more fun to watch an extrovert.

capricorn009

Lol, I was wondering the same thing. I typed The Brain as an INTJ and Elphaba
as a seclusive ENTJ. I would have typed her as INTJ, even as a loner teenager,
she ends up hanging out with characters like Glinda, Boq, Fiyero, Averic, those
other guys, and Dr. Dillamond so something about her still drew people to her as
strange as she was considered.

ENTJ

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For the ten thousandth time, House is not an extrovert. If he was a misanthropic extrovert, he would hate everyone else, but feel compelled to be around people all the time, just to annoy them; in other words he'd be a Randall Graves expy. Instead, he spends most of his time lurking around, and only comes out of hiding to bounce ideas about his case (or anything else he might be analyzing at the time) off other people, which INTPs being Ne-aux are prone to do (just not as much as ENTPs). He comes off as Ne-dominant during differential diagnosis, but that's probably because the very nature of brainstorming brings Ne out in full force. Most of his private time (that is, most of the time) he spends doing deductive reasoning and analyzing the intricacies of anything he might be working on -- Ti work. He's an INTP.

One peculiar thing about him though, is that his lower functions are not Si Fe -- They're quite clearly Fi Se. He's rather values-oriented (everybody lies, etc.), stubborn and selfish; and he falls back on his Vicodin addiction (Se) under stress.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've read the blurb on a comic movie titled "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs" (won't watch).
The main character is a genius but a social failure. Makes me think:
You can't have a genius without an obvious flaw. Especially not in fiction.

A genius but... social failure -> INTP
A genius but... overenthousiastic airhead -> ENTP
A genius but... evil -> INTJ / ENTJ

A call to fiction writers: there is an unmined, rich source of inspiration. Where are those evil Feeler geniuses? The social failure Sensors? The dumb ENTJs?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Genius in literature: INTx
Genius in film: ENTx

They read better on screen, that's all. But are second rate geniuses...

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Where are those evil Feeler geniuses?
I think many Batman villains fall into this category...Mr. Freeze seems pretty NF to me... Joker is kind of an enigma but his entire character is based on his moral principles, as messed up as they are.

The social failure Sensors?
Those don't exist IRL, so why should they exist in media?

dumb ENTJs?
Pretty much any evil mastermind who gets his plans foiled by the hero every episode and throws a hissy fit about it could fall into this category. The immediate example that comes to mind is Earl of Flying Rhino Junior High (although it's not a very good show, so I don't recommend watching it to see what I mean.)
For the ten thousandth time, House is not an extrovert. If he was a misanthropic extrovert, he would hate everyone else, but feel compelled to be around people all the time, just to annoy them; in other words he'd be a Randall Graves expy. Instead, he spends most of his time lurking around, and only comes out of hiding to bounce ideas about his case (or anything else he might be analyzing at the time) off other people, which INTPs being Ne-aux are prone to do (just not as much as ENTPs). He comes off as Ne-dominant during differential diagnosis, but that's probably because the very nature of brainstorming brings Ne out in full force. Most of his private time (that is, most of the time) he spends doing deductive reasoning and analyzing the intricacies of anything he might be working on -- Ti work. He's an INTP.
No, he spends most of his private time playing with toys (toys which involve some level of skill mastery, which he discards as soon as he has reached a certain level of competence), pulling pranks on his colleagues, and engineering new and creative ways to get into trouble (buying a motorcycle, faking a brain tumor so he can get high, etc.)

His driving force in life is the social dominance that comes with being an expert - "even though they picked on him, for that moment none of that mattered because he was right."

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Every Genius is an entp, but not every entp is a Genius...

No wait that doesnt work :D

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Alright now this seems weird.

If you're a doctor, but you're mainly a T, then where's the F for helping other people? (Though I guess you can just do it with money.)

Most people, who try to work for money, don't become a doctor. At least I think so...

House is NOT an ENTP. He's obviously an INTP :doh:. Fail. How is House an extrovert? He seems to not take outside influences well...

How is House a 'genius'? What do you regard as 'genius'?

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
House is constantly placing himself into the lives of others. He actively tries to engage others at some level. An INTP wouldn't be constantly entering the personal lives of his co workers and patients as House does. He attracts attention to himself, another extrovert trait.

What supports his introversion?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
house is VERY expressive, and therefore and extravert. Extraversion =/= being social

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are plenty of INTJ's in the real world that excel, but they may not be media chracters because of their quietness??? Which doens't make good viewing

Exactly, the first thing that lures and audience to a show is an expressive character (quirks help here). Introverts do not fulfill this role as well as extraverts.

its the through process that matters I think.... E's share work in progress I's don't - and are not always comfortable with their conclusions. I's also have issues with on the stop thinking, they rather go away with a problem and think a while then communicate.

