• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP, why did you choose your partner?

HomerSoprano

MBTI Type
INTP
On what grounds did you choose your partner? Feelings, attraction, common interrests, logic etc etc. And what type is your partner?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ended up the chosen one because of being "different".

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think I was the first girl my INTP didn't scare away.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When I do choose a partner I really enjoy intelligence, good conversation, a good heart, positive nature/attitude, and I want to see the ability to be a good mother. Oh, and sexaaaaaaay (which is in the eye of the beholder), sleek, and classy.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
We picked each other, an apparent mystery at times to me – INTJ.

Cerridwen

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My ex told me "When you said a megasporangia looked like a power ranger mickey mouse... I knew you were the one for me."

So I think it was my weirdness...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This. :laugh: I mulled it over for a couple of days and thought "Eh, why not". She's intelligent, funny, independent, etc. Traits I value in potential partners.

See, I just said "Okay" immediately [we were going to a dance together anyways, set up by our mutual friend] and figured if I didn't like her I'd just start to ignore her and she'd break up with me after while, like my previous "gf."

But your tactic works fine too.

atticus

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5 sp
I was absolutely compelled to talk to this person, and as I got to know them, they turned out to be everything I wasn't. It was like two puzzle-pieces came together to make a blissful finished product.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was absolutely compelled to talk to this person, and as I got to know them, they turned out to be everything I wasn't. It was like two puzzle-pieces came together to make a blissful finished product.

What type is the other puzzle piece?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would like to say "Because he was filthy rich."

If someone out there could set me up so that I would be able to say that, I'd be very much obliged.

atticus

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5 sp
What type is the other puzzle piece?

ENFP. I didn't expect it either. I was all wrapped up in socionics and identical type relations at the time, and definitely didn't believe in that love-at-first-sight nonsense...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP. I didn't expect it either. I was all wrapped up in socionics and identical type relations at the time, and definitely didn't believe in that love-at-first-sight nonsense...

It's not nonsense, sometimes you hit one out of the park. :)
Glad it worked for you.

Everyone is so different. Some thrive in opposite pairings, others need people who are more similar in order for things to last.

More seriously, for me, what I've found is that I need someone who is smart, funny, laid-back, empathetic/sensitive, and independent. I'm still wavering on the "creative" thing, since one way I bond would be by sharing a creative vision with a mate; in any case, I admire people with self-vision and a purpose to their lives as well.

My part relationship was a mistake in many ways. Apparently my basic criteria as a teenager for a partner was "someone who likes me first and who believes the same things I do." That was not a great foundation for me to build a relationship on (especially when our beliefs diverged!), I was just too desperate and befuddled at the time to understand my legitimate needs and then pursue them. Instead I just tried to flex to whatever came my way.

I would recommend NOT doing the "flexy" thing into a relationship, and instead be more proactive in screening potential mates.

atticus

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5 sp
It's not nonsense, sometimes you hit one out of the park. :)
Glad it worked for you.

Everyone is so different. Some thrive in opposite pairings, others need people who are more similar in order for things to last.

It didn't, actually. It ended in one of the more horrendous ways I could possibly imagine. But, it was pretty awesome while it lasted.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh damn...that's sad. sorry to hear it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It didn't, actually. It ended in one of the more horrendous ways I could possibly imagine. ...

Oh gee, talk about the "twist ending" I didn't know was coming. :blush: sorry... and sorry things ended badly as well.

It sounds like you at least took something away from it, though.

Personally, while I have a few ENFP friends, I also tend to get into arguments with other ENFPs I know. Not good. (It seems to depend on whether they are more N or more F.)