• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] tertiary function

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
There is a debate whether the attitude of tertiary function is the same as that of the dominant function in the personality or whether it is opposed in attitude.

For example an entp has Ne Ti Fe Si. Now some might feel they have more of Fi and not Fe. making all three functions except the dominant (Ne) of opposing attitude.

So is your tertiary function introverted or extroverted according to you?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think the tertiary is in trhe same direction as the primary, as that fits with what I understand of the tertiary temptation and it's effects that I can observe.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
spot on. i cant decide the attitude of me tertiary and i'm ambivalent about accuracy of tertiary temptation.

'm not convinced how much these addtional layers add to jungs work on functions such as 1. tertiary temptation and 2. same attitude of primary(dominant) and tertiary.

The original theory of jung is elegant and agreeable e.g. ENTP = Ne Ti Fi Si.

No tertiary temptation and no Fe.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have three developed functions. Ti, Si, and Ne. Which fits with the model of INTP being Ti Ne Si Fe.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
So we have a common understanding kindly look up all the functions here

Introverted Thinking

@blue gray thats great i have Ne Ni Te Ti most developed.! what mbti type fits me? :D maybe NeiTei? or NTSF?

veins

Wouldn't it make more sense to look at which functions are preferred as opposed to which are developed? Granted, if a function is preferred, it can make it more developed from being used more often; but does it work the other way around? In that, because a function is developed, it is more preferred. I mean, a function can be developed, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily preferred. Someone can consciously attempt to change the way they think to accommodate a different way of thinking that they want, but is that natural for the person? When I mention preference, I'm talking about natural preference. Also, everyone has some usage of all the functions. It's just the preferences of whichever functions that sets apart the type. From my understanding, at least.

Anyway, introverted tertiary function fits more for me than its extroverted version.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@blue gray thats great i have Ne Ni Te Ti most developed.! what mbti type fits me? :D maybe NeiTei? or NTSF?

You fit the testing patterns is what it suggests, generally people either score Dom/Aux and then their opposite attitudes, or somewhat close to the pattern of their type, basically it's pretty normal to score the way you do. Decision Making

Personally I don't agree with Jung's original claim such as Ne-Ti Fi Si, as I have better Fe than Fi as I understand the functions to be. The question is do the modern interpretations of what the functions mean hold consistent?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From my understanding of Introverted feeling, it is definitely my biggest downfall. The tertiary is a function that you use when your dominant functions just don't seem to be working. It's the function that you fall back on as a last resort.