• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Hobbies.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Soooo... I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have all of these ideas, but I don't feel like applying them. My only big interest is in Biology and Chemistry, but unless I just have fun researching the topics, which does sound fun, I don't know of a hobby (just to pass the time) that really goes hand in hand without actually becoming a scientist. I'm only 19 and just started college so that's a ways away. I guess what I'm asking is if any of you know of a 'hobby' or something close to what ever the description of a hobby is to Biology and/or Chemistry?

I could look it up, but as I speak right now I feel more indifference than anything.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why can't you do biology and/or chemistry as a hobby?

I know it sounds strange. That's because most people hate science (or at least, don't enjoy it). So it isn't very hobby-like. You'll have some problems explaining that you do it because you like it to some people, but other than that it's perfectly okay to take something that sounds like work as a hobby.

Take this advice from an amateur writer. To most people, writing can only be rewarding if you earn money from it. But then I compare to musicians and footballers. Only a few musicians earn money, but lots of people play an instrument. I find writing rewarding in itself and if a book gets published, it's just added bonus.
The same can be true for science.

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Things you could do:

Start a blog with simple household chemistry experiments to get kids engaged on this topic
Cook crystal meth with your knowledge to make a killing (pun intended) or watch Breaking Bad instead
Start a local science club
Make things that go BOOOOM
Make up 99 ways to get rid of a problem using biology/chemistry
Write a short story using chemical elements as protagonists
Make a rap song on a biological topic

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Soooo... I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have all of these ideas, but I don't feel like applying them. My only big interest is in Biology and Chemistry, but unless I just have fun researching the topics, which does sound fun, I don't know of a hobby (just to pass the time) that really goes hand in hand without actually becoming a scientist. I'm only 19 and just started college so that's a ways away. I guess what I'm asking is if any of you know of a 'hobby' or something close to what ever the description of a hobby is to Biology and/or Chemistry?

I could look it up, but as I speak right now I feel more indifference than anything.

Well since you're in university you can access biology and chemistry journals online to do all of the reading up on them that you want. You can also probably audit biology and chemistry classes instead of taking them for a grade without paying extra tuition if you attend over full time. Once you've taken a few biology or chemistry classes either as an audit or for a grade you can probably get involved with undergraduate research in either field so you could do them as a hobby in that sense and learn a lot about each without actually getting any college credit for either.

Another option is to take up a hobbies that are loosely related to biology and chemistry like:

some hobbies loosely related to biology
- becoming a certified diver and doing marine exploration
- wildlife photography
- collecting different species of plants etc

some hobbies loosely related to chemistry
- photography (if you develop your own photos)
- cooking (if you experiment "scientifically" with ingredients based on their chemical makeup)
- fireworks
- you can buy one of those home chemistry sets and make things like rockcandy etc.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Forensic sciences! Become a private sleuth and solve mysterious cases and stuff. I only wish there were a bigger market for them.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

CSI-it-up, you say? Then I can start taking the law into my own hands!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hmmmmm, I have a question for you then. Do you think Sherlock is more S or N?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ. I even just had a look at the Ne vs Ni thread and decided he must be. He notices things with his Se, but he pulls them a part and analyses the possible reasons as to why they're there using Ni. The leaps he makes with deductions such as those about Watsons hand-down fobwatch are way too abstract to be an S observation (alcoholic, went through periods of money wasting despite starting off wealthy etc). And he's definitely a J. Dedicated to his job, does not get distracted, likes to fit everything together neatly. Also Se for noticing things in his environment, rather than Si for trying to keep consistency.

Well that was a bit of a messy analysis but there you go.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ. I even just had a look at the Ne vs Ni thread and decided he must be. He notices things with his Se, but he pulls them a part and analyses the possible reasons as to why they're there using Ni. The leaps he makes with deductions such as those about Watsons hand-down fobwatch are way too abstract to be an S observation (alcoholic, went through periods of money wasting despite starting off wealthy etc). And he's definitely a J. Dedicated to his job, does not get distracted, likes to fit everything together neatly. Also Se for noticing things in his environment, rather than Si for trying to keep consistency.

Well that was a bit of a messy analysis but there you go.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Thank you. I had been wondering for a while. I'm trying to get better at typing people and he was a difficult one to thumb down.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
If I think about it, I think Ni would be better for detectives in general (though not by that much), because it focuses on possibile causes rather than possible outcomes. An Ne would still get it but they might have to think about it longer because they would start at a cause and work towards the outcome to see if it matches, rather than starting at the outcome and thinking of likely causes.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

It is most definitly a multi-faceted job. Of course having all of your functions be well developed probably helps for just about everything, but having both a strong intuitive and sensing ability is by far one of the most helpful in just about every area in life, of course this isn't to say that these functions could stand alone just perhaps they deserve more of a priority.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess what I'm asking is if any of you know of a 'hobby' or something close to what ever the description of a hobby is to Biology and/or Chemistry?
Another alternative is to become involved in environmental activities: recycling, water quality monitoring, etc. These often involve both biology and chemistry, and are also useful and much needed. You could pick a specific project or area on your own, join an existing volunteer group, or form one.