• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and Exercise Program?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are there any INTJs here who have been successful with an exercise/weight loss/muscle-toning program?

I'm 48. It has to be low impact because of a bad back.
Migraine meds deteriorate my muscles, so I can't strain myself,
but I need to build my strength back up.

How do you psyche yourself up for it?

G

GirlAmerica

darlin...read my lips...............elliptical! (mine works upper and lower body)
It changed my life.

My (blue) jeans have completely changed shape (if you know what I mean). :)
I do it for 20 mins every day that I can...and I LOVE IT!

I spent about $1200 and it is in my bedroom...so, I hop on it first thing in the AM and shower. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worth every freakin penny.

I decided on it because of having had knee surgery when I was in high school, and it bothers me more and more as I get older.

Usehername

On a mission
I vote for a rowing machine.

They work more muscle groups than any other sport. And they are cool. And you can sit while working out :)

Seriously--I have never looked more toned and hawt than when I was really into rowing. Your legs and core will be very surprised. And your arms will get perfectly toned (but not gross and buff). Becuase it's more your other muscle groups than your arms. Your back muscles, core muscles, leg muscles, etc. etc. etc.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
darlin...read my lips...............elliptical! (mine works upper and lower body)
It changed my life.

My (blue) jeans have completely changed shape (if you know what I mean).
I do it for 20 mins every day that I can...and I LOVE IT!

I spent about $1200 and it is in my bedroom...so, I hop on it first thing in the AM and shower. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worth every freakin penny.

I decided on it because of having had knee surgery when I was in high school, and it bothers me more and more as I get older.

Thank you.

Does it help strengthen your stomach muscles?

How long did it take for you to start enjoying it and doing it regularly?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I vote for a rowing machine.

They work more muscle groups than any other sport. And they are cool. And you can sit while working out :)

Seriously--I have never looked more toned and hawt than when I was really into rowing. Your legs and core will be very surprised. And your arms will get perfectly toned (but not gross and buff). Because it's more your other muscle groups than your arms. Your back muscles, core muscles, leg muscles, etc. etc. etc.
That sounds good, too.

G

GirlAmerica

Thank you.

Does it help strengthen your stomach muscles?

How long did it take for you to start enjoying it and doing it regularly?

As sad as this sounds...I have to set it in my mind the night before that no matter what (hell or high water) I am going to do it.
I also have found that doing it to a video (music) channel helps..because if I can last about 5 videos I have my 20 minutes in.

I started about 2 months ago...and thought I would have to call the medics in after 3 minutes on a low level...now I am up to a moderately high level for 20 minutes.
I also have to have certain things to make me comfortable...each and every time.

1. water near by CHECK
2. Carmex on my lips CHECK
3. fan pointed on me on low CHECK

somehow this routine sets the mood........boy, I sound complicated!

Honestly, because I only did what I could comfortably...I never found it really all that bad. I commited to work up and not burn myself out.
So far...it has worked....

You will have to let us know if/what you decide.

Maybe we could do a diet buddies thingy for the new year.
I would love to drop about 10/15lbs.....

It would be fun!

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

It's just a matter of selecting a program and a schedule and going ahead with it. Once you get into a good routine, you can just put your body on auto pilot and daydream. You get to achieve something beneficial to sate your Jness while staring off into space. I like that about it.

Seriously, I know it's pat, but the hardest part's just getting started and developing momentum. Like many things in life, I've found it to be much easier than people make it out to be.

Edit: you should PM Metamorphosis. He's MBTI Central's resident Hans and Franz.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
MY INTJ friend went from an overweight lad to a marathon runner though that's a little high impact probably.

The thing that occurs to me is that wouldn't you be better having something which you need to exercise for? Then exercise is solving the problem rather than being a thing in and of itself.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm training for marathon with an INTJ, and he's extremely slim. His running pace is pretty decent too.

He has some training program he uses combined with a heart rate monitor. So his computer tells after each exercise whether his heart rate was in the correct range for the planned time; each training day is there for a purpose.

He follows the schedule quite religiously. One time it was raining at a rate of 1/4 inch per hour, and a wind of 30feet/s. Temperature of 37F or so. He had a scheduled training session of 4 miles of running at a moderate pace for that day - so I guessed he would want to cancel it when asked. Do'h, no!

So I wore my waterproofs and went for the run. We got our feet wet, tho.. and the almost horizontal rain on my face was also quite uncomfortable.

He seems rather motivated to do his exercise. Shall I ask him how he got himself so motivated? :)

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are there any INTJs here who have been successful with an exercise/weight loss/muscle-toning program?

I'm 48. It has to be low impact because of a bad back.
Migraine meds deteriorate my muscles, so I can't strain myself,
but I need to build my strength back up.

