• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What are your IQs?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I feel so inferior on here, because people keep talking about getting A grades all the time with no effort in school and such. I am not so lucky. I get maybe 1 or 2 As and the rest are Bs and Cs. Even if it's just the (less reliable I know) online tests, what IQs have you scored? I usually get around 130.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Yeah, it doesn't require very much talent to brag about accomplishments online, so don't feel badly about not appearing to measure up, goodgrief.

Without commenting on the validity of IQ in general - particularly in its relationship to wealth and culture, suffice to say that I've scored upwards of 70 on a few tests online.

So, you're in good company.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh wow! I thought it was INTPc with a thread on IQ! :devil:

Online IQ tests aren't considered an accurate tool for assessing IQ from an academic standpoint anyways- looking at the questions I can see why :shock:

However, IQ doesn't really matter as far as success or failure goes- there are a lot of people out there who's asses I kick on IQ tests who are signifigantly more successful than I am! :laugh:

Really, it's what you do with what you have, not what you have- the test is kind of pointless.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The internet is littered with lonely failures bragging about their IQ scores. Why feel inferior to that!?

As has been said, don't define your worth by how quickly you can solve a puzzle, define it by how effectively you can positively affect the world around you.

This depends on all kinds of things - your openess to elarning, your ability to relate to tohers, ability to understand the logic of a situation, ability ot intuititively understand the essence of a situation, ability to know and recall details, ability to "grab the moment2 etc.

In MBTI terms all the functions represent a potnetiality but also by their dominance supress other vital functions meanign we nalso need to work other types. In leymans terms we all have weaknesses and potential.

None of us on our own is complete but working as a whole for a positive purpose, pooling our ability and knowledge, learning form those who can teach us, teahcing those who need to learn, is how we can "be something".

In other words, intelligence is collective, and what defines your intelligence is your ability to relate to the collective consciousness of the age we live in in order to both learn from it and add into it. Not an IQ score.

</commie propaganda>. :tongue:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
ly00.jpg

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
internet IQ miscalibration extravaganza

Here are some reasons why online tests can't measure IQ accurately. Remember that IQ only measures relative intelligence within a control group taking the test. There isn't a number a person owns that can stay with them, the scores are all fluid and relative, changing with each peer group and test.

1. There are no controls on the test taker who can easily have a second browser open to help answer questions, along with a few friends. This lack of control should make everyone's scores lower than the controlled versions in school because more people will be getting correct answers... and yet.

2. People regularly report scores at 150 and higher, often noting they don't know what it means. An actual IQ of 130 places you in the top 2% of society and will get you in Mensa if you can demonstrate it credibly. Only on the internet IQ miscalibration extravaganza is 130 a modest or even low score.

3. The group taking the test is also not defined. Is it 6th graders? Senior citizens? Anybody? The peer group is unknown and uncontrolled.

4. The tests are often rather short and with questions that make it possible to actually get them all correct. Even standardized IQ tests become less effective the further they are measuring out from the norm of 100.

5. Some of these online tests have an offer at the end to purchase a book or something for which getting a high score is a motivation to make the purchase.

I've thought about how it is occurring that so many people have unrealistic notions about their IQ. There is a natural self-inflation where people tend to think they are smarter, or better drivers, etc. than is actually the case, but in this instance the exaggeration is a bit more stunning. There is probably just a lot of misinformation along with tests reporting high scores. Some people might simply lie about it perpetuating an inflated norm. I also think that there is a natural desire to contribute and demonstrate a significant skill within a group. Back in the days of the small village or tribe a person could be the smartest, the fastest, the best at something and feel personal significance. In the global village a person would actually need an IQ of 150 in order to stand out to that same degree. Average feels like insignificance and anonymity which people are overwhelmed by and so search for a sense of meaningful personal contribution and end up with a distorted sense of self.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Kay, but you guys seem to all be really smart without ever even trying, if my homework thread is anything to go by.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some people naturally test well... it doesn't have to do with intelligence, particularly, more knowlege of tactics and self confidence! Tests are usually weighted for grades and considered more heavily for academic success :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like I said before… mine goes to 11.

Cerridwen

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Test (mainly academic tests) measure how accurately you can regurgitate information, how cunning you can be while cheating and how much you can please readers with absolute bull crap (at least that was me and essay tests). At least that's what it felt like in high school... and in college so far...

Not to mention there's so many other factors to consider like inconsistencies in what you're supposed to learn (i.e. some teachers don't teach A because they don't think it's important and some teachers assume you know A because they assumed your former teacher taught it to you), methods used to teach, willingness to learn whatever is being taught, etc. So, I don't really think it has a whole lot to do with IQ. IQ might have a tiny smidgen to do with good grades and such, but only as much as the other factors has at most.

Anyway, the general knowledge aspect of some IQ tests annoy me. It's like the lottery. Ask me anything about literature, geography, history, or art, I'd know it. Ask me specific questions about governments of other countries and I'd be screwed. Either way, it makes me feel as if my tests come out a bit skewed.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I did only one real IQ test at school (online tests, as said, don't seem accurate), and for some reason we never got to hear the results, although they said we would get them. So I don't know my IQ.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, it doesn't require very much talent to brag about accomplishments online, so don't feel badly about not appearing to measure up, goodgrief. .

