• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Typically, villain = J, hero = P?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
The villain plots and the hero jumps in and wrecks the plot.

Yes? No? Go!

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
No, it's the opposite. Everything is good, good, good and under control, then the P villain jumps in, mess everything up, makes fun out of it, J hero is having panic attacks and then (s)he finally comes up with a brilliant plan how to deactivate the P villain.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think P is usually the hero in movies and villain is J because hero always wins :D

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
i think P is usually the hero in movies and villain is J because hero always wins :D

That's a good point. J villains just pretend to be P and vice versa, because P will always win anyways.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
STP's are usually the heroes in action films (at least in the U.S. anyway). That's because mainstream moviegoers seem drawn to the flexible action-junkie "Bad boy" with a heart of gold.

In the old days, heroes were typically SJs.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, indeed... probably because the people writing stories and movie scripts are Ps. Moreover, mostly it's hero against the system. The right hero is someone who wants to break free and to whom some ideals/ loved ones/... are more important than the system. Of course, the right villain to represent the system is a J.

You've got the uptight stick-in-the-mud boss (ESTJ), the plotting villain (INTJ), the all-powerful emperor (ENTJ) and if you're lucky the manipulator (ENFJ).

I'm also quite sure most fiction heroes are Fs and most villains are Ts. Especially fantasy ones. Love conquers evil, you know.

Edit: 1984 from G. Orwell is a great science fiction novel (written in 1948) featuring a P versus J struggle... and the J wins.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think a J hero would be more effective than a P hero. P's stereotypically don't think things through.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I think a J hero would be more effective than a P hero. P's stereotypically don't think things through.

Not if its an IxxP! - Usually though, ISTPs seem to be backup, like that mechanic that can fix ANYTHING. (Cid from FFVII is a good example, he could be an ESTP, though.)

Seems that NTJs or just TJs are common main villains because of some overpowering moral inside them. an ENTJ can go berzerk if they watch what was important to them die. If they get 'stuck' in steamroller mode, then you have a good villain. Same goes for INTJs, but those are more of the shadowy kind of villain. Like Dracula.

The reason, I think, that villains are usually Js is that they have an internal vision that they have been planning for a long time and then some asshole P comes along with these frivolous morals and tries to ruin your years of hard work.

How would you like it if you spent many years of your life planning, saving up for, and building a house with your own hands just to see some douchebag ENTP try and buy the lot and demolish the house so he can make some Chuck-E-Cheese or something?

The main villain is portrayed as being moral-less, but they generally have some internal moral that overrides the others. Like their family being murder or something.

Ps don't make good villains because they either sulk and do nothing, or run around smelling roses. A good villain has to be a hard worker, otherwise he's just one of the villains cronies (identity-less Clone Trooper number 23950716 anyone? :D).

Ps are good heroes because in stories, the hero generally just responds to things, their plan is rarely far-reaching. They do the job in front of them and somehow it ends up saving the world. You can't really plan to save the world unless you're the INTJ 'villain' in that one movie with that one guy with that one blue skin with that one epic power of blue-ness. Apparently the comics were better according to all the longtime fans.

Lastly, Js just have the stance for villainy. A J looks better as a villain on stage, with their piercing gaze.

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
You can't really plan to save the world unless you're the INTJ 'villain' in that one movie with that one guy with that one blue skin with that one epic power of blue-ness. Apparently the comics were better according to all the longtime fans.

Wait, are you talking about Ozymandias? What makes you think he's an introvert?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I think I get why it is now. The villain always has a harder job because it's harder to start something than get it back to normal. Therefore a determined J is better. They as villains, have to concoct and create their entire scheme to take over the world/cause mayhem/whatever and the hero really has the easy job, keeping things as they are. They don't have to organise anything, just react to events that are initiated by the villain J.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
What if a Js agenda is to create chaos and raise hell? And he succeeds. Just because he messed up the order of things doesn't make him anymore or less of a J, and certainly not a P.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I know. That's what I'm saying. They initiate things. P's react to them.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know. That's what I'm saying. They initiate things. P's react to them.
Yeah right, as if we Ps can't take initiative. The main difference is methodical/planning versus chaotic/improvising.

A J can seem chaotical, but he never(*) is.
(*) I'm talking extremes here, of course. Which seem common in fiction.

The typical J villain is the one who is helpless when something breaks down his meticulous plans, and who reacts to this by making his next plan even more detailed.

I think J heroes are more common in those educational stories... and the Ps in the escape fantasy. But I'm certainly not advocating this as a rule, just as a observation. On the contrary... the heroine in my last fantasy novel was an ESTJ. (Next one is INTP with ENTP villain)

Little_Sticks

Interesting thread. I attempted to come up with a J hero, other than Superman, and I could only come up with Picard from Star Trek and maybe...Sanjuro from Yojimbo.