• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs: Question!

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
What do you do to get an ENTP to REALLY like you? I don't necessarily mean romantically, but just really like you in general.

I can also turn this around and say, what do you (ENTPs) really like in people?

What makes you feel/know that you can trust someone? What makes you want to keep someone in your life?

What REALLY annoys you? What do you do when you're annoyed with someone/don't want to talk to them?

If you don't want to talk to someone, would you tell them? Ignore them?

What do you do when you really like someone? (again, not necessarily romantically)

Do you find yourself communicating with friends first, or wait for them to communicate with you?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you do to get an ENTP to REALLY like you? I don't necessarily mean romantically, but just really like you in general.

To put it generally I really like to have fun. Specifically I really like playing games (board, card, video, etc...), but other ENTP's probably have other things they consider fun. Having fun is really high priority for me though.

What makes you feel/know that you can trust someone? What makes you want to keep someone in your life?

That is a pretty different question. Generally it takes time for me to trust a person and even then it's rare. The main thing for me is to first understand how a person communicates, and then I need to see how well their behavior fits their actions. How selfish or altruistic a person is also matters.

What REALLY annoys you? What do you do when you're annoyed with someone/don't want to talk to them?

Boredom is annoying. I prefer to avoid it.

Depends on why I don't want to talk to them. If they are boring then I just avoid them. Otherwise I just tell them what my problem is with them. If their problem is really with someone close to me then I just ignore them.

What do you do when you really like someone? (again, not necessarily romantically)

Do you find yourself communicating with friends first, or wait for them to communicate with you?

This can vary (on both questions). I tend to vary my response to see how people react.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

You shouldn't do anything just for the purpose of getting an ENTP (or anyone for that matter) to like you. Just be yourself.

Don't pass a car in the fast lane if you don't plan on maintaining speed.

I like people who are dynamic and who bring a wide variety of interests to the table. If you are very intelligent, I'll probably worship you behind your back.

Spontaneous is always a plus too. I'm not too fond of forced structure and routine.

Oh, and self-confidence with a slight dose of humility and a willingness to accept that his/her perspectives may not be completely flawless.

I feel like I can trust somebody if they make a point from the beginning of the relationship to exemplify their honesty. If someone seems evasive or unable to answer provocative questions, then I start to become suspicious. It really doesn't take too much for me to trust; I typically trust until I've found out that a lie has been told. After that, it can be kind of hard, but that's only natural.

I want to keep anyone in my life who is honest, sincere, and enjoyable to be around. They don't have to be superior in any realms or offer me any direct benefit other than a few moments of pleasure. I'm really not that picky.

I'm more likely to actively not want certain people in my life than I am to want them. I keep anyone around until they've shown me that they have the ability and are willing to utilize the ability to harm me in some fashion.

Staunchly affirming opinions as though they are facts.

The inability to understand that there's not always only one perspective that's worth consideration.

Just overall intolerance towards that which is different and the headstrong urge to never accept fault.

Oh, and I really don't like being blindly bossed around or attempts at controlling me. If you willfully close a door, I'll hold deep resentment towards you.

And if I'm annoyed with someone and don't want to talk, I generally just respond in curt, one-word/one-sentence answers to questions, rather than the typical thorough elaboration. I think that I'm particularly sensitive to people being overly critical and judgmental of my (rather atypical) views, so if I've picked up on a closed-minded vibe, then I'm going to become pretty annoyed and subsequently withholding.

I probably wouldn't tell them then and there, in person (though I'd probably say something like that to someone who is annoying me online). I would just kind of hint at it, and if they didn't get the picture, then I'd find some excuse to exit the conversation and avoid future interaction with them.

I get mildly clingy and start trying to prove myself (but not in an overly enthusiastic way) to them in order to gain their respect. This is a lot more subtle, however. I don't like to let on how much I really like people until I've figured out that they also respect me. It kind of becomes a competition revolved around who is "weak" enough to first disclose their feelings (romantic or otherwise).

Usually I'm the one that calls up friends to chill or talk.

And if there's a problem between a friend and me, I'm usually the one to initiate a conversation about it. I have trouble just letting things ride.

