• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and Exercise Program?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Jesus, you poor thing. I've had the odd migraine, ice pick and cluster headache (complete with the aural thing). I feel for you.

It is, definitely. Ultimately, though, the biggest factor for weight loss / gain, is diet. Diet might also affect the migraines, certain foods are triggers in the people I know who suffer regularly from migraines in particular.
Mine are "Menstrual Related Migraines". Usually they come along with PMS. :shock:

I've been told there's a chance they might go away with menopause.
That's my hope at this point.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Mine are "Menstrual Related Migraines". Usually they come along with PMS.

Understood. I imagine the cause has been thoroughly investigated but on the off chance it hasn't, have your sex hormones been evaluated? (LH, FSH, prolactin, Estrogen, Progesteron, DHEA?) I know more about menopause migraines, but I imagine PMS would have similar triggers.

I suffered horrible PMS w/ anovulatory cycles (hypothalamic amenorrhea) because of whacked out hormones. I can't put into words the difference in my life correcting this has made.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Is it the Classic Migraine you are encountering?
I don't know what a Classic Migraine is. It's the MRM.
Which my doctor never told me, and I only found out by doing research online that it even had a name.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Understood. I imagine the cause has been thoroughly investigated but on the off chance it hasn't, have your sex hormones been evaluated? (LH, FSH, prolactin, Estrogen, Progesteron, DHEA?) I know more about menopause migraines, but I imagine PMS would have similar triggers.

I don't remember.

What good would that do?

I don't really have that much faith in doctors. There's a reason why they call it practicing medicine. ;)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are there any INTJs here who have been successful with an exercise/weight loss/muscle-toning program?

I'm 48. It has to be low impact because of a bad back.
Migraine meds deteriorate my muscles, so I can't strain myself,
but I need to build my strength back up.

How do you psyche yourself up for it?

Natrushka covered it pretty well. Diet is key and don't be afraid to gain muscle. Also, when you're doing cardio (which you should be :D ), make sure that you don't over do it. It is possible to not eat enough, especially when you are doing a lot of cardio. Keep it at 5-6 smaller meals a day and make sure you're getting enough protein. I would definitely recommend rowing or elliptical machines (I think both have been mentioned already) since they're relatively low impact.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
What good would that do?

The migraines are a symptom, not the actual disease. At least this is the case with most hormone related migraines. For example, with menopause migraines the problem is too little estrogen in the brain, too much in the body - fix the imbalance, fix the migraine. This is also the most common cause of night sweats. In my case it was high prolactin, messing everything else up.

I don't really have that much faith in doctors. There's a reason why they call it practicing medicine.

I hear you. I went through four GPs and one endocrinologist before I did my own research and found a doctor who specializes in hard to treat cases in Florida (I live in Canada, btw). If you'd like to pursue finding a good doctor, I have some resources. There are people out there who're going through / have gone through this - and there is help - it's just really a pisser you have to go to such extremes to find good help.

N

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Right.
My stomach muscles are too soft and that is beginning to cause a bunch of other problems with my diaphragm, my stomach, my back, and my overall strength.

I need to regain strength in my whole body and concentrate on losing weight in my abdomen and strengthening the muscles there.

My body is shaped in such a way that the abs are really the only major problem area. All the fat goes there.
How's about using a bicycle to get from A2B?

It's logical if the journey suits it. You can be morally superior, save money and get fit :) That way you're not "exercising" per se, you're getting around without polluting the planet, spending out of fuel etc etc.

I'm not sure but perhaps those European kinda lie down bikes would target your stomach muscles better? I'm no fitness guru but I reckon that should suit an NT better than the whole "I must do 20 of these a day....apparently".

G

GirlAmerica

I have suffered classic migraines from the time I was three. They thought I had a brain tumor when they started because of the vomiting etc....however though testing found out it was migraines. Hormones and stress are both triggers for me.

Mine generally is the front left side of my head over my temple and eye. I am nauseated, light sensitive, sound sensitive.

It lasts about 24 hours..

For years there was no real relief, and I tried many things (medications/herbs/vitamins/avoidance)..
Imitrex is indeed a life saver.

However, one thing I learned after going to a brilliant neurologist.......that a study done on migraine sufferers post mortem is a lack of magnesium. Also he said the B vitamins are vitally important.

I figured I would try it.....and I have nearly eliminated my migraines...(with the exception of post menstral).

I have cut my Imitrex usage down to one to two pills a month.

I dont know if this will work for everyone.......however, it did work for me.

*btw, the testing he did on me showed that I do have extremely high activity in my left temperal lobe. He said that it is common, and is the same in epileptic activity in the same part of the brain....it comes out in either a migraine or epilepsy in families.

Apollonian

MBTI Type
INTJ
As far as psyching up for exercise, I have found audiobooks to be quite helpful. It helps the time pass while I'm exercising and keeps my ever so dominant mind engaged.

If you go to the following website that have a whole bunch of public-domain free audiobooks (read by amateurs but still good).

LibriVox

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have suffered classic migraines from the time I was three. They thought I had a brain tumor when they started because of the vomiting etc....however though testing found out it was migraines. Hormones and stress are both triggers for me.