You just do it, to steal an overused quote :)

You lift weights and you eat right if you want to put on muscle. Muscle growth is primarily about a calorie surplus and partitioning, you eat the right foods and you do the right exercise and with some hard work you achieve body recomposition.

Stumptous.com has some good advice for older women - for anyone actually. This was written for older women, however:

Old broads (that's her title, not mine!)

And don't fear the words "muscle" or "gaining muscle". "Muscle tone" is a four letter word. Tone simply means tension a muscle is under while at rest and it's the same thing has 'muscle growth' or <shudder> "sculpting". The myth of 'getting hyoouge' is just that - a myth. Women are from the planet Estrogen. Men are from the planet Testosterone. And older women, well, planet Testosterone is so many light years away it's not even worth discussing. You won't get hyouge. You will get stronger, feel better, and have more energy.

And it's bloody fun to lift heavy things.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
As sad as this sounds...I have to set it in my mind the night before that no matter what (hell or high water) I am going to do it.
I also have found that doing it to a video (music) channel helps..because if I can last about 5 videos I have my 20 minutes in.

I started about 2 months ago...and thought I would have to call the medics in after 3 minutes on a low level...
LOL

now I am up to a moderately high level for 20 minutes.
I also have to have certain things to make me comfortable...each and every time.

1. water near by CHECK
2. Carmex on my lips CHECK
3. fan pointed on me on low CHECK

somehow this routine sets the mood........boy, I sound complicated!

Honestly, because I only did what I could comfortably...I never found it really all that bad. I committed to work up and not burn myself out.
So far...it has worked....

You will have to let us know if/what you decide.

Maybe we could do a diet buddies thingy for the new year.
I would love to drop about 10/15lbs.....

It would be fun!
I think you bring up good points that strikes a chord with me also.

1. You have to "set up" your surroundings first. I am very much the same way when I do things.
  2. I hate to sweat, so I presume that's what the fan is for.
  3. I would definitely need to engage my eyes while I was doing it, so I wouldn't have to "think about" what I was doing.
I haven't removed all the mental obstacles yet to start a program now.
I am still in the information gathering and psyching up stage.
I don't have room right now for an exercise machine, but after I clean out my basement this spring, I probably will.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's just a matter of selecting a program and a schedule and going ahead with it. Once you get into a good routine, you can just put your body on auto pilot and daydream. You get to achieve something beneficial to sate your Jness while staring off into space. I like that about it.

Seriously, I know it's pat, but the hardest part's just getting started and developing momentum. Like many things in life, I've found it to be much easier than people make it out to be.

Edit: you should PM Metamorphosis. He's MBTI Central's resident Hans and Franz.
I have tried other exercise programs but because I didn't see any results after a few weeks of dedication, I gave up because they didn't seem to be working for me.

What works for you?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
MY INTJ friend went from an overweight lad to a marathon runner though that's a little high impact probably.

The thing that occurs to me is that wouldn't you be better having something which you need to exercise for? Then exercise is solving the problem rather than being a thing in and of itself.
Right.
My stomach muscles are too soft and that is beginning to cause a bunch of other problems with my diaphragm, my stomach, my back, and my overall strength.

I need to regain strength in my whole body and concentrate on losing weight in my abdomen and strengthening the muscles there.

My body is shaped in such a way that the abs are really the only major problem area. All the fat goes there.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm training for marathon with an INTJ, and he's extremely slim. His running pace is pretty decent too.

He has some training program he uses combined with a heart rate monitor. So his computer tells after each exercise whether his heart rate was in the correct range for the planned time; each training day is there for a purpose.

He follows the schedule quite religiously. One time it was raining at a rate of 1/4 inch per hour, and a wind of 30feet/s. Temperature of 37F or so. He had a scheduled training session of 4 miles of running at a moderate pace for that day - so I guessed he would want to cancel it when asked. Do'h, no!

So I wore my waterproofs and went for the run. We got our feet wet, tho.. and the almost horizontal rain on my face was also quite uncomfortable.

He seems rather motivated to do his exercise. Shall I ask him how he got himself so motivated? :)
Yes. Thank you.
I presume he will tell you he has a burning desire to accomplish a certain goal.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You just do it, to steal an overused quote :)

You lift weights and you eat right if you want to put on muscle. Muscle growth is primarily about a calorie surplus and partitioning, you eat the right foods and you do the right exercise and with some hard work you achieve body recomposition.

Stumptous.com has some good advice for older women - for anyone actually. This was written for older women, however:

Old broads (that's her title, not mine!)

