• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Solving a Rubik's cube

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Would it be an NT thing or an ST thing? I'm pretty bad at them.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
It would be a combination of extreme boredom and a conveniently placed nearby rubik's cube thing.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think in most cases it has less to do with ingenuity and more to do with someone teaching you. My old roommate (probably ESXP) was great at them. But yeah, I doubt personality type plays any kind of significant role.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've mastered the rubix cube. It's not that hard actually. Many different patterns according to many different movements. It takes a while though to get the hang of it.

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
My NT husband loves the Rubik's cube. I think it's impressive, but I would never waste my time memorizing the codes. My ST friend was obsessed with it too, so I'm inclined to think it is a "T" thing.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
First of all, the Rubik's cube is a child's toy which anyone given enough time and the proper instruction can learn.

Second of all, one can find a myriad of videos and instructional articles detailing the solution to the Rubik's cube.

I can solve a standard 3x3 cube in two minutes or so, and a 4x4 in about twice that time, although I haven't solved or owned a Rubik's cube for some time now.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it is a "able to memorize visual codes" thing. So it is a thing for someone who is either has a good deal of natural talent for that thing or someone who has a little bit of talent for it and is obsessed with being able to do it.... so yeah, probably more common for T types.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
My NT husband loves the Rubik's cube. I think it's impressive, but I would never waste my time memorizing the codes. My ST friend was obsessed with it too, so I'm inclined to think it is a "T" thing.

Waste time? There are about eight simple algorithms for you to remember. You can learn it in one good session.

Then again, you're an NF...

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh yes, to answer your question: It would be an "NT thing." Solving a Rubik's cube requires analytical abilities which come more naturally to NTs.

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yes, Lex, a waste of time for me because I find it difficult to do things that don't contribute to a big picture that has some greater purpose. I don't think other people are wasting their time — it could be a great mental exercise for them. I don't judge them poorly for it. I would just rather assume that I could memorize the algorithms and instead spend those minutes obsessing over the future or how to improve a relationship of mine. Others might consider that a waste of time. I guess it's an INFJ thing.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, Lex, a waste of time for me because I find it difficult to do things that don't contribute to a big picture that has some greater purpose. I don't think other people are wasting their time — it could be a great mental exercise for them. I don't judge them poorly for it. I would just rather assume that I could memorize the algorithms and instead spend those minutes obsessing over the future or how to improve a relationship of mine. Others might consider that a waste of time. I guess it's an INFJ thing.

So everything you do must contribute toward a "greater purpose"?

I take it you don't spend much time reading books, watching films, going on vacations, celebrating holidays, or viewing irrelevant personality forums, then?

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, most things I consciously set time apart for contribute to a greater purpose from my view. I like to read because I feel that good books build character, but if I don't feel it's moving in that direction, I don't finish the book. True that I don't watch TV or movies. I do go on vacations if I feel like I need to relax so I can become more efficient when I return. I feel like this forum can help me better understand the people around me, which is a great thing for the big picture of life.

I just joined the board today, and let's just say that I'm not surprised to already be defending myself against an INTJ. And all because I don't want to spend time figuring out the Rubik's cube. What a shame.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, most things I consciously set time apart for contribute to a greater purpose from my view. I like to read because I feel that good books build character, but if I don't feel it's moving in that direction, I don't finish the book. True that I don't watch TV or movies. I do go on vacations if I feel like I need to relax so I can become more efficient when I return. I feel like this forum can help me better understand the people around me, which is a great thing for the big picture of life.

I just joined the board today, and let's just say that I'm not surprised to already be defending myself against an INTJ. And all because I don't want to spend time figuring out the Rubik's cube. What a shame.

Basically, you act according to underlying conditions. Welcome to the sane world!

letsplaytwister

I'm an INFP, and I love Rubick's Cubes. I just love puzzles in general, especially word-related ones. I love discovering patterns and how those patterns can be used as a general concept to solve a puzzle, which is exactly what the Rubick's Cube is about.

I've always had strong leanings toward NT though, even if NF wins out in the end.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Took me 1,5 years to figure the damn thing out.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
When I was about 8, I peeled all the stickers off and reapplied them so it looked like I solved it. My parents thought I was a genius...they've been very disappoined ever since.

dorcus0

MBTI Type
INTP
Rubik's cubes (3x3s, at least) have been analyzed to completion. It's doable to understand it the way I understand tic-tac-toe. If you want a better test of intellect (as well as hours of practice and rote memorization), I might suggest you play chess instead.

Instead of pulling off the stickers off of Rubik's cubes and reattaching them, I pulled the cubes off and reattached them. It was cool to look at the inside of a rubik's cube to see how it worked.

Damn, now I want to take apart a 4x4 rubik's cube.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you call a person who got hold of a well scrambled Rubik's cube for the first time and solved it in less than 6 minutes? memory or speed of thought process?