• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do NTs have trouble with homework?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am supposed to be doing it now, but I can't concentrate for more than a few minutes. My mind keeps going off on tangents and thinking about things I find more interesting.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who doesn't? >.>

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People do homework? :shock:

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Believe me. I really wish I didn't have to do it. I'm not going to get it all done and I'm going to hand it in late. And then fail school.

Tecla

MBTI Type
INTP
I always hated it, but I still managed to get most of it done. I would normally wake up an hour before school and rush through it all, then finish it up in other classes.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I've found that NTs have trouble with any work that they find to be trivial and menial.

NTPs especially have trouble doing homework that does not appeal to their particular interests or pique their creativity/curiosity.

NTJs have trouble doing homework that they cannot see as directly useful to their broader aims/goals.

Usually, it's not a matter of being intellectually capable of doing the homework. It's a matter of being interested in the homework enough to let the homework take away from other tasks in which the NT could be engaged.

I know that I personally put off tedious work until the very last minute because I find that it takes away from the other things in which I'm interested. I know that it's necessary to do the homework to contribute positively to my grade in the class, but that's often not enough of a reason to put every ounce of effort into work that I find menial/boring.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I always hated it, but I still managed to get most of it done. I would normally wake up an hour before school and rush through it all, then finish it up in other classes.

same

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do my homework when it's already due and I'm inside the classroom and the teacher's asking for it.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I did that too.

Now I'm at university, I wake up at the crack of dawn to get the assessment in by 2 PM.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I am supposed to be doing it now, but I can't concentrate for more than a few minutes. My mind keeps going off on tangents and thinking about things I find more interesting.
Did you fix the home work?
No.
Another person did.
Why?
It was her duty.

Is her duty your duty?

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yes. I always tested well, and I was usually fine with big assignments (essays, etc.), but day-to-day homework, I seldom bothered with.

S

sammy

I do all of my homework. But, if I can get extensions, hellzya I will wait to do it past a "deadline."

I get bored and distracted easily when the work is menial or tedius, as Teslashock stated above.

You can pull the horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
In high school the work was usually trivial enough that when pressed (the morning of/night before) I could get through it. But because it wasn't a high priority, I would often forget I had homework entirely, not turn it in, and get detention (catholic schools are serious...). But at least the tests kept me in the A range so the only noticeable effect was that I made friends with the potheads in detention.

The same thing would happen in college but the effects were a lot worse. Not turning in a problem set (or half of one) in some classes could drop you half a letter grade or more. Plus, the prof now thinks you are a slacker. Took me way too long to fix this. (Fix involves tons of coping mechanisms, including signage and about 3 calendar reminders for everything.)

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't have trouble with homework, I have trouble doing them.

I always plan to do them ahead of time, but I always end up doing them at the last minute. This had caused me to get subpar grades which made me want to kick myself (too bad i'm not flexible enough).

One of the class that I hated taking this semester is Art Appreciation....waste of my time imho. Should have waited to take drawing since it was filled up when I tried to sign up...at least that will teach me a skill. Furthermore, I like to draw so I would probably enjoy taking it.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I don't have trouble with homework, I have trouble doing them.

I always plan to do them ahead of time, but I always end up doing them at the last minute. This had caused me to get subpar grades which made me want to kick myself (too bad i'm not flexible enough).

One of the class that I hated taking this semester is Art Appreciation....waste of my time imho. Should have waited to take drawing since it was filled up when I tried to sign up...at least that will teach me a skill. Furthermore, I like to draw so I would probably enjoy taking it.

Yeah, art appreciation is a lot like history - lots of memorization, reading, you need the context to understand, etc. I highly recommend drawing if you're into it already. The hardest part of course is that you might be in there with a lot of amazing art majors, so if you're used to being at the top, you will quickly be humbled. :)

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, art appreciation is a lot like history - lots of memorization, reading, you need the context to understand, etc. I highly recommend drawing if you're into it already. The hardest part of course is that you might be in there with a lot of amazing art majors, so if you're used to being at the top, you will quickly be humbled. :)

I'm already in art appreciation :cry: and I missed the drop date so i'm stuck :doh:. I wanted drawing because I've always had a passion for it. But, it's not something I would do for a living. I'm actually trying to major in either engineering or physic.

zimmy99

MBTI Type
INTP
I never had trouble with homework, I just hardly didn't do any ;). Usually it was enough to read the books during class and occasionally listen to the teacher. I had decent grades.

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes... Yes we do. Book-smarts don't count for squat when your English teacher is artsy, which they frequently are. Also, missing one key element of arithmetic can kill you in algebra later, which throws any form of intelligence or predisposition thereto out the window. I know that was incredibly self-focused, but the most accurate information is that of a first-hand experience.