• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do I make myself do things?

Note

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm sitting in my computer chair at 1 am and I have a paper due tommorow. I can't for the life of me start doing it, I'm just so goddamn lazy. Whenever I think about the process of writing it, my mind just shuts down and says "no". It's like I'm fighting with myself.. jesus. Help please, have any other NTs had similar experiences?

Note

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
if i don't do this research paper, i'll get a bad grade, which has far reaching implications.

JohnRWillis

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm trying to do the same for a Philosophy class which I really don't care about, but I need a humanities credit. Though in my case I'm almost done, and it's not due 'till Tuesday.

I guess I'm just a better person than you.

Unless you need your internet connection for research or something, unplug.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If that's not enough motivation for you? Cut out the distractions!

Back in the day, before computers were widely available, people wrote papers by hand. If the computer distracts you, maybe get yourself into an environment with less distractions and chain yourself there with a pen and paper.

Or maybe just break it into pieces? Maybe writing an outline on paper will give you something to work from. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part--the rest falls like dominoes. So if you can find a starting point like an outline, you may find yourself blitzing through the rest.

Note

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
i'm too lazy to turn off the distractions too

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
K, I'm not an NT, but you sound desperate.

I srsly wanted to quit grad school for a while. I was sick of writing papers and doing everything else. So, one day I convinced myself I was going to quit the next day because I had been putting off writing this huge research paper that was due. But what I decided to do instead was just to allow myself to do a half-ass job writing it; even turn it in late; anything was better than not doing it at all and getting an F. I 'allowed' myself to get a bad grade, but to just turn something in. And that made all the difference for me. I got it done and it was pretty good in the end, after all.

Edit: Just start writing anything you can. Teachers can be pretty lenient sometimes. It's amazing the crap they can take and still give you a good grade for. Any effort is better than FAIL>

P

Phantonym

I'm sitting in my computer chair at 1 am and I have a paper due tommorow. I can't for the life of me start doing it, I'm just so goddamn lazy. Whenever I think about the process of writing it, my mind just shuts down and says "no". It's like I'm fighting with myself.. jesus. Help please, have any other NTs had similar experiences?

Obviously, I'm not an NT. However, I have it exactly the same way. My mind shuts down as well and I fight gruesome battles with myself. What has helped me before was that I just started doing things despite my reluctance. It's important to get over that initial disgust. Once I start doing what I'm supposed to be doing, I can concentrate my mind on it and get into it so that it becomes "interesting" enough for me to be able to finish it.

Small steps, seriously, less thinking about how negative the whole experience will be, that's not going to help. Try to remove all the immediate distractions around you, it might help.

Edit: Yup, what peeps have already said here.

Note

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
fuuuuuuck oh my god i don't want to do this so much

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you aren't missing crap. i'm going to bed too, so the fun will be ending here shortly. :laugh:

Note

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
even if i start doing it now, it'll be of really poor quality. i think i'll just take a sick day and turn it in the next day..

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

Hey!

Check this. I used to all my papers the night before. 10 pages, 20 pages. No sweat. You got this.

First of all. Relax. It's not the end of the world.

Second of all. Relax.

Third. Close your web browser. Open Word and start typing. Don't worry about editing. Just flow like you were rapping about some deep academic shit. Your subconscious mind has already been working on this in the background while you were putting it off. Trust me. I am an expert. Let it do its thang.

Just start typing. It will work. I promise. Don't stop. Just type. Before long you'll have some shit you can edit and tighten up. Relax. Don't stop. Just type. It will work. Prove me wrong.

You got this. Go now.

You got this.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
even if i start doing it now, it'll be of really poor quality. i think i'll just take a sick day and turn it in the next day..

Work till you get it done. If you still need time, THEN call in sick. Get started.

You got this.

Note

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
my sleep schedule is fucked up as it is and the last few days were the first in months when i actually slept more than 7 hours a day. this will ruin everything, but whatever, i'll do it

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
my sleep schedule is fucked up as it is and the last few days were the first in months when i actually slept more than 7 hours a day. this will ruin everything, but whatever, i'll do it

Now you're talking. It will be fine. Just get started. If you do what I say and I'm still wrong, I will punch myself in the dick.