• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How can an NT be stupid?

Jaguar

And I don't think it's healthy to define a group of people based on your experiences with one.

Considering how many stupid NTs there are, that is sound advice.
We must have faith brothers and sisters! Praise the Lord!
There must be a smart NT somewhere!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:hi:

I can be a smart NT, but I prefer not to be an NT... :newwink:

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know type is supposed to have little effect on intelligence, and I know not all NTs are supergenius's. But seriously, with N giving innovation, abstract thinking, forward thinking and seeing patterns and T giving logical planned decisions and ideals based mostly on what's rational, how can someone honestly be dumb?

'Cause there are dumb people.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is a saying, "some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them".

Man you always refer to the current administration like that.

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP
If we're talking IQ, (most)tests used to measure IQ are convergence tests.
Using the premise that N makes one more inovative, N doesn't really give much of an advantage. Those with N preferences WOULD be more suited towards divergence tests.

As for the T thing... some people have really stupid thoughts...
just because you prefer to place an emphasis on logic when making a descision, doesn't mean your logic is sound.

Here's a funny little exchange to think about-

"What would be nice? Hotpot? Sukiyaki? Crab is a no-no. I can't take it. Picking the flesh out of the shell drives me nuts. Why can't crabs make their shells edible? How come they didn't do anything about that during the course of evolution, might I ask?"

"That's exactly why they evolved shells! They don't undergo natural selection in the depths of the sea just for the sake of your stomach!"

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Considering how many stupid NTs there are, that is sound advice.
We must have faith brothers and sisters! Praise the Lord!
There must be a smart NT somewhere!

I can't stop laughing. bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
"How can an NT be stupid?" Let me count the ways ... ;)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just becoz you have a preference towards something doesn't mean you're good at it.

:yes:

^This, and nothing more.

It has almost nothing to do with this IQ, EQ, or Mulitple Intelligences nonsense.

There is one intelligence, it has a single definition at its core, and whatever it is it can be applied to almost any situation.

Besides, everyone knows emotional intelligence doesn't exist. Emotions just happen from random neurochemical processes, and other people only exist in my imagination. ;)

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ok, we always debate what the definition of intelligence means. But, can someone tell me what the exact definition of stupid is? I mean I thought this person in my class was off the chain when he made an argument that "music" shouldn't have to empty your wallet because everyone has the right to be inspire and be creative. And he added, having no money shouldn't get in the way of a person's creative drive or the chance for a musician to change a person's life through his or her music. He closed it off by saying that he doesn't see anything wrong with pirating music from the internet and actually help the artist by getting their messages across that the artist made the music for. I almost told him to stop advocating for free music but instead advocate for free food, because without food we can't be inspire or be creative because we'll simply be dead. I mean that is a bigger issue, because why should i have to go broke for basic neccessity that will help me be inspire and be creative.

Then I took a deep breath and simply put myself on his shoes (not too long) and I realized he was just looking through his perspective. I'm guessing he is an idealist and got his logic using his emotion which I believe is as viable as logical reasoning (he would still get arrested if I was the FBI since he didn't consider other people's perspective). And there's learning capability, we know there are various learning styles like auditory, visual, and kinetic which dictate a person who is slow at one type of learning style might be awesome in another. It's all how we prefer to take in informations and what information we want to take in.

So in my opinion, there's no such thing as a stupid person. It's more accurate to state that a person is ignorant or close minded about a subject. But, can someone tell me who is not bias about any subject one way or another?

So I don't know, I would like to think I have an average IQ...so could someone educate me where my logic is failing me, because I don't really know any stupid people.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A stupid person is just one who can't figure out how to do whatever it is that his functions need to be fulfilled...he still wants the same things other people of that type want; he just can't wield his functions effectively enough to get them.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Let's not talk about emotional intelligence here, but just about intelligence, okay? We all know NTs are on the bottom of the EQ scale. The question is whether if they can be "stupid" in the usual sense of the word.

To me, the answer is yes. Just because you like and value logic and abstract thinking doesn't mean you're good at it. Probably stupid NTs think they are smart, which makes them even stupider. Mr. Kranky (George's marvellous medicine, Roald Dahl) is a stupid ENTP. I don't know if there are more examples...

Personally, I often have the impression I'm hitting against the limits of my brain. I can't understand things immediately, I can't grasp concepts as fast and as fully as I want to... I've encountered people who are smarter than I am, I've encountered people who are stupider than I am.
To me, intelligence is a resource a person can use, refine, add to (I'm certain a person can become more intelligent),... and NTs love to work with that resource. Some people just have more fruitful beginning than others.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, they can be stupid. Being an NT just means you tend to prefer considering the world in certain ways; it's quite possible to be bad at them.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
A stupid person is just one who can't figure out how to do whatever it is that his functions need to be fulfilled...he still wants the same things other people of that type want; he just can't wield his functions effectively enough to get them.

That leaves alot of room for misinterpretation. Want/needs are different from the ability to process informations. The means to get the "need" might correlate to a person's ability to gather data/facts and process accordingly to successfully get the desired result to fulfill the function's need. However, you must consider outside varibles that are ultimately out of the individual's control. So, failure doesn't neccessary mean "stupid" in my opinion.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm ok, that's a fair point, but any cognitive style can be approached well or poorly. If you've never met any stupid NTs you should feel lucky.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
What I mean by stupid is, well it's hard to explain. Someone who who can not understand fairly simple systems and principles, regardless of how hard they try. I was thinking about this because I was told that type has no effect on intelligence, but I have never met an NT who was not at least fairly intelligent in terms of what I've discussed, and even some questions on MBTI tests seem to involve intelligence, such as "You easily understand new theoretical principles Y/N."

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I know type is supposed to have little effect on intelligence, and I know not all NTs are supergenius's. But seriously, with N giving innovation, abstract thinking, forward thinking and seeing patterns and T giving logical planned decisions and ideals based mostly on what's rational, how can someone honestly be dumb?
Read Einstein's school reports.
It is all there.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is an admirable economy to questions that provide their own answer.