• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The Ultimate NT Discourse

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of you may have heard of it. It's an absolute must-read for any NT, and for anyone who wants to get into the mind of an NT, particularly the ENTJ method.

The Ethics of Belief

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I prefer a more result-oriented ethics. While the essay prescribes a proper course of evidence for responding to evidence, it leaves no provisions for gathering evidence? Does the world so easily dictate its nature that anyone with basic faculties of reason can interpret it correctly? To accept the strongest case is always to reject the weaker ones, suppressing later discoveries as one attempting to explore a weaker case is acting against evidence.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

The only spot where I can possibly infer the gathering of evidence is in the first story where the man "trusts in Providence" to soften his fears, which suggests that you should in fact not do that and examine a situation. I enjoyed the article, but it isn't much more than a diagnosis of the problem, which isn't bad because knowing is the first step to fixing. (Quite honestly I didn't read the whole article, but what I did read was enlightening)

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer a more result-oriented ethics. While the essay prescribes a proper course of evidence for responding to evidence, it leaves no provisions for gathering evidence?

I'd say it was inferred from the scientific method.

The only spot where I can possibly infer the gathering of evidence is in the first story where the man "trusts in Providence" to soften his fears, which suggests that you should in fact not do that and examine a situation. I enjoyed the article, but it isn't much more than a diagnosis of the problem, which isn't bad because knowing is the first step to fixing. (Quite honestly I didn't read the whole article, but what I did read was enlightening)

Yeah, it's not necessary to read the entire thing, because he does tend to waffle and repeat himself as a 19th century writer (although I enjoy his prose so it doesn't really bother me).

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I tend to agree with what the writer says.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I havent read it cause its too long but intuitively I know building an airplane solves all problems always !

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think I would have liked the writer of this essay. This part below is nearly exactly what I believe.

“No simplicity of mind, no obscurity of station, can escape the universal duty of questioning all that we believe.

It is true that this duty is a hard one, and the doubt which comes out of it is often a very bitter thing. It leaves us bare and powerless where we thought that we were safe and strong. To know all about anything is to know how to deal with it under all circumstances. We feel much happier and more secure when we think we know precisely what to do, no matter what happens, then when we have lost our way and do not know where to turn. And if we have supposed ourselves to know all about anything, and to be capable of doing what is fit in regard to it, we naturally do not like to find that we are really ignorant and powerless, that we have to begin again at the beginning, and try to learn what the thing is and how it is to be dealt with--if indeed anything can be learnt about it. It is the sense of power attached to a sense of knowledge that makes men desirous of believing, and afraid of doubting. “

I may need to put this as my signature, it suits me so perfectly.