• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] SJ and NT and Eccentricity

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the NT section we don't backpedal, we explain!

Kidding. ;)

(no, but really I was explaining :D)

I don't understand the fuss.

that's ok... it just proves that the sensors are more openminded :newwink:

*eats an apple*

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:yay: fruit!!!

I guess I should start working on cars and such too... I mean, isn't that what STPs are good at or something? :unsure:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
SJ eccentricity? i don't know about that, are you sure you didn't mean SP, or maybe even NF?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I have been there with (older) SJs* (and I know these men I was talking about, I'm not randomly assuming strangers I click with are NTs)...it is completely different. Not because SJs are inferior, it's a mutual compatibility thing. There just is a difference and communication with a much older SJ that's in a way different phase of his/her life is more difficult than communication with a fellow NT in the same situation. I guess I was happy to see that connection persist regardless of the external circumstances and I thought it was remarkable.

Why stereotypically discard/mock my reaction?

*I'll add "most SJs" if you want me to be politically correct.

This isn't even about being poltically correct. I don't know maybe it's because INTJs lack Si, but in my experience with SJ older people - a lot of them are more balanced than you would think, in terms of functions, so they're more in touch with their N, etc. (and vice versa)

It really depends on the person, of course. Maybe it's easier for me as an NF female to relate to older SFJ women or something (which would be the mirror of you as an NT male talking about STJ older men I'm assuming), and like as an NT...maybe because you lack Si...I don't know, maybe you think that older STJ men couldn't possibly relate to you? I don't see why, especially since you both have Te and Fi. :coffee:

Ok. I decided to edit this for clarity.

I rented a room in a house when I lived in Vegas for about a year. The people who owned the house were in their sixties. The wife was undoubtedly an ESFJ - she was the stereotypical mother figure, cooking, cleaning, self-sacrificing, telling me stories about how she used to iron her husband's underwear. But she was surprisingly awesome. I loved this woman. If I sat down and talked to her, she would be straight forward and blunt and say "oh I'm too old to bullshit" and would tell me stories about how she was a virgin until she was 22 and "oh wasn't I so naiive!" and seriously, obviously knew all about life and was very candid and easy to talk to.

My exes mother is also a text book xSFJ...I mean, from a distance, she met every stereotype: cooking, cleaning, martyr, OCD, not on time to work but always EARLY, loved to play "host" in her home to people, obsessed by details, showed love by gifts, invasive, controlling, et al...yeah we didn't get along the best, I'm not going to talk about that here because it's not the point...but when I did get along with her I was surprised how cool and open minded she could be about certain things, and the same kind old lady "no nonsense" with certain topics of discussion if you really got to know her. The thing was though, you really had to know her to see it.

Jaguar

*tosses Jag an apple*

harvest-delivery-02.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hands Jag a mango :laugh:

to marmalade.sunrise- strange... I tend to identify with NFJs :thinking:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
SJs can't be eccentric?

Not really.

Conventionality is implicit in the SJ Guardian temperament. You can't separate the two.

An eccentric person just won't self-identify with SJness.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not really.

Conventionality is implicit in the SJ Guardian temperament. You can't separate the two.

Everybody's conventional in some way. Nobody is that eccentric in the purest sense. So it's kind of narrow minded to think that somebody's won't be eccentric because of some preprinted description.

I'd say an SJ's less likely to be eccentric- but then again, the ones that are wouldn't be typed as an SJ based on their behavior.

I don't self-identify to half of the crap painted about SJs on this board- I don't call myself eccentric though. Moreso an individual.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Not really.

Depends on the environment they grew up in. If the eccentricity is part of that convention they'll be used to it, won't think it that bizarre and not try to kill it with fire. But this subset of SJs will be in the minority, simply because eccentrics are in the minority.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
So it's kind of narrow minded to think that somebody's won't be eccentric because of some preprinted description.

If they're eccentric, they won't agree with the preprinted description (which is all MBTI is) of the SJ Guardian type in the first place. A different type would probably fit better.

I'd say an SJ's less likely to be eccentric- but then again, the ones that are wouldn't be typed as an SJ based on their behavior.

Right. Because the two are incompatible.

I don't self-identify to half of the crap painted about SJs on this board- I don't call myself eccentric though. Moreso an individual.

I think you have so much of a problem with how SJs are discussed here, because you're not one. Or are in between types, which happens.

Depends on the environment they grew up in. If the eccentricity is part of that convention they'll be used to it, won't think it that bizarre and not try to kill it with fire. But this subset of SJs will be in the minority, simply because eccentrics are in the minority.

If eccentricity is the norm, doesn't it cease to be eccentric?

I think local environment takes precedent over wider social environment for lots of people. So if their social group is eccentric comparatively, it would be more eccentric to disregard it.

Chimerical

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w5
Horrible confrontations I have with people are ALWAYS with SJ's.
It's always caused be my being weird and them desiring something normal. If it's a horribly unhealthy SJ that will cause a great deal on conflict.

A "friend" was talking to me about politics of some sort [I don't really remember] and found in interesting that I knew as much as I did and had a view very close to his. Then a friend of mine sits down and starts making gay jokes and we're all joking around and the initial "friend" get's angry and tells me to stop telling gay jokes or else he'll snap my neck.

Thus the war begins. I tell him that his demands me nothing and I will continue to be what I will be since we both have equal right to be where we were it's a level playing field and no one should make demands to another. And if you want to go with the elders rule, I'm your elder, but I think that's bullshit, so you keep to yourself and I'll do the same.

He wasn't having it and insisted that I stop telling weird jokes around my friends [who were mutual friends of his]. He made continuous threats, eventually got so angry he had his blood pressure up and had to go to the hospital and now blames in on me [who didn't know about his condition].

So, that random ESTJ homophobe runs into me here and there because we have a few mutual friends. It's usually Our mutual INTJ friend that invites him, even though no one else wants him around. Whenever I see him I'm polite, but I joke around and have fun with the rest of my friends I don't have to be polite to and he'll get pissed and basically tell me not to be me. It angers him more that I'm 135lbs and not scared of him [245lbs].

However I tend to run into a few SJ's [usually older or just more healthy ones] who're the best of friends with me. An ISTJ friend of mine notices that I don't seem to care much for the rules and am intersted in the results. So he'll convince me to do things for him that he wouldn't normally do. We have the most interesting conversations. It's amusing to hear his views on things [which are only slightly different than mine, but that slight difference makes all the difference].

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
I know myself to be an anomaly, an oddity. Weird to a lot of folks. Once with a small group of friends I stated that and added that my goal was to be eccentric. On friend immediately said, "I do believe you have succeeded!"

Ah, me...