If I have a personal problem that doesn't directly involve the person in question, then I don't typically initiate a conversation about it. I usually only talk about it if I'm asked directly.

Qre:us

Be yourself, and let the ENTP decide if that is their cup of tea.

If you fake it, you'll forsake it.

That there is some thing about that person to be curious about. Some new outlook, some kind of challenge, some kind of inquiry, some kind of contemplation, some kind of humour, that they pique in me. Their energy is something that I'm drawn to, not repelled from.

If I'm in the mood, I can always find an angle of intrigue in another person, place or thing.

I generally like quirks in people.

What makes you feel/know that you can trust someone?

A vibe and that what they say is consistent with their actions in such a way, where unpredictability is cool, awesome even, but, unaccountability is not.

What makes you want to keep someone in your life?

They challenge some aspect of me, to progress, to grow.

Inconsistency, cruelty, willful (righteous) ignorance, conscious arrogance that's not meant to be sardonic, moral compass gone bonkers, those who try to demand, give me orders, tell me what to do (i.e., control), those who try to manipulate me in some way, those who are overly dramatic/theatrical with their emotions (subjective to my level of tolerance), those who are unwilling to be open to hearing my points of view, those who don't think about the global consequence of their actions, reactions and/or inactions.

Depending on my position and/or social distance with the other person, I will either not bother (just make sure to avoid them - they're outta sight, outta mind, at that point), find an angle to make my point surreptitiously known (if diplomacy is needed, e.g., coworkers/boss), or like with friends and romantic partners, tell them nicely once, see if their subsequent actions show that they comprehend, and if they don't, tell them twice, a bit more forcefully, and if still it doesn't sink in, I tell them a third time with an explicit consequence from my end, attached to it. If they still fail, I carry out my previously outlined consequence.

If it is a friend, yes. If it is an aquaintance, I will most likely ignore.

They get my "undivided" attention, paradoxically mixed in with a bit of distance from me (as I'm afraid at that point, that I may scare them away, so I keep saying to myself, "pace yourself, give them space")...so it might look like a confusing mess of push-pull at the beginning, but I find a balance soon enough. I also show them the "best parts of me" while throwing in some warts of mine, here and there, to gauge if they genuinely like me back.

Mostly, they communicate with me, but it's not conscious on my part, my lack of communication. Sometimes, I just don't even realize how "long" a communication has been (time is not always a good indicator, for me). If I think of someone, like they pop into my head, I'll randomly communicate with them. There's no "turns" that I wait for, or anything. If I think about you and feel like sharing something, some moment, I'll open the line of communication.

It's not about how much or how little I like you - it's about my thoughts of the day, and wherever they may go.

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP

I actually think this is a very important distinction, so before I answer, I'd like to know that you're speaking in strictly general terms here.

I like a lot of people, but I'm not interested in a lot of people romantically.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I actually think this is a very important distinction, so before I answer, I'd like to know that you're speaking in strictly general terms here.

I like a lot of people, but I'm not interested in a lot of people romantically.

Didn't the OP explicitly state that the question was in regards to "general feelings" towards people, rather than "romantic feelings" specifically? Ie, liking somebody, but not specifically liking them romantically. Why are you confused about this?

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
Didn't the OP explicitly state that the question was in regards to "general feelings" towards people, rather than "romantic feelings" specifically? Ie, liking somebody, but not specifically liking them romantically. Why are you confused about this?

I'm not confused per se. Just reading between the lines since the OP said, "I don't necessarily mean romantically." One of the questions relates to what makes an ENTP want to "keep someone" in their life. So I'm giving the OP an opportunity to clarify if she has more than a platonic interest in a particular ENTP, because it will change the tone of my answer.

O

Oberon

Be willing to play ping-pong with ideas. Have ideas. Be spontaneous. Be willing to let him be spontaneous.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Be yourself, and let the ENTP decide if that is their cup of tea.

If you fake it, you'll forsake it.

Thats pretty much right.

Have a sense of adventure, and be curious about their life, then you will get their attention.

