• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Words, like "remember," suck; dyslexia link?

Can you relate? (read first...)

• I'm an N-Type, and I CAN relate

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I'm an N-Type, and I CAN NOT relate

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • I'm NOT an N-Type, and I CAN relate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm NOT an N-Type, and I CAN NOT relate

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Hi all,

I've always had troubles saying the word "remember" in sentences. I've had similar troubles with other words too, but none quite as bad as this word. My dad, also an NT, has similar issues.

I was reading up on dyslexia, as some of the symptoms fit, and came across this:

Sarah hates reading aloud in class. She's never been a good reader, and even when she recognizes the words on the page, she seems to have trouble saying them correctly. School's never been her favorite place anyway because her teachers always complain about her writing and her spelling. She often gets discouraged, thinking that she's not as smart as other students.

Fortunately, Sarah has discovered she has talents that others don't. She's great at dreaming up costume and scenery ideas in drama club, and she's one of the best artists in her school. Sometimes she wonders how she can do so well in some areas of her life and so poorly in others.

(Understanding Dyslexia)

I saw that, and immediately wondered if there was a connection between that and we N-Types.

Can anybody else relate? Please comment here and also vote in the poll

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
No, not at all. I can't even where you're coming from. I hated school because of it's relative ease and because I'm bad with authority, even teachers. I'm a great reader though, and only a mediocre artist.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can relate. Although I don't think it's dsylexia in my case. If I'm deep in my thoughts, I can have trouble accessing the right words for objects.Hence my speech is peppered with thingymajig, whatsits ect. Just one of my quirks. I do think it has much to do with the fact I'm very visually orientated and I think in images. I read some where about auditory- sequential disorders (not the name, but you get the idea), which is more fitting in my case. I never have trouble recognising words and symbols though. It may have some thing to do with the fact I'm very right brained too.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This may or may not be of interest
Visual Thinking
With particular regards to the article "I think in pictures."

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi all,

I've always had troubles saying the word "remember" in sentences. I've had similar troubles with other words too, but none quite as bad as this word. My dad, also an NT, has similar issues.

I was reading up on dyslexia, as some of the symptoms fit, and came across this:

(Understanding Dyslexia)

I saw that, and immediately wondered if there was a connection between that and we N-Types.

Can anybody else relate? Please comment here and also vote in the poll

I might not be exactly sure what you mean. Are you talking about having trouble pronouncing certain words right when reading or talking to another? I have that problem, but rarely with the word 'remember,' just with a whole bunch of other words. I did not know this was related to dyslexia as it seems to be more of a problem with language execution than language processing. Perhaps if the trouble with saying things is frequent enough it could be classified as some sort of mild speech disorder, but for it to be classified as dyslexia, there probably needs to be some delay in the processing of words.

As far as the S/N divide goes, I doubt that these disorders would have much to do with type, but perhaps a non-clinical trouble with saying stuff could be attributed to difficulty with detail work, a trait more common to us intuitives...

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, if I can say the word 'remember,' but can't say, like, dozens of others words without really focusing hard, do I relate or not?

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Hmmm.

So, as far as stumbling over those annoying... ummm... thingamajigs... oh... words, I do that too (that time was a joke... but I do it too)

I also hated school because I was bored and hated their authority to tell me to do things simply because they had to tell me to do something - without, of course, making it useful. I just copied the whole paragraph to be complete...

The only reason I asked is because I saw the part of about thinking differently - specifically visualizing things that don't yet exist (an N trait) - and wondered if there was a correlation. Of course, this document would also have to be implying a correlation (between visualization and dyslexia) for this to even be a bad assumption, but I figure'd I'd ask.

From the very small sample size of the poll, it's looking like it's not correlated.

LunaLuminosity: I don't know. For instance, if I were to try to say the following sentence:

"Do you remember what I said the other day?"

I would (and just did as I said that aloud) be unable to start the word 'remember' directly after 'you' - I would have an abnormally large pause there as I 'reset' my vocal processor so I can more carefully say the word. (and no: it's not just when followed by words, for those of you who - like me - have already punched that hole in what I said)

This holds true for:

"Remember when I ate that bug?"

"I remembered my pants this morning!"

"I really wish I could say remember!"

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I don't believe that type and dyslexia are connected.

shmrie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I only relate as far as reading aloud, I will often get flustered and lose my spot on the page unless my finger is right next to the word. Reading to myself I'm fairly proficient, so as far as your topic question goes, I don't relate, but as far as your example goes, I can relate.