• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs: Do you often put your foot in your mouth?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I myself have more times than I can count made some joke or offhanded comment in the wrong company that I later had a chance to regret; most recently I had a few too many Heinekens and I shouted out at a party (in response to a comment by someone else), "but how the hell can someone be happy in law school?" -- turns out 90% of those present were lawyers or law students. I hardly know any ENTPs in person myself, but the ones I've seen in books, movies and TV have a propensity to do that (Mal Reynolds and Sam Axe jump to mind), so I had a hunch this was an ENTP trait.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I myself have more times than I can count made some joke or offhanded comment in the wrong company that I later had a chance to regret; most recently I had a few too many Heinekens and I shouted out at a party (in response to a comment by someone else), "but how the hell can someone be happy in law school?" -- turns out 90% of those present were lawyers or law students. I hardly know any ENTPs in person myself, but the ones I've seen in books, movies and TV have a propensity to do that (Mal Reynolds and Sam Axe jump to mind), so I had a hunch this was an ENTP trait.

I used to, until I came to the conclusion that it's not the joke that's flawed... it's the listener.

If it's funny some of the time then it SHOULD be all the time. Context should not change a static statement.

Therefore, if yeu say something which was by all intents meant to be innocent, and someone takes offense, it's their fault for misinterpreting such. I can't help it that I can't read minds, and I can't help it that yeu are actively going out of yeur way to get pissed off.

I don't take guilt trips well, and someone going GRRRR at yeu for an innocent comment is guilt tripping in my opinion.

If yeu don't like it, toughbeans. I am not going to spend my life going insanely politically-correct and being uber-careful never to step on anyone's toes... it can't be done. If yeu want to get upset, yeu will. Period. If I said HELLO, someone could break into tears because they're uber-catholic and someone they knew just commited suicide so is going to hell and they made the association with HELL-o. Seriously, I can't be expected to predict everything, and it's not humanly possible anyway. While some slight tact should be used and a lil empathy at times, I honestly have almost nil for empathy so yeah, live with it XD

That being said...

How many dead babies does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

No, I don't have the answer, I've been tossing them at the ceiling all day and I keep missing. Is there some kind of trick to this, or a set number or whot?

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs are constantly blurting things out that should be kept to themselves. Dear God, it's rare that "I wish I would have said something" but I can't tell you how many times "I wish I hadn't said that."

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Hell yeah, sounds VERY familiar. I screw up more things by saying something then by not saying anything at all.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Daily, but luckily I have those around me to either clean up the mess, make me apologize (I can get pretty offensive if not stopped) and so on, but sometimes the moment is just too much to pass up.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I used to bite my toenails. Does that count?

S

sammy

Yeah, foot in mouth disease is something I was born with. Haven't found a cure yet, nor do I really want one.

Like Katsuni said, it's their problem for taking offense to everything blurted out innocently. We're not mindreaders, and screw you for offending me by your lack of humor. :D

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nope.

Glad to add to your data.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Dude, no one took offense to that. No one is happy in law school. They probably thought it was funny as hell.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
many many times.

"aww! *rubs stranger's belly* when's it due?"

"i'm not pregnant."

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think we can attribute this to our tertiary Fe- it's there, but most of the time (and especially earlier in life) it's not nearly as well developed as it could be.

"If it's funny some of the time then it SHOULD be all the time. Context should not change a static statement."

I agree completely, but unfortunately that isn't the case for a lot of people- and we ought to learn to realise/accept/accommodate that.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I think we can attribute this to our tertiary Fe- it's there, but most of the time (and especially earlier in life) it's not nearly as well developed as it could be.

"If it's funny some of the time then it SHOULD be all the time. Context should not change a static statement."

I agree completely, but unfortunately that isn't the case for a lot of people- and we ought to learn to realise/accept/accommodate that.

Here are the rules:
"Dude your mom is hot!" = Funny at her birthday.
"Dude your mom is hot!" = Not so funny at her funeral.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, I say stupid shit when I'm relaxed and having a good time. I'm getting better as I get older, though.

I don't say stupid shit in my professional life though. But I know that I inadvertently offend people on occasion due to my "I look bored by your presence" demeanor.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here are the rules:

i laughed.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well I may not be ENTP but foot in mouth certainly applies to me. I have learned in the real world and even more online that I am easily capable of antagonising people to the point where they hate me, and I really don't mean to! I just criticise too much and end up sounding like a bastard.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Not ENTP but I'm major foot in mouth. I've learned to ask first if I'm going to make a comment about something. "So do you know anyone who is an artist?" Rather than make a comment about an artist and have "Oh, wait, your MOM is an artist.. uh I meant something else"

This week:
Out for dinner with a new frend "It's so weird when there is a huge age difference in dating" then launch into a story about my sister. Her: "Yeah my bf I told you about was 20 years older than me" Luckily I had the excuse that my sister was in high school when there was a big age difference whereas she was in college.

Talking about how my family has heart disease and diabetes on both sides. "But we don't have cancer!" to my sister in law whose mom died of cancer a few years ago. I realized a split second after I said it.

I'm awesome.

/nonENTP

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Here are the rules:

That's because the situation has changed. Fortunately this is easily remedied.

"Dude your mom WAS hot!" - correct usage at a funeral.

Unless yeu're implying necrophilia jokes to try to break tension at a funeral. For some reason those don't seem to work, I've yet to discover why though. Obviously more testing is required.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ENTPs were even born with their feet in their mouths. It's why they're super dumb. No oxygen getting to the brain.