I have seen this happen so often, and the way that introverts do it scares me. I prefer to exchange information and think collectively... and such introverts want me to stfu so they can think on their own :rolli:

Same for Sheldon Cooper. He's such an IXTJ but I still here ENTP. Yes, he talks to people. Big woop.

I was probably the one that suggested this ENTP, I don't know, I'll have to check the thread again. Think about it. He can't help but spill out his thoughts, it's unbearable for him to hold it back in his head, he doesn't even seem to need alone time, and he's quite expressive.

I've read the blurb on a comic movie titled "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs" (won't watch).
The main character is a genius but a social failure. Makes me think:
You can't have a genius without an obvious flaw. Especially not in fiction.

A genius but... social failure -> INTP
A genius but... overenthousiastic airhead -> ENTP
A genius but... evil -> INTJ / ENTJ

That was a really great movie, and the kid was an ENTP genius. He was a social failure because he was a nerd, making inventions and showing them off all the time. Social failure doesn't mean INTP... lol. It's weird to think that ENTPs can range from abrasive, clever assholes who get what they want to antisocial nerds bursting with ideas and imagination. I'd like to think that other types also do the same. There are only 16 dichotemies, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find such a small collection of differences between people.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
house is VERY expressive, and therefore and extravert. Extraversion =/= being social

Introversion =/= Never saying anything.

If these people you say are extroverts are extroverts, there are VERY few introverts in society. A smart introvert, particularly intuitive, would quite likely wish to share their knowledge. Like I've said I am a defo introvert. I enjoy sharing knowledge with others. When I know something that I can be proud to know, I am often proud for people to know it. It doesn't make me an extrovert.

In Sheldons case, this is a mixture of pride and a misplaced idea that everyone will always benefit from the knowledge he gives. He seems to be an aspie too. He doesn't talk about it because he is extroverted. He does so because he loves the topic.

And why is it always the ENTPs suggesting everyone is ENTP?

11th Doctor: ENTP
House: INTP
Holmes in movie: ENTP
Holmes in books: INTJ
Sheldon Cooper: IXTJ.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's weird to think that ENTPs can range from abrasive, clever assholes who get what they want to antisocial nerds bursting with ideas and imagination. I'd like to think that other types also do the same. There are only 16 dichotemies, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find such a small collection of differences between people.

Yeah, it is a bit weird for someone to think that.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
^But it is true. The phrase "social inept genius" just struck me as "a dork INTP"... but indeed, a "social inept genius" can also be a "bragging show-off ENTP" :)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright now this seems weird.

If you're a doctor, but you're mainly a T, then where's the F for helping other people? (Though I guess you can just do it with money.)

Most people, who try to work for money, don't become a doctor. At least I think so...
Well, a Thinker could very easily become a doctor for the thrill of it, or the mental challenge, or yes, the money. I dunno if you live stateside, but in the US medicine is the highest-paid profession in the nation. On average, surgeons make more than CEOs.

Of course most doctors have to spend half their paycheck in malpractice insurance, but still...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Introversion =/= Never saying anything.

How is expressiveness related to not talking at all? There are people who can talk non stop but never truely express themselves. If you hang out with an extravert for half an hour, you'll probably feel as if you know them straight away. Think about it, even on this forum, there are extraverts who you may have read their 1 sentence posts once or twice, but if they posted with a different name, you'd still recognise them. They certainly aren't common here, as you'd expect. These people are truely open and will feed you their thoughts directly.

Now, you expressing your knowledge is not the same expressing yourself, it's telling people what you know, not who you are. Now tell me, if people were to meet you and talk for just five minutes, would they ever say that you are clever, bubbly, wise, perceptive, humble, arrogant, stupid, nerdy, crazy, optimistic, bright... ect.? They would probably say that you're intelligent, but does that really define you? My point is, you may have to talk with an introvert for hours before you get a real sense for who they are.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah well in that case it is basically definite he is an INTJ. He does tell Watson his conclusions, but not until he has properly made them, and he is certainly very confident about them. He almost never second guesses what he says. When he was trying to find a way to find a missing boat, he locked himself up for hours and wouldn't talk to anyone until he'd worked it out. And yet people (usually ENTPs interestingly) still type him ENTP sometimes.

Same for Sheldon Cooper. He's such an IXTJ but I still here ENTP. Yes, he talks to people. Big woop.

I see Sheldon Cooper as an INTJ being played by an ENTP.