And don't fear the words "muscle" or "gaining muscle". "Muscle tone" is a four letter word. Tone simply means tension a muscle is under while at rest and it's the same thing has 'muscle growth' or <shudder> "sculpting". The myth of 'getting hyoouge' is just that - a myth. Women are from the planet Estrogen. Men are from the planet Testosterone. And older women, well, planet Testosterone is so many light years away it's not even worth discussing. You won't get hyouge. You will get stronger, feel better, and have more energy.

And it's bloody fun to lift heavy things.
Thanks N!

I'm going to check out that site. I like that it's for "old broads" like me.

To tell you the truth, at this point, I am a little concerned about hurting myself because of the migraine meds.
I pulled a muscle in my little finger the other day and it's going to take 3 months to heal!
But I can't stop taking the meds because when I get a migraine, I can't put myself out of my misery for one second, and all I can think of is how nice it would be to have my head surgically removed. :cry:

I'm not afraid of getting too much muscle. I can use all I can get.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
THIS WOMAN IS 86???!!!

newlin_bber.jpg

I didn't look that good when I was 21!

What an inspiration!

AND she has long nails?!

got this from the Old Broads site

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm going to check out that site. I like that it's for "old broads" like me.

Old broads. When the forum formatted that link to read as it did I nearly chocked on my coffee. Old is as old does.

To tell you the truth, at this point, I am a little concerned about hurting myself because of the migraine meds.
I pulled a muscle in my little finger the other day and it's going to take 3 months to heal!

What meds are you on, exactly?

Slow and steady, goes w/o saying. If the goal is muscle then the amount of effort will be individual - and cumulative. You don't start off lifting more than you can handle, you don't need to. My mom lifts weights, she's got three kinds of arthritis and has had rotator cuff surgery; she lifts what works for her, and it helps. It has made a huge difference in her life.

Talking with a professional, someone who can take into account your medical history and age, would likely be your best bet. The only warning I can think of being, be leery of advice pushing cardio and extreme low fat dieting at you. That way lies madness, and metabolic disaster.

I know 50+ women who lift and whose lives it has changed. Can't say enough good stuff 'bout it.

I need to regain strength in my whole body and concentrate on losing weight in my abdomen and strengthening the muscles there.

My body is shaped in such a way that the abs are really the only major problem area. All the fat goes there.

Sounds like classic 'apple' shape. How're your stress levels? Weight gain around the middle is usually easier to lose because of the type of fat it is (visceral). It's the kind you don't want as well, but it's more responsive to exercise. It's also often the result of stress - life stress, diet stress, lack of sleep, you name it. And while you can't spot reduce (lose weight from one specific area by working that area) when you carry fat in one general area and when it's visceral fat, it tends to go first.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Old broads. When the forum formatted that link to read as it did I nearly chocked on my coffee. Old is as old does.

What meds are you on, exactly?

Slow and steady, goes w/o saying. If the goal is muscle then the amount of effort will be individual - and cumulative. You don't start off lifting more than you can handle, you don't need to. My mom lifts weights, she's got three kinds of arthritis and has had rotator cuff surgery; she lifts what works for her, and it helps. It has made a huge difference in her life.

Talking with a professional, someone who can take into account your medical history and age, would likely be your best bet. The only warning I can think of being, be leery of advice pushing cardio and extreme low fat dieting at you. That way lies madness, and metabolic disaster.

I know 50+ women who lift and whose lives it has changed. Can't say enough good stuff 'bout it.

Sounds like classic 'apple' shape. How're your stress levels? Weight gain around the middle is usually easier to lose because of the type of fat it is (visceral). It's the kind you don't want as well, but it's more responsive to exercise. It's also often the result of stress - life stress, diet stress, lack of sleep, you name it. And while you can't spot reduce (lose weight from one specific area by working that area) when you carry fat in one general area and when it's visceral fat, it tends to go first.
I use Imitrex, Maxalt and Zomig. I rotate them to reduce the muscle damage.

I know weight lifting is really great. I should ask for a membership at the local health club for my birthday next month.

G

GirlAmerica

I think you need to take your time and truly be ready..because if you do it correctly and set your mind to it, it can become a life change.
I love to walk my big ol dog. The problem is he is having hip issues now and since I live about 200 yards away from a river the mosquitos are killer (especially at night/evening) when I would go.
So...this is very much like walking and the impact on the body very low.

the belly does not benefit.......I wish it did.
That would have to be sit ups or other.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I use Imitrex, Maxalt and Zomig. I rotate them to reduce the muscle damage.

Jesus, you poor thing. I've had the odd migraine, ice pick and cluster headache (complete with the aural thing). I feel for you.

I know weight lifting is really great.
It is, definitely. Ultimately, though, the biggest factor for weight loss / gain, is diet. Diet might also affect the migraines, certain foods are triggers in the people I know who suffer regularly from migraines in particular.