• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are all NTs good at math?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another question: What are Calculus and Trigonometry for?
Fun!

I'd like to think that most NT's are at least not afraid of math. Whatever their skill level, they will tackle a math-related problem as best they can, without being intimidated by it. I have no evidence for this, though; it may just be my wishful thinking.

Unique

Hate math

Did advanced English back in school though and always has a way with words/creative writing

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
I want to say no, but the only NT I know is my best friend and myself. I'm good at math in the sense that I despise it, but have few problems learning it. My best friend is also rather talented at it.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Fun!

I'd like to think that most NT's are at least not afraid of math. Whatever their skill level, they will tackle a math-related problem as best they can, without being intimidated by it. I have no evidence for this, though; it may just be my wishful thinking.

Okay on the serious note. I acutally really love trig....and calc... O_O...

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Aptitude tests throughout grade school placed me within the top 95-99th percentiles in mathematical concepts but I usually languished in the 70-80th percentiles in mathematical computation. I failed calculus; I still enjoy algebra.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm pretty good at math. I could probably get a high B or maybe even A if I really tried, but I don't, because I hate it, and I find it incredibly dull and monotonous.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Would that be a nice career though? You'd certainly get a great wage, and many job offers, but the jobs might kill you with numbers, if you know what I mean.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should be an engineer. However for most careers people will be better off having studied both Composition and Calculus. Both subjects are so useful, that I would recommend anyone take them if they have any interest in the subject at all. (Well Composition is usually required, but it's the most useful of the required courses.)

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Are all NTs good at math?
Rid me of the stereotype.

At Ts = ?, where Ts is time of snap shot.

When I was in 5th grade I was a month or more behind on my math homework.
In high school I failed Algebra the first time I took it, was well on my way to failing geometry then managed to pass the NYS regents exam at the last possible chance to pull my fat out of the fire, then went on to fail trigonometry the following year.

All that was before I took the ASVAB test as part of enlisting in the Navy.
The ASVAB managed to `out' me as having math aptitude good enough to qualify for Nuclear power and advanced electronics.

While in the Navy I did some self study with a few math books and a scientific calculator to get over the trauma of math in high school.
When I got out of the navy and enrolled at a local community college I had to take a math placement test. I tested out of 2 out 3 of the math courses for the major I had selected, and got a pretty easy A in the course I did take.
I went on to take calculus, discrete math, and use math professionally while doing computer programming.

So ... yes I've been/seemed both bad and good `at math' depending on which math and at which instant in time.

Another question: What are Calculus and Trigonometry for?

For a while.
The courses and rites-of-passage end eventually. ;-)

Calculus and Trigonometry are for non-NFs and people who quantify.
As NFs seem only concerned with `polarity' -- EG `positive and `negative', as applied to emotions, feelings, attitudes, and/or the AFFECTS on others -- and quality it would seem that any field of study dealing with abstractions other than Feeling/emotion or quantification of intensity, magnitude, or value might be pretty much lost on them. :hi:

So, from your vantage point, they are tools for use by those you use as tools to perform tasks facilitated by logical and/or mathematical thinking.
The folks who design most of your technological toys and tools had to use mathematical relationships to get things to work right for YOU.

Historically speaking, trigonometry was something folks started doing when they wanted to measure trigons -- think a polyGON with 3 sides -- which represented things of interest in Sensate world, like lengths of property lines when trying to restore property lines after a spring flood.

A Calculus is a stone.
If you put stones in a sack they can have a one-to-one correspondence between things of value, like sheep or wives. :huh:
If you put holes in the stones you can bead them together to form an abacus, so you don't get your fingers slapped by some SJ pedant for counting on your fingers.

Okay ... calculus is handy for reasoning about `things' which change over the course of time.

Had the Mother and daughter team which created the MBTI known about `the calculus' they may have accounted for instantaneous preferences rather than free-floating, average, or nominal preferences.
I prefer to write no more at this instant.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Calculus and Trigonometry are for non-NFs and people who quantify.
As NFs seem only concerned with `polarity' -- EG `positive and `negative', as applied to emotions, feelings, attitudes, and/or the AFFECTS on others -- and quality it would seem that any field of study dealing with abstractions other than Feeling/emotion or quantification of intensity, magnitude, or value might be pretty much lost on them. :hi:

I hope I read this wrong.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I figured trigonometry involved a lot of triangles, because tri-: three & gon-: angle. Wasn't sure though.

How does music theory use trigonometry, besides the way the sound vibrates and travels? Is it useful for figuring out key signatures, scales and modes, and types of harmonies?

