• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] lazy INTP

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
I'm so lazy about stuff I don't care about. How do you guys motivate yourself to do work? I feel like I'm the only INTP who's uneducated. school was just easy for me, but it doesn't mean I studied or even care to remember any of those stuff.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
i have a hard time knowing how to motivate inxp's in general. especially the thinking ones. they are just so hard to read and don't share all information. and i get the feeling they already have the answer within themselves - they just need it to be confirmed. don't know. just my perspective.

all i know is that momentum is really important. since it's hard for intp's to "just do it", it's important to keep momentum up. and my intp keeps lists of "boring stuff" to do, just to get them done. he's a bit paranoid about being unproductive sometimes.

also, everything you say about school is true for my guy as well.

i'll be listening in...
EDIT: when i do manage to motivate them, i have no idea how i did it. they just snapped up something i said.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You need to work out specific reasons as to why you should do that work. I know that I wont clean my room or shave or anything unless I fully understand why I should do it.

You know how so many people can never let themselves be bored? They have to do something fun and exiting at all times, or their hearts might stop functioning... The more boring things you get done, the less you feel the need to seek pleasure. All of the greatest people in our society became great by doing 'boring' things, like michael jackson who practiced the moonwalk continually or Albert Einstein who built general relativity and won a nobel prize.

I'm not saying it's easy to do this, I'm just saying that the boring things in life really do count for something.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
quit drinking that will even decrease ur average post per day count on online forums

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I have to work up a lot of self-hatred in order to get myself to do stuff I normally do not want to do. If I don't work out I will be undesirable to my partner. If I don't do well in school I will be stupid. If I don't get these invoices done I will be inept and incompetent. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but it's really the only thing that works.

INTPs, first and foremost, must believe they are doing something because they want to. If they feel forced by another they won't do it. They will, even irrationally and against all logic, be compelled to disobey. If they cannot see why they should want to do something, they won't, so that's what you have to try to do. Show the INTP why he wants to do something.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Major life crisis act as a motivation. So do broken hearts. Also just throw yourself into something and you might notice you are able to go into auto pilot to point B after your in point A.

INTP ruts are horrible, like writers block...get the fuck out of that head space...run...now!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to work up a lot of self-hatred in order to get myself to do stuff I normally do not want to do. If I don't work out I will be undesirable to my partner. If I don't do well in school I will be stupid. If I don't get these invoices done I will be inept and incompetent. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but it's really the only thing that works.

INTPs, first and foremost, must believe they are doing something because they want to. If they feel forced by another they won't do it. They will, even irrationally and against all logic, be compelled to disobey. If they cannot see why they should want to do something, they won't, so that's what you have to try to do. Show the INTP why he wants to do something.

Are we really that selfish? I do stuff I don't want to because others need me to all the time. I draw the line at stuff I neither want to do and I feel there is no pressing need to do. I decline a lot of invitations for that reason. It's funny, when I tell people I am lazy, they never believe me, because I can get so much done when I want to and have the energy. I just rarely want to. And there is no amount of persuading that will make me want what I do not want.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp

agree 100%, I have to do it cause I WANT TO, which is one of the reasons my gpa isn't so high.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Are we really that selfish? I do stuff I don't want to because others need me to all the time. I draw the line at stuff I neither want to do and I feel there is no pressing need to do. I decline a lot of invitations for that reason. It's funny, when I tell people I am lazy, they never believe me, because I can get so much done when I want to and have the energy. I just rarely want to. And there is no amount of persuading that will make me want what I do not want.

This is sort of what I mean. While sure, if there is a pressing need for something to be done, we'll do it, but once again, who is defining when that need becomes pressing? We do :D But generally, we need to reach our own conclusions, come to our own decisions. We can't really accept things told by others that don't make sense to us. In this way we can be pretty stubborn.

I was really trying to paraphrase this, but did so rather unsuccessfully :

INTP.org Profile said:
Independence, derived primarily from strongly introverted Thinking, leads to perhaps the most difficult aspect (for others) of the INTP, namely stubbornness. If an INTP is pushed into doing something he will automatically resist. The reason for the resistance is simply that any action must first be filtered by the Ti, guided by the Ne. He must be given the chance to reach an independent decision, approving or rejecting the action. Hence, he must withdraw to allow the analysis process to work. If withdrawal is not allowed then stubborn resistance is the inevitable result. However, others may not always find the INTP excessively stubborn, since the decision-making process can sometimes be rapidly accelerated when intuition takes the upper hand. The best way to get an INTP to do something is to suggest the idea as an option and let him sleep on it. Ultimately, the INTP must always believe that it is his decision. Once he is satisfied that the decision was independently reached, then he is content.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
hey intps sound a lot like istps, we only do stuff when we feel like it

do you guys have the same desire for adrenaline rushes as well? (ex: close shaves to accidents)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

do you guys have the same desire for adrenaline rushes as well? (ex: close shaves to accidents)

I personally do, but my N/S dichotomy is weak [meaning they're pretty close]. It will probably be a matter of preference. IxTPs can often mistake themselves for each other.

Ozzy26

MBTI Type
INTP
My N is incredibly strong and I still feel the need for adrenaline rushes. How strong that need is compared to an ISTP I don't know, but they're great to make things interesting once in awhile.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Not really. I'm not averse to dangerous or fast-paced activities as a matter of course (it's sort of dependent on my mood at the time), but do not personally seek them out or purposefully disregard safety or anything like that. Similarly, I could not have any action-packed moments for a very long time and not particularly missed it.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
I almost feel the same. But I have this drive to LEARN MORRRRE which is why I'm going to college. I guess I probably forced myself to have it

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is sort of what I mean. While sure, if there is a pressing need for something to be done, we'll do it, but once again, who is defining when that need becomes pressing? We do :D But generally, we need to reach our own conclusions, come to our own decisions. We can't really accept things told by others that don't make sense to us. In this way we can be pretty stubborn.
True. But only because we know best. ;)

Totes! We just have a higher proportion of accidents to close shaves. :D