I am pretty much introverted and quiet around the opposite sex, so you have to make an intiative to talk.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can repeat what others said... be playful, happy, optimistic. Though if you need help, I'd prefer you ask me instead of pretending there's nothing wrong. I'll gladly help you, but I can't pick up hints. You can be skeptical on all my mad ideas, but don't tell it won't work without reason.
Having some strange hobbies and interests can help, too.

That I don't have to keep up good SF-ish appearances. If I forget your birthday, the fact that you have two (or was it three already?) children,... that's not a sign of me not liking you. Don't be offended. If I know you'll be offended when I'm just my enthousiastic forgetful self, I will be all stressed if I have to meet you. I'm nervous around aquaintances. If you don't mind me skipping the small-talk and move directly to the board/role-play game, you'll get promoted to my friend easily.
Just to be clear: you don't have to act NT-ish around me. As long as *I* don't have to act around you, I'm fine.

There's not a lot that would annoy me to the point I wouldn't want to talk with you. I remember being bullied by high-school friends classmates in such a subtle way that no-one knew there was bullying - even not the bullied one. So sometimes I got angry or wept for "no reason". But with hindsight I know it wasn't my fault, at least not all of it. Randomly liking me or hating me, accepting me in a group and then rejecting me.
I was always the bad one, the childish one, the overly emotional one who couldn't take a joke.

I've never stopped talking to somebody. If I'm annoyed with somebody, I would argue, I would try to pick apart what went wrong and analyse the whole situation until I understood where things went wrong and what I (and you) should do.

Invite them to a game of Settlers of Catan, go with them to the fun fair, the cinema or a concert,... in short, doing fun things together with them.

Like, "oh I haven't heard from Friend lately, I'll call him?" or do I get the phone calls or e-mails?
Well, it's quite evenly distributed. The ones I'm friends with don't require I call them every month or anything. Sometimes we don't hear from each other in almost a year... Mostly we write an e-mail when there's something up. That can range from "I'm pregnant" or "We're going to move, our new address is ..." to "We're going to that festival in that weekend, want to join?" or "I've revamped my website, check this out!"

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

Witty and enjoyable to be around. If yeu irritate me endlessly or can't keep up mentally, then why am I wasting my time on yeu?

Not many things annoy me; being ignored is one major one. Someone who is smug with nothing to back it up is one of the most irritating things there is. Generally I can tolerate being rude if it's done in a funny way, but I can't tolerate someone being rude who just has no justification for such and can't even do it in an entertaining fashion.

If I don't want to talk to yeu, I generally stop talking to yeu. Funny how that works >.>

Usually I find putting yeur hand over their mouth gets the message across quickly and concisely. Generally no reason to tell them straight out though, most people figure it out on their own pretty fast when yeu blatantly ignore them.

Make excuses to spend time with them. Entertainment is rare and I like to be entertained. Be it mental stimulation, fun, games, or whotever someone can provide, if they are able to stimulate me in some way I find beneficial, I will tend to provide them attention.

Do you find yourself communicating with friends first, or wait for them to communicate with you?[/QUOTE]

Depends, normally I wait for people to bug me first since I figure if they want to talk they will. If there's someone I'm particularly looking forwards to speaking with, I'll poke them first though.

After going through the questions though, I don't really think these were particularly adept at getting yeu the answers yeu're actually seeking.

VitaB

MBTI Type
ENTP
Be able to bounce ideas with you OR a complete mistery to me. I will spend years with you just so I could figure you out (it sounds like a very shallow relationship, but the curiosity is real and fascinating, which can turn into a real bond). You need to be open minded and self aware, or at least want to be.
Honesty is really important! I can read your mind.

proximo

I can only speak for myself, but...

Simple: keep me guessing. If I find you unpredictable, that's worth its weight in gold. I don't mean in the sense of flaky, neurotic, crazy etc, but I just mean that you react to things I say in ways I don't expect. Which is difficult, cos it means you've got to know what the parameters of what I expect actually encompass, which is quite a variety of things. But if you can even now and again do something that makes me laugh with appreciation at the sheer originality of it, you'll have won my heart, for one.

