• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Are INTPs good drivers?

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Actually, the trait of extroversion has been associated with bad driving. I believe it's due to being risk takers, and possibly because they're more likely to be talking on cel phones or interacting with other people in the vehicle.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I drive very aggressively. I have pretty good spatial awareness. It's one of my favorite activities.

Like someone else said, I may not be a good driver, as I don't really obey most traffic laws, but in terms of operating my vehicle effectively I do just fine. GF says I'm an awful driver, but then I remind her that I've never plowed into somebody on an on ramp, and she shuts up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think INTP we are great defensive drivers. I like to understand potentially dangerous situations and be ready for a split second decision to swerve, change lanes, brake or accelerate.

Yup. That's really it, in a nutshell. I see not just what's around me, but also project ten seconds ahead into the future. I know where things WILL be and to what probability. There's just a big-picture spatial awareness. And I can skip all the non-essential details, I'm only focusing on the details that matter. I think this might be why it's easy for P's here... you only focus on the essentials, making it easier to keep up with events unfolding in real-time.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm too young to drive but...

Let me approach this question as an individual. (Pardon the "I's" and "Me's".)

I fear driving. Not because of the activity itself but that tendency of myself wanting to explore the possible consequences of each small factor that I think about. "I have this urge to bump into other cars." I have this urge to simply stop in the middle of the road. The problem with traffic driving(or as I call it) is that it imprisons the sets of actions I could take. That and my temporary 85% daily detachments.

Racing however fuels my belief in risk-taking...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I drive slow and people tend to tailgate me a lot. I also listen to music loudly and frequently sing along, allowing me to not pay attention to those people.

I do this and it annoys me so much. It scares me somewhat at night though, I've had a policeman do this to me at 4 am because he couldn't read my number plate, so now I suspect that any driver that tailgates me at night is a policeman :doh:

People have also worked out how I drive without being in the car with me too, and decided that it would be a bad idea to go on a road trip with me. It's not that I like to take risks for the adrenaline, but rather I take risks just to see for myself what will happen... out of sheer curiosity.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Yup. That's really it, in a nutshell. I see not just what's around me, but also project ten seconds ahead into the future. I know where things WILL be and to what probability. There's just a big-picture spatial awareness. And I can skip all the non-essential details, I'm only focusing on the details that matter. I think this might be why it's easy for P's here... you only focus on the essentials, making it easier to keep up with events unfolding in real-time.

To the bolded: I do this too, but I have to actively try very very hard to focus that much. Usually I'm just spacing out and not focused on anything to do with the road whatsoever.

To the underline: No spatial awareness hardly at all. Even if I'm focused on one part of the image in my scope of view, I have a hard time grasping what's outside of that one thing I'm focused on (and again, the focus in itself takes a lot of thought).

And then from the focusing on one part of my surrounding environment, I start imagining how this part of the environment will change (the car to the right of me could potentially swerve into my lane, get a flat tire, pass me, swerve off the road, have a heart attack, blow up, etc.), but then I completely lose grips on the other part of my environment (the car in front of me could be slamming on the breaks, but I might not see, because my effort in that moment is lost in la-la land picturing how the car to my right might swerve into my lane).

I think this exemplifies the main difference between ENTPs and INTPs, in a nutshell. INTPs can expend all their thought on the big picture and analyze that picture in depth, organizing all the different parts of it into a solidified internal structure (though still subject to increasing complexity and change) to predict how the environment might change with a fair amount of accuracy. Meanwhile, ENTPs think loosely about the big picture and loosely put things into an internal structure, but they focus too much on what could be, regardless of how likely this "could be" is, rather than analyzing the variables of the here and now, so they don't have enough mental energy to keep the internal structure stable, so it all falls apart and we get in a car wreck.

Yeah, ENTPs are definitely more likely to suck at driving, imho...

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I don't know who's a worse driver? My INTP friend or me?

I've been told by various family members, mother included (who seems to always have heart-attacks when in the passenger side) that I'm a scary driver..

INTP friend on the other hand? Ayayay.. I always imagine if there is some kind of side-panel protection as I scootch my way towards the center of her car.

INTJ friend is a pretty good driver. I think I'm one too, but it's subjective, since none of us has been in a *knock on wood,* ya know, thankfully. *makes sign of the cross.* :redface:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've had several moving violations (mostly speeding, though there were a couple others) and two accidents. One of the accidents was my fault but the other wasn't.

I am notorious among my friends and family (and many traffic law enforcement institutions) as a very aggressive, slightly reckless driver.

If by "good driver" is meant facility in controlling and operating a car, then I am definitely a good driver. If the term is taken to be a measure of one's adherence to the law, then no, I am most definitely not a good driver.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Best Functions for(following the rules/traffic etc.) Driving: Te, Si, and Se.

yupyupyup

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I actually got my license last saturday!
I think I'm a good driver in the way that I'm good at maneuvering the car and such.
BUT I do have trouble staying aware. Like I have to consciously force myself to be very very observant because normally i daze off all the time. It took me a long time to understand the system though and sometimes i get confused when the lanes get complicated. I think it's because I seriously never really watched what my parents were doing when they drove because it didnt interest me. so the whole idea was kind of foreign to me. It's definitely way out of my element, but i know i have the potential to be really good.

Cerridwen

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm fine as long as I don't pull a "Oh hey, look at that bird... I wonder what... OH CRAP!"

So, usually, I'm a good driver. And as of today, no tickets, dead people/animals, or damaged property.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
I drive ok, but it's different when I'm stressed. If I get lost and spend hour looking for some place I would start to drive really reckless. :steam:

I really shouldn't drive under stress cause I wouldn't even check my blind spot

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
So, usually, I'm a good driver. And as of today, no tickets, dead people/animals, or damaged property.

Hehe, I do that too. :D

I reassure myself at the end of every day that I: didn't crash, get a ticket, get my car stolen/stripped, etc...