-Zhuangzi

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Uncertain catastrophes happen all the time. A guy was murdered very near where I live a few weeks ago; the perpetrator didn't know him; he was just a rando to a disturbed individual. That's not a reason for me to go through life constantly pissing my pants in fear and demanding that people should no longer be able to walk on the streets without permits or some nonsense. It's not even trading freedom for security, it's trading freedom for nothing. That shit doesn't guarantee security, because nothing does.

Yeah, I was afraid at first, but I got over it and got on with my life.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

phallus impudicus

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Owl View Post
    Perfectionism is the most sublime encarnation of self-torture.
    I recently posted elsewhere: "The greatest pathology is perfectionism."
    Likes Tiger Owl liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I recently posted elsewhere: "The greatest pathology is perfectionism."
    Perfectionism is fine as long as there is an understanding that you will never achieve perfection. I does, however, lead one to improvement.
    The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience.

Ieyasu Tokugawa

phallus impudicus

Quote Originally Posted by Madboot View Post
    Perfectionism is fine as long as there is an understanding that you will never achieve perfection. I does, however, lead one to improvement.
    If you understand that it cannot be achieved, then you have also accepted that it does not exist. Therefore, striving for it is pathological.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If you understand that it cannot be achieved, then you have also accepted that it does not exist. Therefore, striving for it is pathological.
    Only if you think the destination is the point. The journey is real point.
    The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience.

Ieyasu Tokugawa

phallus impudicus

Only if you think the destination is the point. The journey is real point.
    Although I do not think that what you are saying is pointless, I think you may be missing my point. I'm not sure that I can articulate it with appropriate clarity though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Although I do not think that what you are saying is pointless, I think you may be missing my point. I'm not sure that I can articulate it with appropriate clarity though.
    I think I do understand what your trying to say, and it is certainly relevant. I would be very easy to be get stuck, so to speak, and end up in an endless frustrating pursuit of the unattainable goal. And I'm not sure I know how to explain myself clearly, but there is a mental place where you hold up the ideal and strive for it, knowing you won't get there. But it's not frustrating, but humbling instead. But along with this path, one must learn to celebrate the achievements that are made. Perfection is the unattainable goal, but there are attainable goals along the path. If that makes any sense at all.

I apologize. You may have caught me in a Ni mood. And I know that isn't logical or very explainable outside my own head sometimes.

Ieyasu Tokugawa

phallus impudicus

I think I do understand what your trying to say, and it is certainly relevant. I would be very easy to be get stuck, so to speak, and end up in an endless frustrating pursuit of the unattainable goal. And I'm not sure I know how to explain myself clearly, but there is a mental place where you hold up the ideal and strive for it, knowing you won't get there. But it's not frustrating, but humbling instead. But along with this path, one must learn to celebrate the achievements that are made. Perfection is the unattainable goal, but there are attainable goals along the path. If that makes any sense at all.

I apologize. You may have caught me in a Ni mood. And I know that isn't logical or very explainable outside my own head sometimes.
    No apologies, I speak Ni well enough (usually) and understood what you were saying.

For me, the closest thing to perfection is a frame of mind that can be had in an instant with an intentional lateral shift in consciousness/Being, mainly revolving around mindfulness, but also incorporating discipline and higher awareness. Think Wim Hoff or David Blaine type stuff (both of whom heavily focus on Ni and Fi, just in opposite orders). It's all about controlling and shaping the abstract or theoretical (which includes the future) self, but it can be brought into the present if you blur the concept of time.

I think the concept and strategies are simple and effective enough, but the real barrier is rather earthly in nature (like suffering, distractions, or mental illness for example).

So for me (even though I suck at following my own guidance here), perfection in theory can be embodied in a moment of intent, no matter where one is, and it can be carried with oneself and used in the form of discipline as a tool to bend one's surroundings and circumstances into a more appealing shape.

But it always comes from within, and so cannot be pursued and captured.

Full disclosure: I do have an image of ideal Me in my head, but I'm still aware that perfection, like most things (everything?) is a construct. I suppose pathology would be too. It's all relative.

Now who doesn't make any sense?
    Last edited by Peter Deadpan; 02-09-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    Likes Madboot liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

No apologies, I speak Ni well enough (usually) and understood what you were saying.

For me, the closest thing to perfection is a frame of mind that can be had in an instant with an intentional lateral shift in consciousness/Being, mainly revolving around mindfulness, but also incorporating discipline and higher awareness. Think Wim Hoff or David Blaine type stuff (both of whom heavily focus on Ni and Fi, just in opposite orders). It's all about controlling and shaping the abstract or theoretical (which includes the future) self, but it can be brought into the present if you blur the concept of time.

I think the concept and strategies are simple and effective enough, but the real barrier is rather earthly in nature (like suffering, distractions, or mental illness for example).

So for me (even though I suck at following my own guidance here), perfection in theory can be embodied in a moment of intent, no matter where one is, and it can be carried with oneself and used in the form of discipline as a tool to bend one's surroundings and circumstances into a more appealing shape.

But it always comes from within, and so cannot be pursued and captured.

Full disclosure: I do have an image of ideal Me in my head, but I'm still aware that perfection, like manner things (everything?) is a construct. I suppose pathology would be too. It's all relative.

Now who doesn't make any sense?
    You're making perfect sense to me. I think we are saying very similar things, just coming from different angles.

Ieyasu Tokugawa
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post