.....can you write songs using equations? :nerd:

My mind has just been blown.

It's not nearly as complicated as that! There's a direct relationship between sine curves in trigonometry and the sound waves that make up individual musical notes. Trigonometry contributed to the fact that we conventionally use 12 intervals in an octave (at least in most traditional western music!).

It might seem really simple and "brainless" when we look at it on hindsight, but when you think about the idea of notating music WITHOUT the individual notes, it's pretty incredible. We wouldn't be able to derive key signatures, scales, modes and harmonies if we couldn't agree on simple intervals, after all. :)

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I prefer to write no more at this instant.

I'm smarter than I look, cutiepie. :cheese: Don't let all the huggles and wubbles fool you.

I think this thread needs to be a poll. It'll take into account type, whether a person considers him/herself good at math, and whether said person enjoys doing math.

How do I make a poll? (Man I'm just n00bing it up left and right here! :blushing:)

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I hope I read this wrong.

Wrong towards what ends?
If you test as an ENFP you're in it for the drama anyway, right?
Enjoy the ride. :devil:

When's the last time you used math ... for calculating the force of intercourse?
You know ... the one involving the heat of the meat, the angle of the dangle, the square of the hair, the mass of the ass ... all that important `stuff'.

Do you measure angles in degrees or radians?
And whats the difference between inclination and declination, anyway?

Warm fuzzies to all the NF math-challenged types.
I hope I didn't' come off as too `negative'.
I'd really like to make a `positive difference' without having to pay attention to magnitudes.
Can you just show me a `sign'?:yes:

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Warm fuzzies to NF math tutors too! We do exist! :holy:
Next thread: Do all NFs suck at math?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Wrong towards what ends?
If you test as an ENFP you're in it for the drama anyway, right?
Enjoy the ride. :devil:

When's the last time you used math ... for calculating the force of intercourse?
You know ... the one involving the heat of the meat, the angle of the dangle, the square of the hair, the mass of the ass ... all that important `stuff'.

Do you measure angles in degrees or radians?
And whats the difference between inclination and declination, anyway?

Warm fuzzies to all the NF math-challenged types.
I hope I didn't' come off as too `negative'.
I'd really like to make a `positive difference' without having to pay attention to magnitudes.
Can you just show me a `sign'?:yes:

Is this aleksi2 or just a plain troll?

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
trolling/fishing for ENFP drama queens

Is this aleksi2 or just a plain troll?

Not an alias for anyone else.
Though apparently I reeled in an ENFP :hi:

I just love having some fun with those who use polarity-without-magnitude language.
They ARE simply just sooooo positive

Yes, I'm aware that there are quite a few NFs who can and do do math better than I.
Just as there are some NFs and NTs who suck at math.
I have an INTP friend who is still traumatized by his experiences with math in high school.
He's more musically-inclined that mathematical ... not that one can't be good at both.

As for `trolling' ...
Just tweaking you a bit.
I know how much ENFPs love drama. :D

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Warm fuzzies to NF math tutors too! We do exist! :holy:
Next thread: Do all NFs suck at math?

So if you asked about Trigonometry and Calculus are we left to guess the type of math you tutor?
Some kind where they get to keep their shoes on because there is no need to count to 20?

Counting ain't math, ya know.

You tutoring 4-function calculator math?

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
So if you asked about Trigonometry and Calculus are we left to guess the type of math you tutor?
Some kind where they get to keep their shoes on because there is no need to count to 20?

Counting ain't math, ya know.

You tutoring 4-function calculator math?

The OP asked about the uses of calculus and trig - from that you can't make the assumption that she doesn't understand them herself. It's possible she was just curious what others think they are used for. It doesn't really say anything about her own personal knowledge of math and certainly says nothing about what she does or does not tutor. Why so hostile?

gps

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The OP asked about the uses of calculus and trig - from that you can't make the assumption that she doesn't understand them herself. It's possible she was just curious what others think they are used for. It doesn't really say anything about her own personal knowledge of math and certainly says nothing about what she does or does not tutor. Why so hostile?

Why?
I'm hostile commensurate with the magnitude or degree to which you apperceive that theme.

I'm teasing.
Of course it's possible that the OP has a mastery of both Trig and Calculus.
And she could be fishing for applications and/or uses of both.
But it kinda takes the fun out of teasing to let somebody KNOW you're only teasing ... doesn't it?

Why so hostile about my would-be hostility?
Can you use calculus to integrate the area under my apparent-hostility curve?
Does me teasing seem `positive' or `negative' -- sans magnitude irrespective of baseline or target goal?