Directness, but not of the immature kind that thinks that it has a right to say anything just because it's "true" (in their opinion) - they need to recognise when "truth" isn't called for or solicited, and speaking it isn't constructive, just hurtful. Authenticity, a person who is what they are and doesn't try to be otherwise, I appreciate - be yourself and don't try to impress me. Energy and independence. Slipperiness... I know a guy who's like a sorta fairy/elf character, you know? Whatever I say, I try to pin him down, and he laughs and sidesteps everything, and makes me laugh with it, and he laughs at me though not in a cruel way, and it drives me crazy :wub:

When, over a period of time, they've done everything they've said they'd do, stood by everything they've said and taken responsibility when it turned out to be wrong, they've shown that they're capable of saying, directly, when they have a problem with something and haven't done the martyr act at any point, and kept every bargain I've made with them. When they've shown an openness and generosity of spirit and been consistent and constant in their dealings with me, and made as much effort to keep in touch with me as I have with them (rather than leaving me to always take the initiative, as so many do).

What REALLY annoys you?

People pretending to be something else to try to impress others. Snobbery, people thinking something about them makes them intrinsically better, morally or any other way, than someone else. Small-mindedness. Meanness both with material things and meanness of spirit. When somebody doesn't just trust that I'll do what I say I'll do, regardless of how many times I prove this to be the case, and they keep checking up on me, confirming, etc etc. Unwarranted pessimism - pouring cold water on plans, ideas, whatever.

What do you do when you're annoyed with someone/don't want to talk to them?

If it's a long-ish term thing, then first off, I tell them I'm annoyed and why. I use direct, clear and explicit, carefully chosen words that mean EXACTLY what they say on the tin. Though, I lace it with tact as much as I can without compromising truth and accuracy. If they're willing to talk about it, then I try to work with them to sort out the problem. If they react with hostility and defensiveness, and take it all personally, then I give up pretty quickly and just don't bother with them, and leave it up to them to come back when they're willing to reason. If that's never, so be it. I won't go creeping to them unless it can be clearly shown that I've done something that needs apologising for. Even then, if the person is still not willing to reason out about the problem between us, then whether they accept my apology or not, I still won't chase them up.

Ordinarily I'd say tell them. Always. Even when I know I shouldn't, I usually can't help myself. I thirst for clarity and openness so much, I can't usually stand to have things hushed up, swept under the carpet or whatever. If I have a problem with someone they will usually know about it pretty quickly. The only time I can think of when I might not tell them would be if experience had told me there's no point, that they're not likely to listen/be willing to reason, or whatever. If that's the case though, it's not going to be somebody I consider a friend - it'll be someone I have little respect or liking for, but have no choice but to deal with such as a colleague/superior etc.

If not romantically, then I tell them, straight up, either directly or, to avoid gushing and awkwardness and big emotional scenes, I'll tell them through maybe jokey understatements, or just by showing obvious willing and desire to keep their company, initiating contact and all that.

If romantically... well. I don't tend to tell them, if I can help it, not unless I have a good reason to believe that the feeling's mutual. If I do, then I do tell them, yes, pretty directly.

The latter, as implied above... I do get very tired of always being seen as the energetic, get-up-and-go one, and people looking to me to suggest things, think of things, nobody trying to do it themselves, just relying on me to always be the driving force behind a social circle. Hence why, when I meet someone who has their own energy/impetus and won't just suck mine, they quickly become very high in my regard.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I may venture a guess, I would say don't be a sad-sack.

This is only my perception, actual ENTPs may disagree. And of course they would know.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It varies, but we're rather gregarious people, it doesn't take all much for us to like you. Personally I value a good sense of humor, and intelligence. I prefer both, but I can and do hang out with regular people.

I generally trust people until they prove themselves not to be trustworthy. If I like a person, I'll keep them around.

What REALLY annoys you?
Utter, stubborn stupidity. Or doing something really dickish (sleeping with my girl for example).

I tell them to fuck off and stop talking to them.

Talk to them. Do stuff with them. What else would I do in that case? I'm personally a little shy about initially approaching people, though.

Depends. There are a few people I talk to every chance I get. Others whom I wait for them to come to me.