• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] xNTP dilemma

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have this dilemma on a recurring basis (pretty much daily). I remember simulatedworld saying one time that a good rule of thumb for INTP's in social situations is that you don't have to "crush" someone or totally defeat them in the conversation - even if you are capable of it. I agree with that, for the most part.

With that in mind, here's the dilemma. I'm currently in a situation where I have to converse with numerous people. It's small talk. An INTP's favorite thing. :doh: I don't have to kiss their butts, but let's just say it's in everyone's best interest to keep the conversations pleasant and positive. I *could* go in a different direction with the conversations if I wanted to (when I'm challenged or pushed on an issue), but I know it's better not to.

There are a few individuals with whom I interact who continually want to "throw verbal jabs" about something that is specific to me. It's like they are picking at me to see how I'll respond. The more they do it, the more ridiculous it is to me. The way I see it, I have three choices:

(a) Act like I agree with them, even though I do not (not something I'm comfortable with - it kind of goes against INTP principles I think)
(b) Ignore them (not really feasible for the sake of professionalism and in order to maintain harmony)
(c) Engage in *some level* of verbal warfare (for lack of a better term - it basically becomes a debate).

The real problem for me is that I can "soften" my argument (or verbal assault - LOL) using Fe. Instead of "cramming it down their throat Ti style", I can kind of "present it to them" in a way that will make them think about it. But, I find that when I do this they come back for more the next day and they poke and prod harder - maybe they didn't like the way the cold, hard truth sat with them overnight type of thing. The more it goes on - the more they poke and prod about ridiculous stuff (that I could verbally demolish them with), the more I feel like I'm only left with one option: let them have it. And I find that it ruins relationships. They no longer "like me" when I do this. Being an INTP who wants to continue to grow and mature, I want people to like me. When it comes down to it, I don't care much if they do. But, for the sake of bettering myself, I think it's important to learn how to maintain these relationships of mutual respect.

To give a random example (I don't want to get into specifics), imagine 2 or 3 S's with whom you have to maintain these "good" relationships with. And they find it amusing to challenge you on something that has to do with your upbringing/culture/things that are near and dear to you. And if something in the news pops up that supports their point, they're quick to point it out and show you how it supports what they are saying. That sort of thing. Keep in mind that they are pretty much in a "customer" role, while I am one of the ones providing the service.

What gives? What is one to do?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
find a new job :D

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
LOL. Either way, we're going to encounter these kinds of situations in life.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an uncle who does the sort of thing you describe in your example. To preserve family harmony, I resist letting him have it. Fortunately I do not see him often. One thing I have done that might work for you is to make your reply a neutral, factual question. "Was that news story yesterday? What channel was it on? I'm surprised they took an interest in that. Did they interview anyone? What did they say?" Sensors love details (supposedly), and can get so wrapped up in their descriptions, that they forget the initial animosity or intent to needle. Perhaps by then, you can conclude your business with them and move on. Eventually they may lose interest when you do not rise to the bait.

Another strategy I have used on very pushy people is to hit them before they hit me. Seek them out, greet them enthusiastically, and start in on a topic that will catch their attention but not annoy you too much (aside of still being useless, worthless, banal, irritating, will-it-ever-end smalltalk). You have my deepest sympathy, and sincerest wishes for good luck.