Do you believe that a lot of talent is required in order to do well on a non-online. MENSA administred IQ test?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Here are some reasons why online tests can't measure IQ accurately. Remember that IQ only measures relative intelligence within a control group taking the test. There isn't a number a person owns that can stay with them, the scores are all fluid and relative, changing with each peer group and test.

1. There are no controls on the test taker who can easily have a second browser open to help answer questions, along with a few friends. This lack of control should make everyone's scores lower than the controlled versions in school because more people will be getting correct answers... and yet.

2. People regularly report scores at 150 and higher, often noting they don't know what it means. An actual IQ of 130 places you in the top 2% of society and will get you in Mensa if you can demonstrate it credibly. Only on the internet IQ miscalibration extravaganza is 130 a modest or even low score.

3. The group taking the test is also not defined. Is it 6th graders? Senior citizens? Anybody? The peer group is unknown and uncontrolled.

4. The tests are often rather short and with questions that make it possible to actually get them all correct. Even standardized IQ tests become less effective the further they are measuring out from the norm of 100.

5. Some of these online tests have an offer at the end to purchase a book or something for which getting a high score is a motivation to make the purchase.

I've thought about how it is occurring that so many people have unrealistic notions about their IQ. There is a natural self-inflation where people tend to think they are smarter, or better drivers, etc. than is actually the case, but in this instance the exaggeration is a bit more stunning. There is probably just a lot of misinformation along with tests reporting high scores. Some people might simply lie about it perpetuating an inflated norm. I also think that there is a natural desire to contribute and demonstrate a significant skill within a group. Back in the days of the small village or tribe a person could be the smartest, the fastest, the best at something and feel personal significance. In the global village a person would actually need an IQ of 150 in order to stand out to that same degree. Average feels like insignificance and anonymity which people are overwhelmed by and so search for a sense of meaningful personal contribution and end up with a distorted sense of self.

Oh good, finally we have an intelligent person expressnig skepticism about the reliability of IQ tests. However, I have not yet seen anyone here question whether there is such a thing as 'intelligence' as defined by IQ test and that thing can be measured by a single number. Intelligence, if broadly construed is a person's ability to solve abstract puzzles accurately. However, a wide range of such conundrums exists and in turn the different problems we encounter require different reasoning skills. It is manifest to me that a historian or a political scientist engages in different problem solving activities than a mathematician or a physicist. The former may rely more on inductive reasoning whle the latter more on deductive and even within a single discipline some problems require a greater reliance on memory than imagination or vice versa, whilst others require brainstroming activities more than attention to sense-perception and vice versa of course. To say that IQ exists as a single phenomenon would mean to imply that all problem solving is essentially the same kind of an activity, which is false.

The advocates of the IQ concept can claim that the number a person receives as his score is only an average of all of his abilities, however, in that case what reason do we have to believe that all intellectual activities should be weighed equally? Why should we think that being able to brainstorm ideas is just as important as being able to memorize the nature of entities that one has been exposed to or that deductive reasoning is just as important as exercising one's imagination effectively. Obviously which skill set is the most important depends on the nature of the intellectual activity a person is dealing with and the concept of general intelligence arbitrarily assumes that all intellectual activities are of equal importance.

The fact that the present debate is about a partisan issue is duly noted and I am not trying to indoctrinate anyone to believe in any particular position, I wish to merely raise awareness of the conceptual difficulties surrounding the concept of IQ. In turn, I hope that fewer readers will be inclined to uncritically accept the claim that 'intelligence' is a monolithic, very clearly defined and a simple entity.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Oh good, finally we have an intelligent person expressnig skepticism about the reliability of IQ tests. However, I have not yet seen anyone here question where there is such a thing as 'intelligence' as defined by IQ test and that thing can be measured by a single number. Intelligence, if broadly construed is a person's ability to solve abstract puzzles accurately. However, a wide range of such conundrums exists and in turn the different problems we encounter require different reasoning skills. It is manifest to me that a historian or a political scientist engages in different problem solving activities than a mathematician or a physicist. The former may rely more on inductive reasoning whle the latter more on deductive and even within a single discipline some problems require a greater reliance on memory than imagination or vice versa, whilst others require brainstroming activities more than attention to sense-perception and vice versa of course. To say that IQ exists as a single phenomenon would mean to imply that all problem solving is essentially the same kind of an activity, which is false.

The advocates of the IQ concept can claim that the number a person receives as his score is only an average of all of his abilities, however, in that case what reason do we have to believe that all intellectual activities should be weighed equally? Why should we think that being able to brainstorm ideas is just as important as being able to memorize the nature of entities that one has been exposed to or that deductive reasoning is just as important as exercising one's imagination effectively. Obviously which skill set is the most important depends on the nature of the intellectual activity a person is dealing with and the concept of general intelligence arbitrarily assumes that all intellectual activities are of equal importance.

The fact that the present debate is about a partisan issue is duly noted and I am not trying to indoctrinate anyone to believe in any particular position, I wish to merely raise awareness of the conceptual difficulties surrounding the concept of IQ. In turn, I hope that fewer readers will be inclined to uncritically accept the claim that 'intelligence' is a monolithic, very clearly defined and a simple entity.

This is 100% correct.

To be fair I thought I had questioned the concept of IQ in my post though, despite you saying that nobody had.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ Good post SW.

I believe some threads have devolved to debate IQ: This recent one comes to mind: INTJ "Intelligent" Myth

Edit: I see you did post there; from ~ post 500 - 600 are some topical entries