Mine generally is the front left side of my head over my temple and eye. I am nauseated, light sensitive, sound sensitive.

It lasts about 24 hours..

For years there was no real relief, and I tried many things (medications/herbs/vitamins/avoidance)..
Imitrex is indeed a life saver.

However, one thing I learned after going to a brilliant neurologist.......that a study done on migraine sufferers post mortem is a lack of magnesium. Also he said the B vitamins are vitally important.

I figured I would try it.....and I have nearly eliminated my migraines...(with the exception of post menstral).

I have cut my Imitrex usage down to one to two pills a month.

I dont know if this will work for everyone.......however, it did work for me.

*btw, the testing he did on me showed that I do have extremely high activity in my left temperal lobe. He said that it is common, and is the same in epileptic activity in the same part of the brain....it comes out in either a migraine or epilepsy in families.
I will try increasing my magnesium.

My migraines last for 3 to 4 days. The migraine med will last about 18-24 hours, then I have to take another dose.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
As far as psyching up for exercise, I have found audiobooks to be quite helpful. It helps the time pass while I'm exercising and keeps my ever so dominant mind engaged.

If you go to the following website that have a whole bunch of public-domain free audiobooks (read by amateurs but still good).

LibriVox
Thanks. That's a good idea.
I'm a audio/visual learner, so I think that's why I enjoy video so much, too.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How's about using a bicycle to get from A2B?

It's logical if the journey suits it. You can be morally superior, save money and get fit :) That way you're not "exercising" per se, you're getting around without polluting the planet, spending out of fuel etc etc.

I'm not sure but perhaps those European kinda lie down bikes would target your stomach muscles better? I'm no fitness guru but I reckon that should suit an NT better than the whole "I must do 20 of these a day....apparently".
You're right about needing to be goal oriented.
I used to ride my bike everywhere when I was a kid, but I don't think it works on the abs much at all.
Not only that, but I live in the Northeast where my biggest goal in life is to not freeze to death.

I have seen "pwn" several times now. Do I dare ask what it stands for? If it's vulgar, don't tell me.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The migraines are a symptom, not the actual disease. At least this is the case with most hormone related migraines. For example, with menopause migraines the problem is too little estrogen in the brain, too much in the body - fix the imbalance, fix the migraine. This is also the most common cause of night sweats. In my case it was high prolactin, messing everything else up.
...N
I don't trust medicine to mess with my hormones.
It never fails that 20 years later, they say, "Oops. It causes cancer."

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You're right about needing to be goal oriented.
I used to ride my bike everywhere when I was a kid, but I don't think it works on the abs much at all.
Not only that, but I live in the Northeast where my biggest goal in life is to not freeze to death.

I have seen "pwn" several times now. Do I dare ask what it stands for? If it's vulgar, don't tell me.
I'm surprised at you. I wouldn't put something vulgar up on a sig.
:) It's a spelling error for own made popular by the first person shooter crowd.

As for keeping warm, would I be counted as being facetious if I said wear a coat?
:D

How cold is cold? Are we talking arctic or just nippy?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't trust medicine to mess with my hormones.
It never fails that 20 years later, they say, "Oops. It causes cancer."
I believe that fresh air is next on that ever increasing list ;)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm surprised at you. I wouldn't put something vulgar up on a sig.
Sorry, Luv. I haven't seen it in your sig. I have seen several people use it in posts.
:) It's a spelling error for own made popular by the first person shooter crowd.
Like when my kids declare, "Owned." ? Okay, I don't care for slang, but that's just ridiculous.

As for keeping warm, would I be counted as being facetious if I said wear a coat?
:D

How cold is cold? Are we talking arctic or just nippy?
Well, we're having a heat wave right now... it's 25 degrees. But it's been in the single digits for several days and the salt won't melt the ice in the roads.

typo

MBTI Type
INTJ
As far as the psyche part, I had trouble working out regularly before I discovered how interesting podcasts can be. Audible.com is a great source for commercial podcasts (from major magazines, news sources, or audio books). --Charlie Rose and Scientific American are among my favorites here. Of course, there are several free podcasts to choose from, too, and NPR has a nice selection. In fact, Scientific American also has a great free podcast called "Science Talk."

Once I had found a few programs that I enjoyed, working out became much easier--still inconvenient at times--but much easier. As much I love the way I feel after a workout, I try to view the podcasts as my main motivation and the workout as something that happens to me along the way.

--That's just the psyche part. I'm not enough of a fitness guru to recommend exercises.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
As far as the psyche part, I had trouble working out regularly before I discovered how interesting podcasts can be. Audible.com is a great source for commercial podcasts (from major magazines, news sources, or audio books). --Charlie Rose and Scientific American are among my favorites here. Of course, there are several free podcasts to choose from, too, and NPR has a nice selection. In fact, Scientific American also has a great free podcast called "Science Talk."

Once I had found a few programs that I enjoyed, working out became much easier--still inconvenient at times--but much easier. As much I love the way I feel after a workout, I try to view the podcasts as my main motivation and the workout as something that happens to me along the way.

--That's just the psyche part. I'm not enough of a fitness guru to recommend exercises.
Thank you. I agree that listening to something to stimulate my mind is definitely helpful in taking my mind off the mundane physical movements required.