• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] The importance of reviewing the past?

Illict91

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I have begun University and a new job after taking two holidays, being a recent school leaver. It never really sank in.

Lately I just seem to be constantly remembering the past and analysing it, from all parts of my life especially school.

It is stressing me out because I seem to get these bouts of nostalgia, then come to these "realisations" about things I never considered or feel angst for certain people's actions.

It sounds silly because these thoughts can be controlled, but it is just a matter of association i.e this thing/person reminds me of that.

What is the purpose of looking at the past based on your experience?

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Depression can be viewed as being stuck in the past and analyzing it. And the purpose of depression is to find a solution to some problem. Why else would one review past experiences if not to find a way towards a better life? It doesn't matter if the past experiences were bad or good, it still hinders the engagement of present life or the present reality.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
It is stressing me out because I seem to get these bouts of nostalgia, then come to these "realisations" about things I never considered or feel angst for certain people's actions.

Introspection, to me, is a good thing, the understanding that needs to happen in some situations. I know some people who think it is pointless, you cannot change anything, so why worry? That however, is not my view. Learning from your past and figuring out Truth, whether it be motivations, justifications, lies, situations, etc., is vital for not repeating the same situation.

I also think that everything comes down the actual person. No, you cannot help how others acted in the past, but you can try to understand how and why you reacted a certain way, and then learn from that. Blame never really enters into it for me because I see no point in it. It doesn't help me, it makes me stagnant.

It sounds silly because these thoughts can be controlled, but it is just a matter of association i.e this thing/person reminds me of that.

I make sure that I try to understand the past, I respect it. However, I have learned over the years not to live there. Once I understand the Truth (or perhaps my Truth) of the past it becomes a spring board toward my future.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The past has a tendency to relive itself, simply because people forget and do not learn from it. However, there is a difference between analyzing and learning from the past, and longing for the past. The latter is not useful at all.

Illict91

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Not depression

Depression can be viewed as being stuck in the past and analyzing it. And the purpose of depression is to find a solution to some problem. Why else would one review past experiences if not to find a way towards a better life? It doesn't matter if the past experiences were bad or good, it still hinders the engagement of present life or the present reality.

Those that are depressed feel a sense of inadequacy, whatever that may be, it is not necessarily the past that they are considering.

It is a stage in my life where I never had a chance to consider what had happened, as everything moved too quickly.

It is a good point you raise, it can hinder one's attention to the present.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
past is a guiding post, not a hitching post

as long as you understand that, you're good

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
^what thisGuy said

If we forgot everything that constitutes the past (relatively what is no longer "now"), we would have no point to base ourselves from, correct? I try to spend the least amount of time analyzing the past - yeah, you can smile at the good times, but I'm willing to make even better times. I'll have time to reminisce some other day (the one I die on). So, yes, do look to the past and learn from it, but remember: the past tense is the least changeable.

sculpting

past is a guiding post, not a hitching post

as long as you understand that, you're good

yes. This is essential. I find that I do have to slow down enough to listen to the lessons learned from the past-they form rules to give me guidance. For me this is extremely important for Fi life lessons. I have to feel them, think about them, and grow from them.

But then I have to move on. I take the lesson learned and follow the new rule I just learned-or I have the freedom to make an alternate choice altogether and branch into a new area of exploration.

I am not defined, bound or limited by my Si lessons, just use them as guides.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'd argue induction is necessary rational. Judgments based on experience are fallible, sure, but it is all we mortals have. Probability is a surer guide than possibility, so stick with the evidence. Woulda coulda shoulda will just lead to paralysis by analysis.