• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP and GOD

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
I been making a lot of thread lately, sorry if I annoy you but I like hearing feedbacks.

How well do INTP deal with god? My parents both believe in god so I also believed in god growing up but as I get older it's starting to fade away. My parents are worried about me and religion is stressing me out.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Belief has nothing to do with MBTI. Or your parents.

Faith is an intimate reconciliation with the unknowable. Your level of personal preference for data collection practices, and so forth.

My only suggestion is to avoid coming to a definitive conclusion. It's too big a question to force.

Their stress isn't yours.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It is difficult being an INTP and having a relationship with God. Most INTPs choose not to. Me on the other hand make it a more personal relationship.

I clearly don't take the Bible literally as my choice. The best place I had in renewing my relationship with God was out in nature at about 14 k feet. It didn't hurt that I nearly died in the process. I also like to study other bits and pieces of different philosophies and religions.

Ozzy26

MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of these questions you're asking don't really relate to MBTI at all. Not every INTP is going to deal with god in the same way, especially when you're looking at a degree of "how well" we do it ("how well" doesn't make much sense to me here anyways).

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
Belief has nothing to do with MBTI.

you have no idea how many years I been analyzing about god. Most of times I just say screw it and I'll deal with it later. I dunno my mind is going crazy cause I know god is real (I don't have facts, but if god wasn't real what is the point of life). If I believe god is real why don't I listen to anything god says? why do I sometimes question bible or religion is made up. I don't go to church, I feel uncomfortable in church and feel like I dont' belong with rest of them.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
A lot of these questions you're asking don't really relate to MBTI at all. Not every INTP is going to deal with god in the same way, especially when you're looking at a degree of "how well" we do it ("how well" doesn't make much sense to me here anyways).

just wondering if INTP can be very faithful to god or not since we need evidence and facts to prove something is real.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
you have no idea how many years I been analyzing about god. Most of times I just say screw it and I'll deal with it later. I dunno my mind is going crazy cause I know god is real (I don't have facts, but if god wasn't real what is the point of life). If I believe god is real why don't I listen to anything god says? why do I sometimes question bible or religion is made up. I don't go to church, I feel uncomfortable in church and feel like I dont' belong with rest of them.

Believe me, I understand. For a lot of people, what happens after death is the ultimate question; a means to satisfy curiosity and fear. Searching for the solution; therefore, must be done with the utmost precision, as the answer to what happens after life invariably shapes what you do with it.

The answer depends where you stand. How you think. You have to be careful to avoid buying into easy external advice. Things like church. Or the Bible.

Authority is earned. It is not found.

Just takes awhile to find it.

Ozzy26

MBTI Type
INTP
just wondering if INTP can be very faithful to god or not since we need evidence and facts to prove something is real.

Again though, that's completely on an individual basis. What is "sufficient evidence" for one INTP may not be sufficient for another. Its all based on who you are and your personal experiences.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My INTP and I are Christians, but we don't belong with the rest of them (around here anyway) either. But then, we don't seem to belong anywhere, really, except for our own little hideout. We make ourselves try church every now and then, but we usually hate it.

Getting up on a weekend morning, getting presentable, having to be there at a certain time, too much noise, too many people, person droning often about boring stuff or worse, trying to make you feel guilty over minor stuff, talking to people afterward, bunch of people leaving in their cars at once. Not fun.

We really live pretty much like evangelicals are supposed to, but we aren't political conservatives and we don't like going to church, so we are bad.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
I been making a lot of thread lately, sorry if I annoy you but I like hearing feedbacks.

How well do INTP deal with god? My parents both believe in god so I also believed in god growing up but as I get older it's starting to fade away. My parents are worried about me and religion is stressing me out.

(I don't believe, but if I did) I would think that god himself was an ENTP.

• P, he created the universe on a whim.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  • T, He's willing to let you fall flat on your face for the sake of learning a lesson.
  • N, Not so much evidence at this point. But I would say that an S would build tons of universes of all different shapes and qualities. An N would just create one and spend all his time watching it.
  • E. he made lots of angle buddies to pal around with him. Also, he treats heaven as a club where even us humans can eventually join (If he finds us cool enough;))

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe in God. Just that, I believe he's the supreme ruler not my friend but a must respected ruler.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was raised Catholic. I no longer believe in God, though I think such a thing is theoretically possible. Of course, I think it's only slightly more possible than vampires or fairies, which I also can't disprove. For me, it's not about what's believing is easier (I feel life would be easier and less scary if I believed in God), just what I feel is correct, generally based on many hours of collected reflection.

Of course, some time after giving up God (I became agnostic at a young age and more of an atheist years later), I found a sort of comfort in it. God is either deeply oppressive (my impression of most Gods of popular religion) or doesn't care (which means there's no point in placing faith or time in It either).

