• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] You know you're an ENTP when...

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
To provide a counter-example to the failing at school these...
- if you succeed at school because you're good at learning, but you're no good at applying what you've learnt. I'm really good at school-like learning, but putting knowledge in practice... shudder. I'd rather be a student forever, because that's what I'm good at. Learning. Not working.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me I'm just lazy. I dropped out of college twice because I aced every test, but failed to turn in even a quarter of my assignments.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
When you have two chapters of a dissertation due in about a week so you procrastinate by coming here and reading this silly thread, but you know without a doubt you're going to get the chapters done on time anyway because things just tend to work out like that for you.

Not that this is from personal experience or anything.

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
Bullshit. ENTPs do not grow up, and those that do are not ENTPs.

Are you speaking from personal experience?

I realize this was intended to be a light-hearted thread, so I'm sorry I felt the need to take issue with your portayal of ENTPs as taking pleasure in being arrogant douches, but it's important for other personality types who read this thread to realize that while most ENTPs have been perceived as arrogant douches at some point or another, the majority grow out of taking pleasure in it.

There are several reasons for this. Perhaps it's as simple as life experience demonstrating that arrogant douches aren't taken particularly seriously in the workplace. At some point the ENTP needs to develop consensus or become influential to implement their ideas. If you're an arrogant douche (and happy about it) you should not be surprised if you entrench people in their positions and your enemies sobbotage your plans given the slightest opportunity.

Being an arrogant douche is also damaging to interpersonal relationships. After repeated failures where the need to "be right" or shove your intelligence down the throats of others leads to rejection, volatility, insecurity, mistrust, anger, or resentment, the older (and wiser) ENTP, through the school of hard knocks, will start to appreciate that human relationships are valuable and not an expendable commodity used to help satisfy the ego.

I'm not a psychologist, and I'm not well-versed enough in MBTI to say whether or not this is the tertiary function of Fe being developed over time, but I will definitely say that in my late 30s I am very concerned about how my friends, family, coworkers, peers, and colleagues perceive me. It took a long time for me to rehabilitate my reputation after being so outspoken in my 20s and early 30s.

My career is now thriving and have a lot of influence in my workplace and my community. Whatever pride or happiness you derive from being an arrogant douche will prove to be costly, and ultimately not worth it. That's not to say I expect you to listen to me. "You know you're an ENTP when..." you have to learn things the hard way.

Cerridwen

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You know you're and ENTP when you are able to make a deadly weapon out of a pen and a rubber band, because you were bored in class...

Thankfully my brother missed my eye when he showed it to me... he only made his "arrow" stick in the cork board beside my head.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
When you have two chapters of a dissertation due in about a week so you procrastinate by coming here and reading this silly thread, but you know without a doubt you're going to get the chapters done on time anyway because things just tend to work out like that for you.

thats my argument for the existence of God. i MUST have a guardian angel everywhere

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

thats my argument for the existence of God. i MUST have a guardian angel everywhere

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know you're and ENTP when you are able to make a deadly weapon out of a pen and a rubber band, because you were bored in class...

Thankfully my brother missed my eye when he showed it to me... he only made his "arrow" stick in the cork board beside my head.

I hope this isn't the only way, such toys were common fare of the kitty smithy. ^^;;

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doesn't everyone know how to do that? :shock:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
^No, I just imagined the blackboard melting away and in the hole I imagined lots of stories take place. I don't want to "lose time", ever. Time which isn't spent on imagining or playing or experimenting is time lost.
I have made a deadly weapon with a rubber band and some paper, but not during class.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
the sound of Arnold Schwarzenegger makes you laugh.

GEEHT DAAUN.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
"You know you're an ENTP when..." you have to learn things the hard way.
No, you know you are human then. Great post, though :)
To me, the difference between an immature and a (more) mature ENTP is this...
The immature one only sees two choices: either conform and be a good ISFJ with a boring life in order not to lose your friends; or be enthousiastic, selfish, only interested in theories and not in people, attention-seeking, scaring off any aquaintance, in short be a douchebag and proud of it.

There are more than two possibilities. The number of possibilities is infinite. Tertiary Fe has more options than "do everything in order to please people, especially shut down random abstract Ne and cold, analytical Ti" and "nonexistent".

There is also helping people to understand abstract concepts :D

nijasumi

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
hahahaahaha...that made me laugh and put my hands together in a compliment to you

-when you go from being 5 to 25 (yrs old) in less than a sentence
-when you intrigue the living crap out of yourself in a totally non-egocentric way...or thats what you and the rest of the T world thinks. Fs are just thinking who the fuck is this retard
-when you...(fuck i totally forgot what i was gonna say here. im not even joking)

"when you go from being 5 to 25 (yrs old) in less than a sentence"
SO TRUE!

nijasumi

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
- when you speak nonchalantly and people around laugh as if they heard the best joke in the world.
- when you fucked things up bad at moments when your friend tells something tragic and you just ended up laughing at it
- when you get so pissed off at times when people do not believe you. The best part of it is the manipulation to prove them wrong in their face :D
- when people cannot figure out whether you are childish or hellishly mature with a mask.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
- When the tables turned and you started being the parent to your parents at 14 because you grasped things they couldn't fathom.

- When you don't show up to traffic court cause you figured you could talk your way out of whatever later.

- When you only pay colored bills or things that say "disconnect notice" and end up paying a late fee even though you had the money.

- One of your biggest fears in life is having nothing and being totally fine with that.

- You don't date to protect people from yourself.

- You can make a HUGE decision in 1/10th of a second but it takes you a month and 40 hours of research to make a little one.

- You feel more alone when you're around people than you do when you're actually alone.

- Everybody in the world thinks you're flirting with them.

- You leave a store and reach the end of the parking lot before you notice your car was 1,000 feet behind you.

- You truly feel bad about how good you are at manipulating people.

- You repeat yourself often cause you can't remember what you've said as opposed to what you've thought about saying.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Indeed, some of them are so true.

- You can make a HUGE decision in 1/10th of a second but it takes you a month and 40 hours of research to make a little one.
True. I even pretend to have made the decision already to get people off my back. Like "I'm going to become a teacher!" while thinking "Actually I don't know, but I can always pretend to have changed my mind if I actually *decided* to do something else."
I never decided to become a teacher. When the time was there to take the teacher's course and work, I STILL had not decided. I just took the thing and started to work as a teacher, and I'm still on the look-out for something else. I'll always be on the look-out.

- You feel more alone when you're around people than you do when you're actually alone.
True, but when you are alone for a long time you're frustrated and bored to hell. Even if you've got loads of free time.

- You leave a store and reach the end of the parking lot before you notice your car was 1,000 feet behind you.
Did I bring the car to the store? Must be, because now I'm home and the car isn't there...

- You repeat yourself often cause you can't remember what you've said as opposed to what you've thought about saying.
This, or the opposite: skip chunks of story or reasoning because you think you've said it; then remembering that the other person didn't know and filling in, thus making a very non-straightforward narrative out of it.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- When the tables turned and you started being the parent to your parents at 14 because you grasped things they couldn't fathom.

- When you don't show up to traffic court cause you figured you could talk your way out of whatever later.

- When you only pay colored bills or things that say "disconnect notice" and end up paying a late fee even though you had the money.

- One of your biggest fears in life is having nothing and being totally fine with that.

- You don't date to protect people from yourself.

- Everybody in the world thinks you're flirting with them.

- You truly feel bad about how good you are at manipulating people.

Dude, I would say this is true for ENFPs as well. Just saying. Well, at least for me.