Also, if you say you "are Christian, but don't take things literally/interpret things for yourself", you aren't Christian. You're you-ist. To be honest, I don't see the point in assuming parts of the Bible are true and parts are. It's either all necessarily fallible (which makes one an agnostic, deist, or theist) or none of it is.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
. For me, it's not about what's believing is easier (I feel life would be easier and less scary if I believed in God), just what I feel is correct, generally based on many hours of collected reflection.

I've been given the opposite hints. Some call them chances and coincidences, I say not. This reality we have, I'd argue if its true. Life before birth, nonexistence, I lean to death for the answers to those.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Why wouldn't you believe in God?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why wouldn't you believe in God?

Because of the lack of logical consistency connecting the God concept and the "real" world. Possible but the generally known God conflicts with the natural laws of physics. It ruins what is true data.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, the burden of proof is on you. I have reasons why I don't believe in God, but the fact is that the best of them can't disprove God, because a negative cannot logically be proven. You are the ones who have to prove there is such a thing as God. I can say "I don't believe there's a teapot floating someplace between the Earth and Mars" (to steal Bertrand Russell's example) and you can say "why?" and I can say "well, no one's ever definitively seen it, there's no compelling evidence they exist, science and logic and empirical evidence provide no support for the idea, there may be good reason and motive for man to create such a fictitious myth, etc" and you'd say "That doesn't actually PROVE the teapot doesn't exist" and I'd have to say "this is true". The same logic applies to fantasy creatures or WMDs in Iraq. Should I believe in elves, then?

I certainly don't believe in a God that has a direct intervention in our lives or has provided anything like heaven. An apathetic creator, who takes no stock or care in our existence and doesn't provide ant afterlife or creates miracles, I guess I'm more open to that, but I don't see any good reason to just jump to that conclusion either.

That's a very brief response, of course. There are more nuanced arguments and philosophical contradictions related to the idea of God, especially the benevolent, active God.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, the burden of proof is on you. I have reasons why I don't believe in God, but the fact is that the best of them can't disprove God, because a negative cannot logically be proven. You are the ones who have to prove there is such a thing as God. I can say "I don't believe there's a teapot floating someplace between the Earth and Mars" (to steal Bertrand Russell's example) and you can say "why?" and I can say "well, no one's ever definitively seen it, there's no compelling evidence they exist, science and logic and empirical evidence provide no support for the idea, there may be good reason and motive for man to create such a fictitious myth, etc" and you'd say "That doesn't actually PROVE the teapot doesn't exist" and I'd have to say "this is true". The same logic applies to fantasy creatures or WMDs in Iraq. Should I believe in elves, then?

But what of this reality? Do you believe in it? Likewise, What is it's empirical evidence?

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You're talking, I suppose, about metaphysics and epistemology from a Cartesian standpoint. It's impossible to prove reality (as we see it) exists, it's true. I assume it does (as virtually all do), because it allows me to exist and gives me reason to act. So, no, I don't definitely know the world around me exists. That's a leap of faith. God is an additional leap, one I don't see any real reason to take.

And if we argue about whether, I don't know, some chair we can both see and feel really exists, we can and will never resolve it nor move any closer to resolving it. It'll break down to a useless argument. I guess one could argue the same about God, but that still leaves little other recourse than being a skeptic or an agnostic. As I noted before, technically I am an agnostic, I just feel God is less likely than likely for other reasons, so I call myself an atheist.

Also, by your same reasoning (these things, the reality we see and perceive is faulty but you still believe in God anyways, I guess based on nothing real), you may as well just believe in Harry Potter just because you feel like it.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose, about metaphysics and epistemology from a Cartesian standpoint.
I should remember those terms...

That's a leap of faith. God is an additional leap, one I don't see any real reason to take.
What is one leap? What is another?

Also, by your same reasoning (these things, the reality we see and perceive is faulty but you still believe in God anyways, I guess based on nothing real), you may as well just believe in Harry Potter just because you feel like it.

Yes, possible in another dimension. I believe things aren't as constricted by rules as we now see it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I stopped believing in God shortly after I learned that Sinterklaas (The Dutch Santa Clause) was fake. I was pretty young when I came to the conclusion that faith (in religion) is a silly concept (to me).

Growing up, dealing with religious community, friends and people though. I've learned to accept that it doesn't really matter wether you believe in God or not. If my friends wanted to believe in God, I would allow them to, and say it is their free will to do so.

But when I saw someone believing in God and then going in against some of its teachings, my heart would ache for them. Because, should I be proven wrong once I die, it will be more likely that I am going to heaven than they would. Whilest I put no effort in having faith, whereas they get frustrated trying to maintain their faith and fall victim to their frustrations from time to time and fall to 'sin'.

It's sad really.

Anyways, I'm an atheist, and I have been so since I can remember. And I can't imagine having a more stress free religion, in which I can promote the goodness I possess, directly from myself, and not through an omnipotent being.

This way of thinking is remarkable similar to Buddhism. "Shed yourself of your burdens. Religion, is a burden." Ironic, but in some cases, it has a point. Religion biases a many great deal of people, not in the way it was intended. :D